Has Technology become awesome or gone too far?

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Has2besaid, May 20, 2014.

1. Has2besaid Committed Player

Sup,

I was surfing you tube when I saw this video of a computer generated Michael Jackson performance. The dancers around him are real. Only he is a illusion or hologram or CGI or whatever.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jDRTghGZ7XU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jDRTghGZ7XU#t=113
    I didn't know what to think to tell you the truth. I loved the song, loved the performance, and really missed MJ's music and work. However, it was a little creepy seeing the computer generated face an body (I think t was his body as well). Then I read a couple of comments about how it was disrespectful and how the music industry has cheapened the artists work by showing that even after you die you can be replaced with some 0's and 1's and some smoke and mirrors. Some said they are so desperate to make money they won't let the man rest in piece, and some said this was just the beginning and that soon they'd bring back as a hologram anyone who passed away who they felt was irreplaceable from Elvis to Mr. Rogers. Some even said that the music industry was denying the next generation of performers their time to shine by turning to dearly departed to bring in the crowds

There were are few however that argued that MJ would have thought it was cool since he loved incorporating technology and special effects into his performances. Thriller, Smooth Criminal, Black or White anyone.

All of these arguments had merit to me, However, although I do have reservations, I loved this performance and know that no one, not even a hologram, will ever be able to replace the King of Pop. Indeed, I'm reminded every time I watch American Idol or America's Got talent or what not and one of the contestants dare to try tossing Michael or Whitney or Mariah and fails epically. However, if we'll do this...what will we allow when cloning is mastered. What do you think? Has technology gone too far, or not far enough.
  2. Has2besaid Committed Player

3. Has2besaid Committed Player

Hmmn. Cant get the video to post. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong.
  4. Drifting Dreamer Steadfast Player

I'ma come at this from two angles.
    1) As a lover of Sci-fi (not SyFy ... which is nothing :D) and a technophile to the max I love that we have gotten to the point of viable and fully workable holograms. The potential of it is staggering. Imagine the changes it could bring to life in general. Classrooms would now be circular as there wouldn't be a 'bad view.' Revisiting those old home movies would be like reliving those days, with you able to 'walk' through it. The list continues but you see where I'm going. Soon your 8400 inch flat screen may be replaced by a 1x1x1 inch cube which will have a better display quality than anything we can yet imagine.

2) However, this does not mean that I can now go see Elvis in concert. M*&&%F&%*er is dead! Same with Tupac, MJ, Bob Marley, and on and on. NO! The executors of their estates should not be able to license them out like that. Its Necro-prostitution and just wrong. The thing about live shows (and why they're so expensive) is that they are once in a life time things. And they're made even more super rare by the fact that the person can ... well ... die. Also, does this mean Natalie Wood is soon to be a star again? Are we about to see James Dean's carrier take off again. Will the real Superman, Chris Reeve, finally take his role back from these sad little boy imposters?? (As far as James goes ... here's to hoping that never happens) but you see my points.

The tech is awesome and awe-inspiring, but, those in control of it must be responsible and stop being greedy *^$(&^I)()es.
    :D
    • Like x 1
  5. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

I choose option 3: Not far enough.

I want my damn flying car.
    • Like x 11
  6. Ghaladh Dedicated Player

When I will conquer the world, I will allow scientists to clone a copy of everyone at his/her birth. This copy will have no rights and it will be used for manual labor and organ-donor while the original will be free to spend as much time as he/she wants playing DCUO. Will you support my coup d'etat? :-D

Jokes aside, I'd really wish to see science freed from the control of those self-righteous backward thinkers.
    • Like x 3
  7. Ghaladh Dedicated Player

P.S.: thinking again about what I wrote, I thought it would be wise to specify that I don't want to see an "out-of-control" science Mengele-style! I meant that certain ethical concerns are starting to be outdated and are preventing further development (stem cells use prohibition, for instance).
  8. Yui Loyal Player

This isn't exaclty the first time that CGI's or holograms were used as performers in a concert or a performance in the place of actual performers.

Now, to answer your question, it really depends on how you view this.
    Here are some pros and cons that I could think of:
    Pros
    1. For people who didn't really get the chance to go MJ concerts, this is a good thing, somehow.
    2. This may attract new people who don't really know MJ to become fans.
    Cons:
    1. Like you said, a hologram can't really replace the actual MJ.
    • Like x 1
  9. Drifting Dreamer Steadfast Player

I'm in agreement with everything, except, using a dead artist for monetary gain.
    I believe stim cells are the future of medicine ... It'd be better than the chemicals we force into our brains everyday
    Flying cars ... yes please!
    Better yet, cars that can drive themselves. I'd love to have an extra 30 minutes of sleep a day.

I think my point about artists can be best exemplified by two words Milly Vanilly. If what they did was so wrong (using someone else's vocal sounds as their own both recorded and in concert. They were caught when their record began to skip during a concert, and, rather than continue to say the same line over and over while the tech team worked, one of the band members just left the stage. The music and things he was meant to be singing continued to play) then how is what was done with MJ or Tupac several years ago, any different. Yes, it IS that person's music. Yes, it IS that person's voice. But, that body, ISN'T that person's body ... cause they're ... dead
    Again though, this IS just me
  10. blazeing fire111 Devoted Player

This is worse then those fake artist aka lip singers!!
  11. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

I don't have a problem with this, as long as they have the permission from the artist's estate(s). If people don't like it, it'll show in the ticket sales and this little venture can die... Again. The difference between this and other fakery is that they are upfront about it and it's clear that it won't be live vocals.;)

Caveat emptor.
  12. SKAVANGER408 New Player

2 pac performance was the best ever!
    • Like x 1
  13. Artillery Zero Well-Known Player

Pfft, flying car I want some god damned starships already!
    • Like x 1
  14. CarlynnCarnage 10000 Post Club

Hover
    Freaking
    Board
    • Like x 4
  15. Weapon meX New Player

A 3D hologram is similar yet almost no different than viewing a 2D video representation of a performance.

both require similar technology, to function.

people generally speaking watch youtube videos in unison over a million times a day, nothing unethical about that activity.

These 3D performances are new to our shores, yet this is neither the case in places like Japan and South Korea, Yui provided good examples of those Vocaloid concerts.

These emerging Live 3D holohraphic performances will not subside and they will take time for the genral populous in the United States to grow accustomed to them.

This technology is not far off from being introduced into your living rooms, replacing and updating your current HD televisions and into our Cinemas as a new way to view true 3D Movies without the nuisance of 3D glasses.

Where will this further go? Long in Photonics and Holography there has exist Manipulative Holograms that use computer generated algorithms(pre-programmed coding) that much like the PS Move and Xbox Kinect can interact with a persons movement, speech and depth of position to generate live responses to your speech and movements. With that, we will see not only integration into our living rooms but into our future gaming experiences.

With A.I. on the horizon, integration with Photonics is inevitable. Augmented space Reality will also eventually merge with Photonics as well. These are pre-cursors to something greater.

Note we are in a 'biological' sense 1s and 0s. I can see a future where the line between our physical space and cyber space is beyond our integration via peripherals. If humanity does not implode in on itself, that line i speak of will be no different than the air which surrounds us and which we breathe.

Imagine a world where we do not have to go hungry or thirsty, the Mana mentioned in books and in games can be physical, our loved ones passing on is not an end, where they can continue with us if they and we so choose it.

An aspect of life and survival is adapting and evolving. Becoming better and making it a better situation for us and our progeny.

If we were able to go back 200 years and try to explain the modern age we live in to people of the past, it's quite possible they would doubt anything being told to them in regards to technology, entertainment and even the internet. In so much that they would laugh it off, become angered at such claims and heretical talk or dismiss it all together.

But we have no time machines..so we cant. So, Pfffft look at this picture of this monkey dancing!
    [IMG]
    es muy CALIENTE!!! ARRrrrrribba!!
    • Like x 1