Wishful Thinking: Role Duty Description Placement

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Twilight Man, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Twilight Man New Player

The below screen is seen before joining an instance, the player is asked what role they plan to perform with a brief description of each roles duties and in my opinion it's one of the best features ever added to the game:
    [IMG]
    (I found this image on Google)

It would be nice if this info on role duties was added to several other locations in the game. As it is currently a player begins the game in Damage role and learns of the Tank, Healer and Controller roles at level 10. They receive a paragraph long email about their non-Damage role and 9-10 second long audio message from Oracle/Calculator. There aren't many other places to find this information in-game.

Other Possible Options for Sharing This Information In-game:
    • A collectable base item that projects or displays the role duties onto your base wall, wherever it's placed
    • A new four part Briefing placed in easily accessible and visible open world areas, in order to ensure as many players as possible find and hear them. The reward for finishing the briefing could be a style item like a shirt that says "I know my role"...or something. Each briefing would represent one of the 4 roles and play a short audio description of it's duties/advantages. These could be voiced by literally anyone, be it an actor, staff member or player. They could be humorous or serious as long as it remained educational.
    [IMG]
    • An object projecting the info into the enviornment, placed somewhere within or all throughout the Watchtower, Hall of Doom, Central City, Gotham Wasteland, Mogo and Themyscira.
    [IMG]
    It would be something always visible and legible in the existing environment, like so many other floating effects or imagery already there.
    • An Ambush Bug themed Vault-like room you activate from the "On Duty" tab called "Role Challenge". Where you control a generic avatar (maybe it looks like the Base item training dummy). Based on the role you chose before starting the Role Challenge, Ambush Bug will put you through lighthearted obstacles designed around that roles specific duties. It would be playable for up to 4 people at once.
    I also think the descriptions of each roles duties need to include a bit more info with possibly a scenario example for reference.

The information shared would not be intended to force people into thinking there is only one way to play each of the 4 roles, but instead to educate on the foundation of each roles advantages. What players decide to do with that information afterwards is up to them.
    • Like x 2
  2. Statman New Player

Out of these ideas, I only like the Role Challenge idea. The others can be ignored very very easily, and even I wouldn't pay attention to those, even before I knew what the hell was going on (part of the reason I didn't find out what was going on for a few months!).
    • Mail: Collect reward, delete mail. I don't care what's written there, lol.
    • Base item: Likely to look stupid, not going in my base.
    • Briefing: Collect, ignore what's being said.
    And I'd bet this is what a lot of people would also do. I mean, how many times have you heard of people asking how to get to the Watchtower? There's a mission showing them that and they fail to remember (low levels excluded). I'd bet even the Role Challenge idea would prove ineffective for some players, on the same basis. People will only learn when they are ready to learn, which for some proves to be never, lol.

It does bug me that there's no description of your role when you are setting your loadouts though, you're in something specific to the type of play (and also, why is it named 'Defense' in the loadout screen? It's Tank everywhere else!) for that role, so it would be a great place to put it, though probably as ineffective as writing anywhere else, at least it's in a understandable location.
  3. Twilight Man New Player

Man, I know trust me and as much as it may bug it's true. People only open up to info when they are ready. Something you're reminded of every time this game is played.

But I guess that's gamers in general really, many don't read or take in info provided until progression is forced to a halt and it's time to seek a solution elsewhere. Then they jump on the forums or youtube.

I do wish I could help on a grander scale though.
    • Like x 1
  4. Statman New Player

I do know what you mean! Gamers just already know everything and don't need to be taught anything ever. :p
    • Like x 2
  5. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

Agreed. The only method of teaching people their role/how to play is to hold their hand through the process, not have information scattered about for them to stop and read/listen. A challenge mode "tutorial" is necessary and should take precedent over anything else they add and that includes instances in DLCs.

If they said "we're adding a challenge mode, but it means you wont be getting open world content in the next DLC" I wouldnt even hesitate to tell them to pull the trigger.
    • Like x 1
  6. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

Exactly why this game has an issue with players not knowing how to do simple tasks. There is nothing in the game itself, besides vague descriptions and god awful loading screen tips (when in an instance, you are part of a team!...Thanks loading screen!) that tell us how to play or what to do. It falls on the individual to go out on the forums/youtube to figure out how to play or luck into someone nice enough to explain things. If I didnt have the latter I would have stopped playing because god knows I wasnt going to put in effort and read how each power works and what PIs work with each other, or what PI even meant, etc.
    • Like x 1
  7. Twilight Man New Player

I mean am happy the tips are there...but yeah, I feel you on that lol.