Parademon inspired gear - HoP1 teaser!

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by FESTER665, May 28, 2014.

1. Spytle Executive Creative Director

Not sure how. I didn't say anything...did I?
    • Like x 4
  2. RageOfHeaven1990 New Player

I'm assuming we will get more info during the SOE live roadmap for the next year. I can't wait to see what you all have came up with. :D
    • Like x 1
  3. Artillery Zero Well-Known Player

Am I the only one who saw the title as "Pokemon inspired gear - HoP1 teaser!"?
    • Like x 4
  4. Harlequin Devoted Player

I'm holding out hope that the "vendor gear being the best" thing is simply because there was no raid to contain better gear. I absolutely disagree with the notion that vendor gear should be better than raid drops, period.
    • Like x 1
  5. Jafin 10000 Post Club

Sound powers confirmed.

Ok I'll stop now, I'm sorry.
    • Like x 3
  6. Jafin 10000 Post Club

No.

Every. Damn. Time.
    • Like x 1
  7. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

I disagree with your disagreement. The 'best' gear should be available to everyone from vendors. Not everyone enjoys raids. I could say that my preference is for the best gear to drop in solos and duos - but not everyone likes those.

The fairest way to distribute the best gear is a vendor. People can then grind marks how they choose..to gear up for raids that drop feat styles.
    • Like x 3
  8. Harlequin Devoted Player

If you're not raiding, why do you need that gear?

edit: DLC9 was a good model for raid gear going forward, IMO. You could gear up for the raid using marks from whatever and could still get upgrades from the 8-man content.
  9. willflynne 10000 Post Club

If you can get into the raid without the super best loot drops from the raid, why do you need the drops? :D
    • Like x 3
  10. Jafin 10000 Post Club

Does nobody remember that this whole best gear being from raids thing is a relatively new concept? The best gear was always vendor gear up until near the end of the Tier 4 life cycle when Hand of Fate introduced gear that was one level higher than the Tier 4 vendor gear.
    • Like x 5
  11. MyrVell Committed Player

Why do you want your progression left up to random chance?
    • Like x 3
  12. Archangel Rafael New Player

Exactly! The son-swap thing is just a really an engaging plot mechanic. I don't know a single comic reader who wasn't immediately pulled in by that. "Wait wha ...? The head good guy and the head evil guy traded ... kids?!?" Who doesn't keep reading after that?

The support character's importance comes in because they are all so interrelated. Steppenwolf is the guy that killed MM's mom for example. Also how Darkseid has all these minions who all have their own strange powers and motivations. Sometimes they do his bidding, sometimes they go rogue or even try to betray the Might One. New Genesis is kinda bland compared to the cast of Apokalips but HighFather has his subordinate agents as well which brings us back to (lolz) the Forever People

So many characters that have things to make them really interesting. I know DCUO can't possibly hold them all. Which particular ones isn't important. What's important is to get that feeling of "epic".
    [IMG]
  13. chipzes Committed Player

Omg. Please devs, Pokémon inspired gear in Halls of Power!! Make it happen! :D
  14. Harlequin Devoted Player

It's a MMO thing.

I have no problem with there being good vendor gear. In fact, I used vendor gear in several other MMOs to fill holes in my set but the very best, most optimized pieces were drops. That min/max gear was the reward for banging our faces against the bosses in that content, the carrot on the stick. It kept us farming the content to complete our perfect gear sets. That's kind of what raiding is all about after getting the content on farm.

In short, let there be vendor gear. Let the CR be the same, I don't care. However, the best versions, the most optimized gear, should be rewards from clearing the raid content, not from running 76789 duos.
  15. MyrVell Committed Player

Great. Have the raids drop reward boxes at the end that let you pick your piece and I'll be all for it. Don't bother with the "gear up too fast" argument. There are 14 item slots, meaning it would take 3 months to complete a set. If the replay crowd wants to pay to win, fine. Doesn't affect me.
  16. Harlequin Devoted Player

So, buy vendor gear to fill holes in your kit until you get the drops. That's what it should be for.

It would be a damn shame if content were to actually last for 3 months. My god, the horror!
  17. Archangel Rafael New Player

Getting the gear from raids is one thing. I can mostly support that.

Randomosity is different subject entirely. I despise that to the bottom of my soul. Random drops encourage everything that's bad about MMO gaming. Encouraging a gambling-addiction like behavior in players is at the top of that list of negatives.

How is it "not ok" to get the best gear by running 76789 duos, but it's ok to run 76789 raids for a chance to not get it? That's wrong. Random+rare drops for the be-all end-all is wrong.

Random drops are fine and add interest to the loot system, but when it turns into "the best is random so I farm for chances", like a gambling addict with a slot-machine or a scratch-off ticket. That's unhealthy, disgusting, even evil.
    • Like x 4
  18. MyrVell Committed Player

Not sure if that second part was serious? I basically said under normal conditions it would take 3 months, but you would be guaranteed to be there, instead of probably missing several pieces because the RNG god wasn't kind to you.
  19. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

20. Archangel Rafael New Player

If you mean 3 months of replaying the crap out of a single raid hoping to get the certain drop you need then yes, exactly, "the horror".

Role-attuned gear is a good solution but it's downside is it cuts replay requirements compared to buying with marks.

FYI this game launched with vendor iconic gear as the pinnacle. That's the model. The rare-drop crap was the departure.

Random rare drops, that are also role-locked is a non-starter.
    • Like x 2