I Broke His Blocks, But He Wouldn't Fall...

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by Hhussk, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Clutchmeister Loyal Player

You said a noob smashing buttons is countering correctly I.E. on reaction, when in fact it is prediction.

You were wrong.

This is just more proof as to why balancing and mechanic changes in general should be left to those who know what they're talking about.
  2. ChaosInternational New Player

Yeah, a button smasher landing a BB on a blocking player means they reacted accordingly and therefore countered on reaction. Now, a day one nub may not be aware of what they did but the statement stands! *flips table*
  3. Clutchmeister Loyal Player

This whole message shows how little you know, because what you just said isn't playing on reaction!

What's so hard to understand about seeing someone block and then pressing a damn button being reactionary gameplay but someone smashing buttons aren't reacting to anything!?
  4. ChaosInternational New Player

The differentiation is immaterial when the end results are the exact same. A player does the action of blocking, the nub manages a BB right then being the REACTION. It's simple physics, really.
  5. Karasawa Loyal Player

What.
    • Like x 2
  6. ChaosInternational New Player

Did you need some clarity or were you just being facetious?
  7. Karasawa Loyal Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 2
  8. Brondulfr New Player

Yes, technically anything you do as a response to something else is a reaction, even if it yielded unintentional results. Congratulations, you win the technicallity award. However, that doesn't seem to be the point clutch is trying to make, so it's irrelevant.
  9. Karasawa Loyal Player

Technically, that's incorrect. "Reaction" by definition is an action performed in response to an event. "Random" is an action made without conscious decision.
    • Like x 1
  10. SilverBullet Dedicated Player

The counter mechanics are broken in pvp. I got burnt out from pvp again because of that. Change your game plan all you want. Nothing will change. I rarely use counters anymore because of that. I see other players that rarely use counters also. there are some players that get to spam counters. Some Even get counters they don't deserve to get and, avoid counters they deserve to get.
  11. Brondulfr New Player

omg I hate to get into this but, if my reaction to a block is to button mash, that is still a reaction.

But do we really need to keep going with this? I think everyone knows what clutch meant when he spoke about reaction at this point, and if they don't, they should read his posts again.
  12. Clutchmeister Loyal Player

"something done, felt, or thought in response to a situation or event."

So just randomly pressing buttons and landing a counter isn't actually a reaction. A reaction is when you respond to a certain stimulus, so for example blockbreaking when you see a block or interrupting when you see a block break or roll.
  13. Karasawa Loyal Player

"Button mash" is by definition randomly pressing keys. Technically, you can react to an event with a random action. So if you see someone block you can randomly react by opening your inventory, taking a screen shot, or pressing any of the 104 keys on a standard keyboard plus the 2 mouse buttons. But if you're skilled enough to see someone tap block and react with any of those actions within 750 ms then I'd recommend just BBing them instead.
  14. Brondulfr New Player

Believe me, the desire to argue with you on this is eating me up inside, but I don't think it will be productive.

Also, do you make youtube guides, or can you recommend one that explains the counter system in depth(like how the counter system is used and performs in high-level play)?
  15. Redscreen5 New Player

I don't see how there's a comparison. Lag on the PC probably equates to normal play on a PS4. PS3 is unplayable from my previous experiences. I cant remember the last time I had lag playing on PC. I think the whole PSN thing slows it down.
  16. ChaosInternational New Player

Now that the technicalities are ironed out.

I'm well aware of the point he was trying to make, that's why I countered it with rational logic. There's nothing special about countering when the opportunity arises. If it were based on animations, it might be worth noting because that takes skill and learning your opponent, simple pattern recognition. The counter windows are a hollow void leaving players vulnerable for far longer than they should.
  17. Redscreen5 New Player

I understand what you are trying to emphasize, for any player to land a block break is by simple definition a "reaction", but there is a difference. There's guessing / anticipating which is not always in accordance to what an opponent does, and there's block breaking with accordance to what an opponent does.

I guess you could say one's artificial and one is dependent on the occurrence of it in actuality. That's the difference.
  18. Clutchmeister Loyal Player

I'm assuming this is your home planet?

[IMG]
  19. Karasawa Loyal Player

Now that I think about it, if someone were to actually REACT to a block by button mashing then yes, it's a reaction. A stupid reaction, but still a reaction.

However, a coincidence like performing a random BB at the same time someone happens to block is not a reaction. They're simply two independent actions that randomly coincided to produce an unforeseen result. So it's a result but not a reaction. A reaction isn't random.
    • Like x 1
  20. Clutchmeister Loyal Player

Which means he's still wrong as he said a random noob smashing buttons is still a reaction if they do it and someone just happens to block when they press the block break. That isn't a reaction in any form of reasoning.

This thread really should be locked anyway, despite how much laughter it's providing me.