DCUO- Pay2Win Has Ruined This Game!

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by IITaskmasterII, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Breakforce Loyal Player

I'm sure all of us have known someone who has battled cancer (I've known several)

And I can say for a fact that each and everyone one of them would trade that in a microsecond to play a video game instead.

There isn't much I take personally on the internet, but that sort of stuff is where I draw the line.
    • Like x 3
  2. crownclownking New Player

Yikes why do people are so defensive once you begin to criticize it. I just found it funny that is free to play yet it ask for a subscription. I mean what other games does that. T
  3. GeoShock New Player

I agree with you 100%.

OP made some good points, maybe he should have delivered them in a different way but that's no reason to laguh and mock him.

I don't know why but quite a lot of people on those forums developed "I'm a pro who knows everything best" attitude recently.
    • Like x 2
  4. Enickma Dedicated Player

I'll let some of the other people who are more well-versed in video games than me list off the games that do...

I don't quite understand what you're trying to say, so I'll just repeat myself also... You can play a large portion of the game without giving a penny to SOE. It asks you to subscribe if you want to enjoy the entire game.
    • Like x 1
  5. Enickma Dedicated Player

There's just no excuse for that.
    • Like x 4
  6. The Lone Stranger Devoted Player

OP

Even with a subscription, you will get kicked if your CR doesn't match the expectations of the Elitists.
    Trust me on this.
    • Like x 1
  7. Death Throe New Player

Yet still reading and posting in a forum for a game you don't play. How sad is that?
    • Like x 7
  8. GeoShock New Player

You quote me this for what reason? I said he made SOME good points.
  9. MercPony Devoted Player

One can only hope but I have my doubts also lol

Mepps did say before they would like to find a way for PS3/4 players to have a chance at those items too.
  10. WhiteW0lf Devoted Player

The fact that you refuse to admit that paying for replay badges so that you have the convenience to earn your marks through specific missions you prefer or at a faster pace if you so choose to do so is NOT pay to win does not change the FACT that is not pay to win. Your opinion on replay badges does not in any way whatsoever affect the true meaning of what exactly the pay to win model is (which replays do not fall into the category of). End of story.
    • Like x 2
  11. Thechemicals New Player

Ruined this game or saved it? There are a lot of things that can happen to an mmo when it is no longer profitable. I dont believe this game is very profitable. Maybe you should keep your toxic spew to yourself :p
    • Like x 1
  12. Hallows Eve New Player

Sorry but this is supposed to be a free 2 play game NOT a subscription based game. They can't have their cake and eat it too. Do one or the other not both, otherwise you're clearly operating a pay to win game.
  13. Hallows Eve New Player

Replays do fall into the category of pay 2 win because they effect pvp now. If you want to stay competitive you better buy some replays and get your gear asap, otherwise be prepared to be left in the dust.
  14. Death Throe New Player

Yet they offer both and that in itself does not "clearly" make this P2W. Your logic is quite murky and rigid.

PvP is only part of the game not the whole game. That like saying the races are P2W because only those that can afford power respec token can get the most feat points from them.
    • Like x 1
  15. Poo New Player

ZING!
    • Like x 1
  16. Enickma Dedicated Player

False. You can use as many badges as you want, but you still have to win matches to gear up. That is not pay to win, that is just accelerated grinding.
    • Like x 5
  17. Poo New Player

Ugh! This is NOT supposed to be a free to play game. It IS a subscription based game. They ALLOW you to play for free. They don't WANT you to play for free.

AND THERE IS NO WIN!!!

I am so sick of hearing that! What/how do you win a game that never ends? And don't say PVP. That is a very small part of this game and doesn't matter.
    • Like x 3
  18. Breakforce Loyal Player

Exactly. You can spend hundreds of dollars on replays, but you still need to actually go out and win the matches. Or you can not use them, and win them at a slower pace.

Money or time. You gotta pay one way of the other.
    • Like x 6
  19. Brice Allen Loyal Player

I agreed with you up until the PVP comment. There are players that play this game solely because of the PVP. It might be small but it is still there. So it does matter to them. Especially when it makes those players $$ ;).
  20. billzill New Player

I am sorry to have to be the one to tell you this, being a stranger on a forum and all.. but there's no such thing as a free lunch. SOE is a company and Free-to-play was never a charity. It's a marketing tool designed to get you interested enough in their video game to spend money on it. Hopefully (from their perspective) quite a bit of your money. That is their goal. They aren't particularly shy about it.

The reason they do this is because making a video game, as it turns out, requires lots and lots of money. The people who work on it always want to get paid and stuff. Like every week if you can believe it!

So, yeah. Turns out one of the most effective ways of doing this is to gate your progress so that the highest level content is very difficult to complete if you don't pay a subscription or have very patient friends. It's unfortunate that you got the wrong impression, but that's the game. That's life, when you get right down to it. Nothing is truly free. The fabulous vacation getaway is just a way to talk you into buying a timeshare. The dealer is going to try to sell you the car after the test drive.

If it makes you feel any better, it would appear that the strategy is to make previous tiers more accessible for the freemium players once a new tier comes out. This is evident from their opening T4 armor up for purchase with MOTs when Origin Crisis was released, as well as introducing a number of additional avenues to earn those marks for both freemium and subscribed players.

On the downside (from your perspective), it seems we're at least six months away from that happening for the current top-tier content.

As for your experience with other players.. well.. honestly I wouldn't want a CR90 in my pug for paradox either, and I'm pretty liberal when it comes to that. The minimum CR requirement is just that: a minimum. The difference between CR90 and CR 95 is pretty stark and those raids are very difficult, particularly when playing with strangers whose capabilities and in some cases native language isn't necessarily known.

It's unfortunate that they were rude to you, but that's the internet. People are dicks.
    • Like x 4