Which healer would suit me?

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by DanaDark, Dec 1, 2013.

1. DanaDark New Player

I have only tried the game a few times but a friend of mine plays and wants me to join... So I been looking into the classes and rolls and such.

I was wondering what sort of power would be good for AoE focused healing?

Maybe it is blaspheme but in CoH I adored playing a Mind Controller with Empathy (for those that want to compare).

So, kind of wondering if it is possible to have a character with AoE healing and some crowd control rolled into one?

Of not, then definitely AoE healing. Any ideas?
  2. GeoShock New Player

You either heal or control in DCUO and every healing power is AoE so it's up to you.
  3. Willydon305 Well-Known Player

Every power has an AOE heal so you can just choose which one looks the coolest to you and start from there.
    Sorcery mostly Healing over time oriented with rejuvenate as its main and hackneyed burst heal. IOR is a great burst heal but it takes a long time to get off...
    Nature is a mixture of Healing over time and burst healing... IMO it's very easy to solo heal with nature and once you fall in love with metabolism, you will be a healing GOD.
    Electricity is very good for burst healing..
    Though all power sets have AOE healing powers, I would advise you to go sorcery, because it's Circle of protection power is a visual AOE heal that will satisfy your request for one. No healer power can crowd control.
    • Like x 1
  4. Amarsir Well-Known Player

Unlike CoH the line between healer and controller is cleaner here. (And controllers are more about power regen than actual crowd control anyway.)

All healer sets do mostly AOE, with one or two spot-healing powers that hit the most-damaged person in ranged. (No targeting here.). The differences lie more toward instant / channeled / HoT and PBAoE / Placed.

I've only really done Sorcery and Electricity, so I'll speak to those.

Sorcery's main heals are a circle placed on the ground, a beacon placed on the ground, and a large channeled (interruptible) aoe with a major heal at the end. Plus they get group shields. So it's good for setting heals and being somewhere else, or regularly doing a huge heal in a raid if you can stay out of harm yourself. The controls are slowing movement, a pull, and transforming someone into a dog. (I'm not sure how this is in. PvE, it was nerfed in PvP a bit back.)

Electricity's deal is that you can give each teammate a stored "emergency heal" that triggers below 35% health. Beyond that you also have a number of powers that heal based on hitting the enemy - a bit like CoH's Kinetics. And another main heal gives an aura to you and one teammate, and then every ally in range of either aura gets healed. For controls you have a very strong area pull and a bit of stun. (It feels more control-ish than how I'm describing it here.)

I cant speak with much authority on Nature or Celestial so I'll leave that to someone else. Do bear in mind that only Nature and Sorcery are free - the other two require DLC or subscriptin.
  5. bareheiny 10000 Post Club

Only due to non-controller expectations / bullying.

Celestial is great if you want to throw in a fair amount of damage, or you like the idea of power combs. Has AoE, burst and HoTs...plus a few moves that heal based on your damage :)
  6. DanaDark New Player

I can live with more defined lines.

Seems since each power has AoE abilities then I should focus on the type of healing.

I enjoy active healing and also some shielding. I enjoy seeing me press a button and people's health go up. The correlation is pleasing to me even though I know HoT and shielding do similar if not the same.

I'd also like to know if healers are even needed... Many MMOs these days don't need them at all

And for those that do play healers, would love to know what else you can do... I mean, cool doing heals 24/7 but is nice to be able to do something else when things are easy!

Thanks guys , your info already has helped tons!!
  7. bareheiny 10000 Post Club

Healers are definitely needed! But be warned that the current trend is for solo healers in the T5 raids.

All roles can DPS - although healers and tanks have a damage reduction penalty unless you equip the core-strength mods. Celestial is a good option for damage-based healing. I'm looking forward to Armouries - will allow me to switch between full on healer and battle-healer as required :D
  8. Tule New Player

You probably want nature. Many people say its the easiest, and it kind of is. Its AOE heals are insanely long ranged and strong, but you have to have quick reflex aka actively heal. The game still needs healers cause everyone constantly takes dmg and have very limit ways to heal that damage, because of that there isnt much downtime in healing. But when there is you should just be weapon comboing for power. Or if it is really easy you can pop some damage powers on your hotbar for funzies, but wont do much.
  9. Willydon305 Well-Known Player

I have to disagree, the easiest healing power set to learn and master is sorcery by far.... The hardest aspect of sorcery is making sure you have all three of your soul wells up at all time lol...
  10. Tule New Player

Nature is just button mashing. I literally heals T5 content blind when the game was messed up and I couldn't see health bars. Plus the spike heals are ridiculous and constant.
    • Like x 1
  11. Willydon305 Well-Known Player

Button mashing is easy, but cast and forget is even easier.. With sorcery once you have all your HOTS up all you have to do is make sure you keep on recasting them and hit rejuvenate from time to time when that one person in the group gets tank envy.,, nature is a lot more engaging than sorcery.
  12. Tule New Player

But to rejuvenate you have to know when your team is taking massive damage. All nature heals might as well be rejuvanates.
  13. Willydon305 Well-Known Player

Your HOT's take care of the massive damage your teammates will take, your rejuvenate is just back up for those heals... When your team is taking massive damage boon of souls with your HOT'S is more effective then rejuvenate with your HOT'S because remember rejuvenate heals one; whereas boon of souls protect four.
  14. Tule New Player

Sorry, looking at it through natures. All our heals might as well be rejuvanates that heals the entire party for huge spike damage and usually leave a hot if you dont absorb it. And if you do you can reapply it in no time flat. Believe me, I would love for people to think my job is hard, so I could get some resepct, but Nature is childs play. To set and forget you have to remember to set and reset. I could heal just about anything while asleep with a twitching thumb.
  15. Willydon305 Well-Known Player

Well I play both nature and sorcery and the reason why I decided to get into nature healing because sorcery was way to easy to the point it was getting boring. With nature i find myself constantly engaged which requires a lot more alertness than sorcery, where your HOT'S do all of the alertness for you.. I guess two different people, two different opinions.. Have you actually ever played sorcery?
  16. Tule New Player

Only briefily, too much set up. I like Nature for the same reason you like it, its "engaging", but unless you are doing the hardest content in game that "engaging" isn't fun, its only the thing that stops me from falling all the way alseep. If I played Sorcery in any content besides Dox/Nexus I would fall asleep or start daydreaming and people would die. Where as I could close my eyes for just about any boss fight besides Dox and last Nexus boss (cause of puddles) and still heal through it without being conscious of cooldowns cause nature doesn't really have any cool downs besides shield/buff.
  17. Dcon34DCUO Loyal Player

Note to the OP, to get Celestial or Electricity you have to buy the corresponding dlc. For Electricity DLC 2 Lightening Strikes. For Celestial DLC 8 Sons of Trigon. Sorcery and Nature are not tied to any dlc.
  18. Willydon305 Well-Known Player

You're proving my point with every post you make. How can something that you deem as more engaging be harder than something you view as less engaging? If you poll 10 players who heal content, who has played both sorcery and nature I'm sure 9/10 will say nature is a tad bit harder than sorcery is. You can train a monkey to heal a raid using sorcery.
  19. Tule New Player

Engaging does not mean hard. It means you have to keep pushing buttons. The point is both healers are easy, but with nature you can just get into a pattern and forget everything, you could meditate and nature heal. If you play that way wit Sorcery then people will die. If you are a healer and more people die then that means that it is harder for you to heal with.
  20. Delta795 New Player

Sorcery is like the old RONCO commercials.
    "Set it...and forget it"

Pop a COP, throw out a few soul wells maybe watcher and go make a sandwich!