Newcomers have no chance in pvp arenas?

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by TheDarkRedbird, Sep 12, 2013.

1. TheDarkRedbird Active Player

So, I was thinking, after I had a few pvp matches with one of my alts (which I created after the whole pvp system changed in Update 26 or 27 or whatever), how does a, per say, newcomer, or new toon, get marks of valor at all? By doing legends until you have enough marks of valor to buy the tier gear you need to get before getting into the next tier? Because I managed to do so, getting enough marks to get to the tier 1 or 2 set, I don't know which tier is that, exactly (the raptor infiltrator/avatar bombardier set). Then I put my pvp gear on and I feel like jumping into some arenas. And for some reason, the matchmaking system puts me against max pvp tier players, no matter if it's 1vs1's, 2vs2's, 4vs4's, etc etc. So, I kinda wanna know. Am I doing something wrong, or this is pretty the weird way the match system is working at the moment, or if there isn't any kind of tier matchmaking system at all and I'll have to just keep playing legends until I get thousands of marks to be able to buy absolutely every next tier set? Because:
    1- It's annoying
    2- Only the player that are already at max tier have any chance to win
    3- There's no way you can advance at all in pvp then
  2. Spidersting Committed Player

The problem is each toon has its own ranking as far as i know. When you haven't done any pvp matches your rank is basicly nothing. The game doesn't account for gear or pvp CR it accounts for skill. Basicly wins/losses. On top of that there are different rankings for 1v1, 2v2, 4+ groups (i think but not sure) and Legends. I think legends is also seperated in 1v1, 2v2, and large group matches for rankings as well.

If you have no rank it seems to pick people at random. The only flaw in the system is that if you are only queing for 2v2 and only a handful of players are queing up and you are not near those players ranking you might still face them because if you sit in the que long enough it throws ranking out the window and makes a match.
    • Like x 2
  3. Thechemicals New Player

I havent ever had this problem. I make a new toon, i play pvp arena and i win. Sometimes it takes 5-6 games, but you have to be agressive and know what your doing. If you know what your doing, youll win eventually and sooner rather than later.
    • Like x 2
  4. Thechemicals New Player

Oh and by the way, losing to a highly geared player is a chance to test yourself against all odds...it is the only time you can learn to play better because once you get top tier- its all the same routine over and over.
  5. Captainn Chaos Well-Known Player

I'm actually having the same problem :(
  6. DEMONIZER1 Loyal Player

Most people after the PvP update, got the gear and feats then moved on...(the change didn't help as much as it hurt PvP IMO!)

This leaves the die-hards, fully geared folks that like PvP.... 80% of the PvP community did it for feats and are gone!

So this leaves you with the top tier PvP folks and at CR 81 you will get smashed and the match making can't pool the folks you need if they aren't around anymore...so, you get what we have now, about 100 die-hards left and well, you and some of the new folks that didn't jump when the new PvP system hit the game!

Sorry to say it, but, the folks that came in late are getting the hardcore PvPer and by your post, you see how bad of an idea DC made with this new direction for PvP for the "newb"!

I'll never stop playing it though, I enjoy it!

What you need to do is get some friends with killer gear and ride the wave until you get more goodies for PvP, keep grinding it out and one day this will be a bad dream for you... good luck!

IA ARMY
    • Like x 3
  7. Captainn Chaos Well-Known Player

Damn this sucks.
    • Like x 1
  8. DEMONIZER1 Loyal Player

Yes sir, it does!

I feel for the PvP "newb" now days!

IA ARMY
  9. Drathmor Unwavering Player

fully geared several toons since change its no diffrent than it has always been grind it out and take your losses and get better you'll get geared eventually
    • Like x 1
  10. Thechemicals New Player

Well now i feel like a the greatest player ever. How can anyone have problems in pvp? you play and then you win. Some days are tougher than others but its not hard at all.
    • Like x 1
  11. DEMONIZER1 Loyal Player

I've got 5 toons and all have their PvP gear, wasn't saying it can't be done... just saying it's harder for the "newb" these days!

Send me an invite in game OP and I'll get my squad together and help you smash the high levels, USPS3 Hero, Toon xSUPERMAN66x, hit me up anytime Central after 9 pm, be glad to smash some folks with ya!

IA ARMY
    • Like x 2
  12. Amarsir Well-Known Player

Some tips:

1) Try playing at different times of day. I find that between 2pm and 5pm EST the competition is easier, also for some reason around 5am EST. Also most of the day Weekends. Evenings, especially weekend Evenings, you frequently find premade groups and overgeared singles who can dominate a single map. And losing isn't the end of the world (plus it drops your Elo for future matchmaking, but if it happens a bunch in a row, leave and come back later.

2) Don't go into an Arena in PvE gear. If you're reading this I'm sure you know that, yet people show up there all the time. You can buy CR77 gear for cash from 3 vendors in your HQ.

3) Slot your gear with on-color Alpha mods. It requires 1 exobyte and a $70 component from the vendor by the table. (Plus the recipe, but you can even buy recipes from the other vendor.) Then when you get a new piece, $125 for an Alpha recovery kit to pop the Exo out. The mod benefits aren't much - like 3 precision each. But by matching the color you get the slot bonus. In Tier 0 (cr77) DPS gear that means:
    • +5.0% ability crit chance
    • +5.0% weapon crit chance
    • + 80 Power
    • + 14 Precision
    • + 13 Might
    Not counting whatever the actual mods do. All for the cost of $195 to replace the mod on each new piece with absolutely no loss of exobytes or materials. It's a noticeable advantage that a lot of people skip.
    4) Learn the arenas themselves. Knowing where the powerups or orange barrels are, or where to stand for maximum benefit - that can win you a match even if you're losing all the battles.

5) I hate to say this, but if you can't get through, go spend PvE marks on Home Turf mods and trinkets. That way you can buy your wins - the way the game is apparently meant to be played. I don't think it's necessary, but if you want to even the odds, then a single chest mod that cuts through 700 points of toughness will go a long way.
    • Like x 4
  13. Too Many Toons Dedicated Player

run the higher manned matches first too. More likely to have success in an 8 man where you are less of a factor than a 1 or 2 player...
    • Like x 1
  14. Gotcha Girl Well-Known Player

I have to agree with the these two statements. Trust me, I know it's not always easy but you'll get better. If you understand the basics: blocking stops interrupts, interrupts stops block breaking and block breaking stops blocks you'll only get better. I've only been PvPing for a few days and have improved quite a lot. Reading and adjusting to your opponent is key. You'll also find that a lot of players have the same tendencies such as blocking a lot when they are low on health. I'm not saying that you won't face guys that are out of your league at the moment because you probably will but if you keep at it, you'll get your armor and before you know it, you'll feel like Neo in the Matrix countering each attack an agent can throw at him lol jk...but not really. Just stay with it :)
    • Like x 3
  15. Evil Leaper New Player

I have Alts I use to farm exceptional recovery kits and I have the same problem. It seems that the team I'm on always loses. (Sigh)
    I do legends fine thanks to buying Hal Jordan but arena PvP is hard to win.

I just think the CR should matter when queuing up for PvP please!
    • Like x 2
  16. GalaxySoul1 New Player

started from the bottom now we here. no really i started from blood bat and pugged my way up to full punchline. just gotta grind and if you have good friends it helps cause pugging sucks. i always get stuck with all dps, but you can do trust me.
  17. Yallander Loyal Player

If it takes buying an umbalanced legends character to winn it isn't a problem with the system it means it is time to learn more about the mechanics and understand how OTHER powersets, weapons, and power interactions work. IE-beating on a player using a reflect power will usually result in you death...but do you know what the reflect powers are and what they look like?

My response isn't just to you. It is important for players to ask if they have reached a plateau and then determine what will help them proceed upwards. Too many hit a plateau and because they cannot figure out how to advance just stop and blame the system. Keep going, asking questions and learning because I assure you the view will be worth the work.
    • Like x 3
  18. Happy Cat Well-Known Player

If they gave you guys a "Spectator Mode" for pvp the people who really wanted to learn would be using and benefiting from it. If you cant see why you are getting your little guts stomped in it just means you've got a lot of trial and error ahead of you. It probably would be a good idea for anyone who wants to join a pvp que to be required to spectate a few matches before actually being able to join one. Sort of like exploration quests from Booster Gold, except for pvp, it would probably get people all on the same page faster. Knowing the strategy, and playing the map is often times more important than gear.
    • Like x 3
  19. Miss Adora Loyal Player

Should of done arenas right away when the new gear came out. I did that with my new toon and leveled up with everyone else. It was hard, with new toons, you don't have the mots for home turf mods or trinkets, so competing against those that do is a challenge. Leveling up through legends takes a long time. You only get like 10 marks in one day with bonus box. Before pvp reset, doing legends could of gotten you t3 pvp gear easily.
    • Like x 1
  20. Spidersting Committed Player

There is a problem with CR being the basis of your que. I will list a few and show you the same stuff is still going to happen. The grass is not greener on the other side.

1. You are just starting out you are in cash gear, you are the only one queing in this cr bracket. After sitting in the que a few mins the system throws CR out the window so you can play and puts you up against anyone. Works exactly like our current system now.

2. Someone Has more money then you do and just mods out the gear they have in experts and they are in the same bracket as you. They have a clear stat advantage, since mods don't effect pvp CR they are not higher then you. Since they are in your CR bracket you keep getting put up against them and they crush you over and over. No matter how much you lose you will still end up facing this player since it is only picking matches based on your CR.

3. High skilled players have alts that they never progress past Cash gear and mod them in expert mods, similar to twinking out a toon just to crush new players. Now you have a combination of #2 and someone who knows pvp mechanics and then you really don't have a snowballs chance in hell in winning and since you are in the CR bracket with that player you might as well not play pvp until they log out.

Our system we have now is not the greatest but i would take the system we have now over it being based off CR any day.
    • Like x 1