Work in Progress: Combat Balance

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Spytle, Feb 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObsidianChillSucks New Player

I guess you have never played fire, ice and sorc dps recently because those powersets jump cancel just as much as I would with gadgets or light.
    • Like x 5
  2. Spytle Executive Creative Director

I would have to defer to Tunso or Spord for those details. They are more qualified in regards to those details.
    • Like x 2
  3. Aqua New Player

This, this, this. I spend 50% of my time in the air when I ice dps.
    • Like x 1
  4. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

I'm not trying to twist anything, I in no way meant to imply that anyone specific wasn't good. I didn't mean to imply that you had to jump cancel to be good. These are not things I meant. BUT, there is a huge diverse level of skill between players. I've seen folks struggle on Trigon, then others solo it. Some say AnB is too hard, then you see folks 4 manning it. The unfortunate thing is that we're all playing within the same content.

Instead of blaming each other for twisting or trying to do something bad, can we just try to clarify our points and have a civil discussion? Sometimes it's tough to express an opinion, especially when limited to only a few paragraphs of writing. You've failed to grasp my points and instead keep finding offense in something i've said, I'm sorry maybe my communication needs some work.
    • Like x 6
  5. The Hornet New Player

This. Both of my Sorcery DPS friends lean on the jump-cancel.
    • Like x 1
  6. graydogg51 Well-Known Player

I frequently use the "Sandwich Technique" when I DPS. It's the technique where you just stand there and hold the triangle button while eating turkey sandwiches with my other hand. My question is, how will these changes affect my sandwich eating while raiding? Because I get hungry a lot while playing and I still need at least one free finger to hold triangle or else I'm not going to be able to contribute very much on the damage side.
    • Like x 7
  7. Avian Dedicated Player

While this is true, you are forgetting that most of these powers don't do it as effectively as top end dps powers. As far as I know fire has 2 ways to do this, but by doing so you actually lose damage from the power that lets you do the PT. I'm not a 100% sure on this, but I believe the same goes for some of the other powers you mentioned.
    • Like x 1
  8. Byren Well-Known Player

I definitely do not want to play that way...its a little too button-mashy for my tastes (and in my opinion is definitely not fun)...i'm very much looking forward to this change so there are other options than the uber-quick button mashy rotations.
    • Like x 5
  9. Little Sister New Player

This is getting intense : O

[IMG]
    • Like x 11
  10. thelostczarnian New Player

got me there man. i have limited experiencing dpsing with those sets indeed as well as nature and mental too.
  11. BLK Well-Known Player

12. kAiSeR007 Dedicated Player

Well, I already gave up on trying to give feedback in this topic since I felt that I was being attacked by many people here, but I'm going to give my last 2 cents on the JC and after I'm completely out. In this example I'm going to focus on HL.

Jump Cancelling powers like Fear Gas, Fan, Plasma Retch or Defile can be also clipped after some time by a range attack. In the case of HL (because each power have different times), once you have passed (I tested this) the 0.6s of Fan animation you can clip it with a tap range instead of a jump. This is a very critical factor to take into consideration, because if the minimun animation time is over 0.6s is not longer a JC since you can clip it with a tap range and do it faster.

Also, the bread and butter of HL is ST, Fan and Ram (into whip thrash). Considering that also the animations are going to be adjusted to the 1 - 1.2 seconds that will make ST slower (I believe ST animation is under 1s, someone may confirm this). So HL will be penalized twice with this new system, with the JC and with the animations adjustement.

I've made a short video, performing some of the most used combos are and tried to simulate how HL is going to look like. For doing this is tried to make Fan animation last around 0.5s, I also assumed that the "phantom triangle" is still viable. The differences between the combos are very noticable.

• Like x 9
  13. Byren Well-Known Player

wish i could +9000 my vote on this statement!!!
    • Like x 3
  14. Dump Truck New Player

I'm surprised no one suggested to buff fireburst or whirling dervish yet
  15. El Presidente Well-Known Player

I would agree if it wasn't so easy to be knocked out of the air and lose that position and then very slowly (while in weapon stance or whatever it's called) fly back there.
    • Like x 1
  16. Little Sister New Player

Honestly, most of this is over my head. I'm still trying to figure out the difference between charging a button and holding a button :confused:
  17. Tikkun Loyal Player

Hold doesn't have a loading bar. :)
    • Like x 1
  18. Little Sister New Player

Like a lunge ? Sorry I'm dumb lol

Nevermind, just tested and lunging has a bar too. I'm so lost.
  19. Zarathos New Player

I find this both mesmerizing and relevant to my interests.
    • Like x 4
  20. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

Don't worry I'm a little confused on that one too.

We have typically 3 types of range holds.

1) hold and release, IE DW, you have to hold it and when you release it it fires the attack. These are cumbersome as there is a level of server side lag that will cause inconsistencies on the timing. Which is while DW is pretty good right now I find I do better with HB as I can execute it more consistently.

2) Hold and let it play. IE 2h. You execute the hold, then the attack just plays out. These you can jump cancel the animation part canceling the effect, clipping would also cancel the effect.

3) No cast bar at all holds, IE MA, you hold, you clip, done deal.

Are DW and what not being made like 2h or MA? not sure.
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.