Cringe-worthy

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Notangie, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Willydon305 Well-Known Player

I focus more on the message thats trying to be conveyed; rather than a few meaningless grammatical errors. Being a snob with verbiage can potentially censor a brilliant mind, so as long as I can understand and follow what's being said, the spelling means nothing.
    • Like x 1
  2. HermanRuth New Player

Need "rolls" for...
    • Like x 2
  3. MercPony Devoted Player

Every time I see this one I'm always like "You can't have my bread!"

Example: Need rolls for Nexus
    Me: I don't think Lex/Batman is hungry
    • Like x 3
  4. BlackWingBeyond Committed Player

Bad grammar in general drives me nuts.
    [IMG]

My only exception is when is trying to tell me something mid-combat.
    • Like x 1
  5. Korvyne Committed Player

I was never good at English either, only thing that bothers me when reading is when "to" is used where it should be "too". Otherwise if I understand what's meant, that'll do. It's all about the content rather than the delivery for me.
    • Like x 1
  6. General Zod 10000 Post Club

Properly spelling every word, but then using "ur"...
    • Like x 4
  7. Feenicks New Player

I can haz grammar?
    • Like x 3
  8. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I don't know if it's quite cringe-worthy, but I do find myself noticing when people switch/mix-up the use of "affect" and "effect," especially when it comes to discussions about upcoming changes.
    • Like x 2
  9. Feenicks New Player

Effect=noun
    Affect=verb

That's how I keep them straight.
    • Like x 4
  10. Free2BeMe Loyal Player

So, I'm assuming you know the actual word is not "not-see", but the word that refers to German soldiers during Hitler's reign, right? I'm assuming you spelled it out "not-see" because the forums, for some reason, censor the actual word. I hope I'm right, anyway, because that part there was really bugging me :p

And I HATE when people either don't use apostrophes, or use them in the wrong place. The same thing goes for comma and semi-colon use; I hate it when people add a coma after every three words when they're not necessary, so I'm just sitting there reading a post, stopping every time I see a comma, and scratching my head.

I'm also not a huge fan of texting lingo, either, but I do use it in cases of quick communication. When actually texting someone to tell a story, though, I will use proper grammar, full sentences, capitalization, proper punctuation, etc. I was a huge English nut throughout my educational years, and I even took AP English in 12th grade because I couldn't get enough of the subject. I'm also a writer, so I spend a lot of time reading through what I write before I post it, and editing any mistakes I come across, because I'd much rather come off as a mature adult who knows what she's talking about, rather than a middle-schooler who spends almost the entirety of her day texting and gossiping with as little English knowledge as possible.

Also, I'm even so bad that I will occasionally use the British spelling/term in place of the American spelling/term, because even America has some really nasty spelling/grammar habits.

I do, however, take a break sometimes with my English "nuttiness" when it comes to posting in the Funhouse. If I'm just trying to have fun, or say something that's quick and to the point, you best believe I will, even if I end up sounding like a fool!

And I love the term "ya'll". I always use it. People think it's really unnatural for someone like me to use the term, but I also use "ain't" a lot, too, as that's just how some of us talk around here (I'm from Upstate New York), and it just works for me.
    • Like x 1
  11. GeoShock New Player

Probably half of what I write is wrong but english is not my first language so I don't care :)
    • Like x 1
  12. Red Skorpion Dedicated Player

i do all of these on the forums.. as i post a lot and i make many mistakes from not proofreading ... Oh well idc to be honest but i usually do not end sentenes with prepositions... XD
  13. Breakforce Loyal Player

I don't particularly mind, so long as the point being communicated can still be communicated.

This does not mean that I will not sit back in silent judgement of one's intelligence
    • Like x 3
  14. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

U R indisputably entitled to frown upon this, but it's precisely what I do.

Why?

Because I like to simultaneously antagonize both grammar snobs and the semi-illiterate. It saves time... :p
  15. Ghaladh Dedicated Player

The way an idea is communicated directly influences the positive or negative reception it gets in the listener. English is not my first language, but I try hard to express myself in the most accurate way; if you don't bother to refine the way you deliver the message, I am prone to think that you don't give so much importance to the message itself. Surely I will not be able to write an award-winning novel, but I do my best to learn and improve. Communication is one of the basic principles within a (civil) society can flourish and continue to exist.
    • Like x 2
  16. The Lone Stranger Devoted Player

I would have never guess English was not your first language reading this. Well, not if you hadn't said so!
    Your English is excellent!
    • Like x 2
  17. Ghaladh Dedicated Player

Thank you! You say so just because you didn't hear me slaughtering the language with my Italian accent and my wacky pronunciation. :-D
    • Like x 1
  18. Chungweishan New Player

I use "Like Dis Yall" like this:

Koreans. Not Texans. Wonder Girls - Hwaiting!
    • Like x 1
  19. CarlynnCarnage 10000 Post Club

When people type "a lot" as "alot" it makes me cringe every time.
    • Like x 4
  20. Serenity Abyss New Player

Your, you're, there, their, and they're....

I tend to cringe with those.
    Some people do not know how to use them, but I will admit that I have some trouble with affect and effect.
    • Like x 1