Just a quick question about the F2P feature matrix

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by InvisibleInk, May 21, 2014.

1. Archangel Rafael New Player

you're probably correct here. The "play your way" "3 choices of how to play" sales puffery is somewhat misleading, but then that's the nature of sales puffery relating to pretty much all consumer offerings in America: somewhat misleading.

It might be wise to only offer the oldest dlcs as a set for a reduced cost while offering the newest 2-3 as standalones. At least that would cut down on newb players buying DLCs that turn out to be mostly useless to them.

They're not going to come out and say "we don't really encourage or support long-term play from premium status" just like they're not going to tell the potential new player "... but, as a premium player, the cash cap will make it increasingly difficult to advance your character as you move up tiers. Eventually you will have to subscribe or be stuck, unable to advance."

They're not going to say that stuff just like any other sales puffery doesn't point out the shortcomings of the product.
    • Like x 2
  2. Al Mandrake New Player

To the OP, you need to understand something. The vast majority of players that come to the forums believe DCUO should be 2 things: 1. Subscriptions only( never mind it was failing as such before and would again ) and 2. their private personal playground that only allows others in when they need bodies for missions they can't solo on their own.

Nothing will ever be improved as far as F2P or Premium, which means nothing will ever be improved for Legendary either, I have long since given up on them doing the game this could be justice and moved on to Champions Online. You should do the same, in fact many DCUO players have and are glad to never look back.
  3. InvisibleInk Active Player

Lockbox Online. I hate. Hate hate hate cryptic's take on F2P. It works. I'll give them that. But even if you subscribe you're still stuck paying cash for random stuff they put out. I know they've been working on it so I'll give it a fair shake, but in a few months probably. As I said, my primary request here is that they [the devs] sit down and have a meeting regarding the topic. I'm sure they do regularly but pretty much everybody agrees that it could be better, get rid of the false dilemma between renting/purchasing, put the credit cap to something a bit more reasonable like 50k, still keep the huge emphasis on the subscription model, and require as little development time as possible.

If SOE doesn't want to take another bite at the F2P apple, thats on them. I still don't understand the overwhelming hostility from some players about the topic being broached. It wouldn't take an inordinate amount of time to revamp the F2P scheme to accomplish all those goals. I've always found that limiting access to dungeons and PVP rather than limiting basic currency to be far more effective.

If you shifted it so that level 30 premium players only had access to the daily bonus dungeons and removed the credit cap entirely you'd be able to hold only players longer, keep them logging in on a regular basis, and increase the conversion from premium to legendary. Create a system that achieves roughly the same goals for PVP.

Meanwhile, there is a LOT of various feedback in this thread. With the launch of All Access, this is a prime opportunity. According to a lot of people in this thread, the issue comes up on the regular. Distilled down to the very basics, the F2P model as it stands presently lacks coherence and lacks polish, and that is feedback from both sides of this discussion.

I don't believe that if the DCUO team said "Hey, we want to take a second bite at the F2P apple" to SOE corporate that SOE corporate would say no as long as they walked in with a gameplan and clearcut goals and metrics by which to measure those goals. Minor tweaks can have a huge impact if you're tweaking the right thing.
  4. Fyre Active Player

Man, this thread just proves my point that a small minority of people in this game are entitled douches, the people saying f2p should be trial and other ridiculous restrictions.

I still maintain the notion that the whole matrix needs a revamp to fit with the times, first starting with DLCs and the cash cap. It's a fact that DLCs happen to be getting smaller and are offering less bang for your buck, the cash cap either needs to be increased for both f2p and premium or gotten rid of completely. The game is also happens to attract comic book fans obviously, but unfortunately that particular brand of entertainment contains the worst entitled ****heads I've ever met. And I also happen to be an avid comic reader.

Superhero game + Marketplace = Profit.
  5. InvisibleInk Active Player

I'm not sure I entirely agree with your assessment of the forum goers, but like I said, I can see why they removed the forums from the community section.

The sense of an unlimited free trial masquerading as a proper F2P business model just rubs me the wrong way.
    • Like x 1
  6. InvisibleInk Active Player

Another idea. Could always just be able to repair using escrow funds. I mean, thats the main reason people complain about the credit cap. There are a bunch of reasonable solutions to the problem.
  7. InvisibleInk Active Player

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOK. So I subbed and I still have feedback.

T4 hump sucks.

From reddit :
    " Yes. Ideally I think they could just let people create whatever they want for the first character. Repairing out of escrow. Reducing T3 to 260 marks equivalent and T4 to 320 marks equivalent."

Now that first bit of that... I could see being a pretty big promotional thing. T4 hump sucks though.

Secondly, there is the villain disparity. I like playing a villain. I like the people I've met playing a villain. I think that making the switch from DPS to whatever your alternate role is is just too dear. And then the population crunch on the villains side is just silly.

Also. Skill point grinding. Its all tied to achievements. No way to get them passively through play. This is doubly true for things like... Complete 500 dailies here. Complete 500 duos there.

Those aren't achievements. Grinding is not acheivements. And if you don't like scavenger hunts and grinding... this is REAAAAAAALY not the game for you. Overall I like the philosophy of it. Achievements should be fun and interesting but they should not be grindy to that extent and they should NOT be the only and primary method of end game personal power advancement, especially on the scale of over octuple the base number of skill points.

I'm sure I could reach for more feedback but really.... I think thats enough for now other than finding some T4 duos to put in