Armories Arrive in DCUO Next Week!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Captain Liberty, Jan 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrueOlympus New Player

why would you advocate for higher prices as a consumer? please stop that. 10 dollars is too much for a feature. period. You think this ability should be as expensive as a DLC? If so, You have discredited yourself in my eyes.
  2. Flemix Level 30

To endorse some of the things being said:

Making subscribers pay for what will in effect be a core mechanic is an outrage.
    We become Legendary to have full access to the game, period.

The pricing is way out of line with previous Marketplace offerings.
    Nearly the price of a full dlc for the most basic functionality limited to a single character.
    The price of a full priced retail game to unlock the full feature, and still only full for a single character.

Many MMOs include equivalent systems for free at launch for good reason.
    The current dual role system is severely lacking because of that missing functionality.
    Gross oversight is the only way to describe dcuo's current lack of a save spec feature.
    This makes the Armories the most desired item (being a fix really) on the Marketplace.
    Grossly overpricing the most wanted/needed item on the market is nothing short of extortion.

I agree giving subscribers 2 free Armories would be wise.
    A considerably lower price and redeemability would still be a must.

I also urge everyone to bring attention to this matter and to limit or refrain purchase of Armories
    until fair and reasonable amendments have been made to the current proposal.
    • Like x 2
  3. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

What do you think would be an acceptable price? One has to remember that if armories are account bound, each person will only buy a few. So the prices should scale. Imho.
  4. TrueOlympus New Player

You would be right, if you forget the fact that the product is already overpriced. It is overpriced because the product is not account bound. If the product does become account bound then the price is already scaled correctly. Your assumption would only hold true if the original price was $5 dollars. I see where you are coming from, but you have to take in the fact that the price is only high BECAUSE the product is not account bound.
  5. TeenWuulf Well-Known Player

Nah, bumping the price up to $10/armory with no price-break for multiples is not unreasonable if they become account-bound. You're right that the price as it is right now is too high for a consumable, but it would be too low as an account-bound item. Right now it's in a limbo area where it's too much for one, but not enough for the other.

The main problem I see with making this a redeemable is...Do they have to list 16 different armory items on the marketplace to handle multiple purchases? That would be cumbersome in the extreme. That issue may be why they opted for consumable in the first place.
  6. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

While I understand that many consider the prices high now, and I know you know this, but they are account bound atm. If you want the put it on a different character you just have to use the shared bank. They just aren't redeemable on all characters. If the current prices are kept, I'm going to spend $60 on 15 armouries and then never a dime more because I wouldn't have to. That, to me, is an incredible bargain. If armouries start at five dollars, how much is a bundle going to be? Let's say SOE makes armouries redeemable on all characters, then they become like $45 for 15. I would snap that up and never look back, remember, I'm not going to complain if they drop the prices, I just want them to make money on this venture. They make money, we get more stuff in the future. If they don't make money, we might not have a game for very much longer.
    • Like x 1
  7. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

Edit: yeah, I agree with everything you said. Although, a price break for bundles would be nice. ^.^
  8. TeenWuulf Well-Known Player

We'll have to agree to disagree on that point, I suppose. If they make the item a redeemable on all characters, I really don't think they should be reducing the per-armory cost for buying multiples. After all, you don't get a price break when you buy a bunch of inventory or bank slots at once.
  9. TrueOlympus New Player

That means absouletly nothing. U do know that ALL MARKETPLACE ITEMS WORK LIKE that right?

I'm starting to understand that you are honestly confused here...
  10. GrumpySnot New Player

Just make them 20$ per armory...........

I am, for the record, just kidding............
  11. GrumpySnot New Player

This was not always so..
    • Like x 1
  12. Doc Holliday New Player

Really think they failed on this issue as well. $8 maybe if it acts as additional storages and are account bound, but maybe $4-$5 if there not and that's pushing it.

I'm currently maxed on both inv and bank slots and would love to buy more.

However if the armories acted like additional bank slots then I must say it would be tempting to pay $8 and if they were account bound $10.
    • Like x 1
  13. TrueOlympus New Player

but it is now, so how is that comment even relevant? All market place consumable items work like that. It is not "a great deal". It is the norm. Even then it is not special at all. They don't want constant complaints of people buying a marketplace item on the wrong character by accident.
  14. Doc Holliday New Player

100% agree.

IMO there is no way this goes live next week at $8 a pop.

Not after the amount of feedback from this thread.

Assuming it's still being read that is.
    • Like x 1
  15. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

Most people are not arguing to lower the price because they don't want SOE and the developers to make money. I do not think that is really the issue at hand here. In fact, most of the arguments to lower the money also provide an economics viewpoint to do so. The belief is that by lowering the cost so more can afford it, SOE and the developers will sell a high enough quantity that they make more money off the bat and over time than they would selling them at current prices, e.g. 100 sold for $8 vs. 500 sold for $5 are some of the types of examples thrown around ($800 vs. $2500).

I know that I personally would spend more money if they cost less. I might get 2 per character on my 3 main characters if they were $5 or less per armory. Let's say they drop the 8 for $40 to 8 for $32. They would get $32 from me with that price plan. I cannot justify spending $40 for 8 even if that does meet my $5 or less statement. To me, the other price points are too high and make me feel the only way I get a deal is to buy 8-15 when I would prefer to just buy a few to start and see how I like them before putting more money down for more.

Currently, I would buy 2 for $5 plus my SC saved up. SOE and the developers would only get $5 on top of my subscription per month. So which do you think makes more sense economically? $5 or $32 ($21 if I decided to use my SC, but if they do reduce prices so $32 is an option, I'd pay the full amount to show that I support them lowering costs in response to our concerns with pricing. If they had a 4 for $20, which I think they should, I would buy one set of 4 to see how I like them and then another set of 4 later, giving them $40 overall).

I'm pretty sure a lot of people think the same way I am, or at least similarly, based on the posts I've seen in this thread.
  16. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

Which was why I was saying that armouries should be either cheap and consumable OR (kinda) expensive and redeemable on all characters. Not both.
  17. GrumpySnot New Player

Im buying my armories, for the toons in my list...
    DAY ONE. These are exactly what i want, and are cheaper than i expected.
    Not all of my toons need them, but a few need more than two.
    • Like x 1
  18. DeadStar New Player

Yes this is going to help me so much omg sick of respecing all the time having to click all load outs when i can just use this so usefull thank use but sad it coming out next week
    • Like x 1
  19. Oomf New Player

Personally I think they have overpriced it but what do u expect they need to make $ some how and everyone has been waiting for armouries (some of us been waiting since 2011 for this) so they know they are going to make $ off a lot of us who just can not wait for them to lower there prices to reasonable.. I would say I would wait for them to lower prices but I am kidding myself I am getting them straight off the bat.... I hate respecting all my SP and Power points when I want to change from Tank to dps to pvp So high price or not they are getting my $ lol I am just bloody happy they are finally here... now if only the servers will come online
    • Like x 1
  20. TeenWuulf Well-Known Player

Well, that's called "skimming the market" and it's certainly a possible explanation for what they're doing. You release something at a ridiculously high price (in the estimation of most of your market), and those who either have to have the latest thing or those for whom cost is no object will pay that price. Then, in time, you lower the price to access the rest of your market. It's possible that's what they're doing, but if so it's an extremely bad decision from a customer-retention standpoint. This isn't a luxury car or washing machine where a returning business is not critical. Those customers who get skimmed at launch are going to have some sour grapes if two or six months down the road the price is lowered to what the majority of the community thinks is reasonable.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.