Is Strafing Run for Hal Jordan Over-Used?

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by YELLOWFER, Jul 7, 2014.

1. YELLOWFER Active Player

I've faced countless Hals' in legends pvp and he keeps using the strafing run one after another and each not only does a large amount of instant damage but also inflicts after damage which is very annoying. What I don't understand is why the strafing run is not a supercharge for Hal when the actual HL's strafing run is a whopping 50% supercharge. In addition to that I've seen Hal use 3 or even 4 strafing runs consecutively. This is really annoying in lair battles as it is in an enclosed area and hal uses his strafing run 3 times in a row with a 5 -10 second cool down with each. I'm not a person who is willing to spend 10 dollars for a legends character when I can buy a dlc. I'm just saying if there was a decent cool down time then this wouldn't be a problem, but until this is fixed I believe that strafing run is used much too often.
  2. Sabigya Steadfast Player

"Instant". One roll and it negates all damage.
    Hal is a mid tier character. His strafing run takes a considerable amount of power.
    Where as Lex, Much harder to dodge hits much harder.
    There are much larger problems than Hal's jet. Which is completely avoidable.
    Removing or lower Hal's ability will drop him in the tier list by a significant amount.

Its not a supercharge because Hal is the strongest green lantern. He should not be compared to a low rank Hard Light user.
    How is this even over used. I rarely come across Hal's. Especially good ones.
    • Like x 3
  3. Crimson Jonni New Player

Prepare for the mass amount of people getting ready to attempt to humiliate you with snarky remarks and sarcasm.
    Now i know where you're coming from, however i feel like its used alot because its one of if not his only good aoe move. It stuns you, has a bit of burst and applies a dot which is great, one of his most useful moves easily. In lairs its a bit more difficult to deal with as you've said. All i can reccomend is breaking out and dodging immediately. Unlike Lex's aoe, Hals has a bit of delay before it hits so its best to roll out of the way asap. Also if you are able to , there is a short timeframe which you can use to punish hal before he has a chance to block. When he uses it dodge and punish until it cools down
    • Like x 2
  4. Crimson Jonni New Player

Hal? I'd say the most Iconic, Kyle rayner and Sodam Yat are up there
    Unless you're talking about without any entities then i'd guess it would be between Hal and Yat
  5. Sabigya Steadfast Player

Still is one of the higest ranking/powerful lanterns out there. And should not be compared to low ranked Hard Light's
    • Like x 2
  6. Crimson Jonni New Player

Fair enough lol. I let my fanboyism get the best of me xD
    • Like x 2
  7. Solutha New Player

Hal isn't half as good as he use to be. Strafing Run use to stun and hit no matter what you did plus the cool down was a lot shorter. He is balanced now. There are better options but he can hold his own.
    • Like x 2
  8. Crimson Jonni New Player

I remember those days lol. Heck, until recently, i didnt even know what hals other moves were, until people actually started using them
  9. Skarlet Lantern Level 30

I use Hal often. But Most of the time I forget to use strafing gun because im too focused on trying to counter my opponent. I have had a lot of matches where I didn't use it at all. And I do just fine without it. Unless it crits, it doesn't seem to do that much damage anyway. And a good player will just roll out of the way and you just wasted power.
  10. AtrocitusOmega Committed Player

That strafe run is avoidable not to mention hal has low health and the rest of his moves suck in my opinion. Most people i play just spam that stupid move, john stewart is better than him in legends.
  11. Hero of Justice New Player

There's a difference between an OP or overused move and a simple go-to move. Strafing run is one of the better options on Hal's loadout (although it has drawbacks, most notably the fact that it can be dodged entirely). Plus for inexperienced players I'm sure it gets used a lot more than it should because it's a SC to normal HL users but just a normal power to them, hence the assumption that it has to be his best move. But it's fine the way it is.
    • Like x 2
  12. DaiKaiJu New Player

Yep. When Hal first came out, his DoT did way more damage as already previously stated.

As you get more familiar with the characters you learn what to expect from each one and which character is better for which map.

Hal has no defensive moves (Shield/Knock back) so he is going to be more of a damage out character. His health is right there with Kilowog's so he is just at the center and above the other lower health characters.

New players and players who don't know how to/avoid fighting face to face will fly in the air and spam Strafing Run on ground targets. Just get a teammate to get on him or you get on him and all will be well.
  13. Sir Arcanium New Player

It's good, but not completely insane. It does get more difficult on node matches where if you avoid the attack your most likely giving up contesting the node. In groups where there are TWO or more characters with AoE'S like that Lex, Hal etc it is a clear advantages. Simply put you take the dmg or your fail to contest the node as they can pretty much keep it up.

Lets just hope it's not like Saint Walker. People complained about his SC now it's cool down is so long you can't even think of using it twice in a match. You'll have built up over 100% SC before you can use the 50% again lol. SC are a tough thing in legends. Most matches don't last very long, and many mechanics reset your SC. I pretty much never see my SC lair battles because it takes too long.
  14. Clutchmeister Loyal Player

That SC is actually pretty balanced when you take into consideration the tools that saint has. He has a shield and the best DPS dot in the game (when it's up, if we're factoring cooldowns then SG wins). The DoT is easily avoidable but is useful on node maps with a combination of the push back & the other player/s being forced to stand in it if they want to stop point drain. He's also got one of the two best weapons in legends right now thanks to how awesome four tap hold is post-buff. Saint's actually pretty well balanced all round as he's a great example of a character who's good at one thing, is alright at another yet lacks in a particular area (DoT is good but counterable/avoidable, he can be survivable with sc/shield but if you get countered he will melt and lacks in counter punishment rather severely).

The only reason it seems poor is because Atro's is so ridiculously overpowered on top of Bane's also being too good.

As far as Hal, his strafing run is a perfect example of a balanced DoT. I wish they were all like it.
    • Like x 1
  15. Ice Clown New Player

i personally think hal is only good because of that jet spam. without being able to spam it would make him well... kinda like steel atm since he has low hp and low dmg.
    nerfing that jet would really make hal a bad toon since thats what hes known for in legend lol
  16. Sir Arcanium New Player

Yeah I like saint, he's a pretty well rounded toon and I can win with him pretty well most of the time, depending on my team. At least he's not a one trick pony and survived the nerf. Hal however doesn't really have much else to fall back on atm if they nerfed the jet strike.
  17. Clutchmeister Loyal Player

Number 1 is good for for combo & clip with number 5 for counter punishment, number 2 also does higher than average single target damage.

The thing he needs most is for his lame *** BB to be fixed!
  18. Sir Arcanium New Player

I hate that his number 3? move the one that does extra dmg if enemy is 35% or less. On saint it's this sort of charge up martial arts combo with a lot of little hits finished with a big palm strike. The annoying bit is while your doing it your vulnerable to interrupt like your doing a ranged combo... yet if you hit some one blocking you don't break their block.

I could live with the interrupt but at least if he's going to have it at least let it BB too lol.
  19. Jbizzahalla175 New Player

It's not that bad....when Hal first came out u could spam it every 2 seconds....now it's prob around 8 second cool down....lex Luther has the same power too and it not that bad either....I mean it's hit hard but I don't think it's op....

I can understand why ur annoyed though....
  20. Sabigya Steadfast Player

If you clip your BB with that move it will land 100% if they do not break out with a trinket.
    It would be disastrous if vulnerable to interrupt combos would block break same with blockable moves.