What came first? The chicken or the egg?

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Fatal Star, Apr 29, 2014.

1. melvinpox Devoted Player

That makes no sense.
  2. Mont New Player

Alien interaction.......... pregnant chicken escaped from ship
  3. EpicGamerForLife New Player

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? The chicken, no the egg, no the chicken, no the egg. It's enough to make your head spin right off your neck. We’ve all been through the logic; most of us end up at the same place. As Luna Lovegood, the dreamy yet dotty witch from Harry Potter put it when asked the riddle, "a circle has no beginning." And indeed, attempting to identify the first case of a circular cause and consequence is an exercise in utter futility. For those who don’t have a pat story involving a divine being who spits out perfectly formed species, it's a no-win situation.

But that doesn’t stop us from asking. Luckily for people kept awake at night by such quandaries, NPR’s Robert Krulwich recently got to the bottom of the dilemma when he, thankfully, stumbled across the video below.

Basically, many, many moons ago there was a chicken-like bird. It was genetically close to a chicken, but wasn’t a full-blown chicken yet. Krulwich calls it a proto-chicken. So proto-hen laid an egg, and proto-rooster fertilized it. But when the genes from ma and pa almost-chicken fused, they combined in a new way, creating a mutation that accidently made the baby different from its parents. Although it would take millennia for the difference to be noticed, that egg was different enough to become the official progenitor of a new species, now known as … the chicken! So in a nutshell (or an eggshell, if you like), two birds that weren’t really chickens created a chicken egg, and hence, we have an answer: The egg came first, and then it hatched a chicken.

Maybe the question we should be asking is: Which came first, the proto-chicken or the proto-chicken egg? --http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/stories/finally-answered-which-came-first-the-chicken-or-the-egg
  4. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

I think he is referencing the theory that modern chickens evolved from dinosaurs over millions of years. Dinosaurs laid eggs, so the creature that modern day chickens evolved from probably laid eggs. Therefore, the egg comes first.

EDIT: did you watch that video that was posted? It's a pretty cool one.
    • Like x 2
  5. TheRealDeathern New Player

I think dinosaurs laid eggs... since dinosaurs lived in a time way before chickens, the egg came first...

Case closed. :D
    • Like x 1
  6. TheRealDeathern New Player

Dang! You beat me to it...
    • Like x 1
  7. Mont New Player

8. Mont New Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  9. Breakforce Loyal Player

We have come a long way indeed. Modern science has allowed bipedal cats to wear snazzy yellow jackets!

YAY SCIENCE
    • Like x 1
  10. Mont New Player

one of Carlynns science nerds
  11. Breakforce Loyal Player

I am nobody's science nerd but my own
  12. Mont New Player

thats nice, but wasnt refering to u, but to the cat;)
  13. Breakforce Loyal Player

Awwww, I don't know why, but now I am kinda sad :(
  14. BroJPri New Player

if you go with the bible, then the chicken came first as "God" created animals themselves, not eggs and stuff, he created adults not babies, if you go with Science the the egg... or the chicken! x.x
    but who knows!
  15. Mont New Player

as u should be, an ego is a sad thing when deflated:p
  16. melvinpox Devoted Player

What came first? The chicken or your face?
  17. Mont New Player

typical politician, once they get ur vote, they r no longer nice
    • Like x 1
  18. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

My answer is....
  19. DC-Doll New Player

20. Free2BeMe Loyal Player

My answer to the OP's question.... Whichever one God made first :p