Taking Insults Too Far

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Horrorshow, Dec 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horrorshow New Player

I want people who play this game to be aware of how they act. Just because you sit behind a computer screen and play in a virtual reality, does not give you the right to publically attack someone on a personal level. Today I had someone reveal personal information about me in open world chat. To make a long story short, the immature person received private information about me from some guy who was invited to my league's Teamspeak. The person who harassed me did not have access to the TS and he was given that information from the person who was allowed in it. I talk to many of my friends in TS and no one has ever revealed personal information about anyone. This person was a stranger and allowed into TS, but what sane person would use personal information about another person and use it against them? Immature and not very nice people.

Anyways, this thread is not really about me. I just want people to be aware of what they say in open world chat. The occasional insult like you suck or your so noob is nothing to be upset about. When you reveal personal information about people in open world chat without their permission, that is low. If anyone ever finds themselves even thinking about doing this, walk away from the computer and do something else. I decided not to report this issue to a Mod, but I did want point this out to people. The two people involved do read my threads on the forums so please watch what you say and how you act.

What these two people did to me was a pesonal attack and they should be ashamed of themselves. I actually did the same thing to someone else in game. I said some horrible things about this individual and it was really for no reason at all. After processing what I did, I was disgusted by how I acted and I sent them a message and talked to them in private. I did apologize and I learned a big lesson about shouting personal attacks in open world chat.

You are proving nothing when you use someone's personal information for your own vandetta.

- Horrorshow.
    • Like x 21
  2. IdontDps Committed Player

Do what I do put your address in the chat anyone walk on your property put a hole in there face so far noone walked on my property
  3. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

And this is why I keep my personal information to myself. Nobody in this game needs to know any of it. Haven't had problems so far, so I wholeheartedly recommend this approach. I mean - many of those people are kids; expecting everyone to be mature, responsible and respectful would require extreme optimism. This is the internet after all...
    • Like x 18
  4. Luckyme92781 Well-Known Player

The only way people can use personal info to attack you is if you give them that info. I don't tell anyone anything personal about me on this game.
    • Like x 5
  5. The Aerovenger Dedicated Player

I was attacked in-game yesterday regarding my support for someone who posted on the forums about their negative experiences with the community. I have all the screenshots and will be passing them on later... :D
    • Like x 1
  6. Grendel Golem Well-Known Player

I keep most chats disabled I can normally only see League Group Whisper . Other than that I tend not to bother with meandering of LFG and shout. To much rage and spam. And it clutters my feed. All n all much better game play experience.
    • Like x 3
  7. Nebula153 Well-Known Player

Sure, it is the OP's fault that her(or his) personal info got out. But it is the other players fault for putting it in shout chat, and it shows how far people will go in this game.
    • Like x 2
  8. Grendel Golem Well-Known Player

But what info can one ascertain via Team speak? All my Team speak says is my screen name ( grendel ) and that is about it
    • Like x 1
  9. KidMidnight Loyal Player

if you don't want it out there don't put it out there.
    • Like x 1
  10. Horrorshow New Player

Lol the issue is that I did not even know the guy was there. This person was allowed in TS for friendly reasons. The people in my league are rather close with each other and we talk about personal stuff in there. When I said something in the TS, that is when this person decided to share information with the agressor. What really sucks is that this happened a few weeks ago as well. Someone decided to pose as another player and come into our TS and start drama. I would assume this person did it for the same reasons as the others. Some people really need to grow up and get a life.

@ Aero
    Right. I did the same thing as well.
    • Like x 2
  11. ADG New Player

While the victim can always have taken preventative measures, it is NEVER the victim's fault that someone else CHOSE to attack them or otherwise cause them harm. That's like saying if a woman had just stayed home that night, she would not have gotten attacked, therefore her fault. That applies to every single lesser and greater crime.

I know of people that were attacked on facebook, youtube and other venues whereby a single person had all their info based on just a simple business account and terrorized these people by editing website information to make them appear as child-predators and then dropped their physical address and encouraged people to go to these peoples home and do them harm to "protect society." While something like that is far more extreme than this, it goes to show that it only takes one person you never even see coming to ruin your life online, even in a video game. And this can be done by someone in their 60's or merely a vindictive 12 year old.

No matter how they get your information, spilling it online is an effort to cause you harm. In the United States a bill was passed in 2012 that made this sort of thing officially illegal. But it is still difficult to enforce. It is up to the internet community to deal with people that do things like this. If they are so eager to do this to others, they should know what it feels like to have it done to them so that we can all publicly assess who they are and dole out the consequences they have earned by labeling them the pariah they should be known as.

I hope that this incident was reported. I believe that something like this would be handled by SOE and DCUO appropriately. It is necessary to report every incident. Preferably with screen capture. And as extreme as this may seem, you can even call the police and file a report over something like this, even though it happened in a video game. It is still the Internet and it falls under Federal jurisdiction in the USA and territories. I imagine Canada and other countries have similar policies regarding this issue. This sort of thing is frowned upon across the globe.
    • Like x 8
  12. Feenicks New Player

The interwebz did have the effect of changing chickens into hawks. Folks will say things and treat others in a way they would never dare in person. Sad if you really think about it.
    • Like x 10
  13. Maxx_Watt Loyal Player

After 3 yrs of playing the only personal info people know about me is that I play DCUO, have a couple of kids that come into my office sometimes and a couple of dogs that bark sometimes. They have never heard my kids day anything other than daddy because chat is turned off as soon as they walk in.

Best to keep things to yourself on the internet, even if you have know a person for years through a game you don't know them.
    • Like x 4
  14. bull425 Well-Known Player

The internet is like people having guns. Everyone is tough hiding behind a screen. Everyone is tough with a gun in their hand. Take both away, and more than likely in both scenarios they wouldn't say a word. Pay them no heed. In Team Speak, he expected privacy, and someone violated that. To me, this should have been reported, and SOE should ban the person period, end of story. Community in a game is important, and Devs need to foster that along with the player base.
    • Like x 2
  15. Hero of Justice New Player

Ha, I think the kids are better behaved than some of the adults I run across... :p That's the internet for you.
    • Like x 3
  16. Amanda Bailey Devoted Player

This is the main reason as to why I don't use TS or Voice Chat. If you have something negative to say about me, that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if you can't send it in a tell, then keep it to yourself. Sorry, you can address an in game issue about me to me, but if it's extremely negative, not true, or very personal, you will reported.
    • Like x 1
  17. Happy Cat Well-Known Player

I had a situation like this once where someone I was RL friends with jumped to another guild, I guess that guild had a contract you had to sign in blood to be my guild's RL mortal enemy. He gave out my home phone number, address, and where I worked so he could get over as a cool kid with his new best bros. The imbeciles called my job complaining about me. My boss actually talked to me about it, he couldn't figure how people who lived hundreds of miles away in places we didn't service or people with ficticious addresses would call complain about me about things that didn't happen at times I didn't work, but managed to give my first and last name. A handful of them would call at all times of day to harass and threaten my pregnant wife, one even went so far as to threaten to stab her in the stomach with a screwdriver. I even had the pleasure of getting a harassing call from one of them on Easter, keep in mind that was 3 years ago and it was 5 years ago when I actually played that game. I wanted to get angry, but I couldn't, for the first time in my life I was overcome with a feeling of profound pity, like I just saw someone run over a dog that was chasing cars.I looked at all the things in my life I was blessed with and I realized how utterly wasted these people's lives are. I am going to go out on a limb and say...forgive them, because they are no different than that poor stupid dog playing in traffic.
    • Like x 2
  18. BumblingB I got better.

Report them as that isn't a temporary ban offense, that's a perma ban one. As that kind of information is completely against ToS and should not be tolerated in any form.
    • Like x 12
  19. Jamie New Player

This is why I never say anything more than I am willing to reveal to a complete stranger. Many people in my league know what state I live in and should also know my name. But none of them know exactly where I live or where I work. They also do not have my phone number.
  20. TheLoneLantern New Player

There have been multiple instances where I have beaten the OP in a match and he (or she) has raged at me. First, you need to calm down when pvping, it's just a game. Second, I don't condone what this person did to you, but I will say that your attitude (from my experiences) tends to make a bunch of enemies.

Just do you best to be kind and respectful to others, and less people will try and mess with you. Also, don't give out personal info, even leaguemates. They may end up becoming ex-leaguemates.
    • Like x 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.