Jack of all trades

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Vulmyss, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Vulmyss Dedicated Player

What do you think about a class that's a jack of all trades? That can be any role (though only one at a time)? It could be called elementalist or perhaps something else.. But anyway. In any role it's a little weaker than a power that just has it. Say if sorcery heals for 500 it heals for 400. It has elemental magic for giving power, healing, damaging, and tanking, but it is weaker than the pure power people. But it can change its role IN COMBAT. For like half the power bar can change its role in combat.
    What do you think of something very versatile, a very supportive role that cannot survive without other powers so everyone can't be them but they can hold their own in solo, though it requires more skill to manage power and change roles.
    What do you think?
  2. Seismicfesr Dedicated Player

Ive thought of something like the next Tank power being a combo of Ice, Fire, Earth with maybe a lil Air thrown in for Avatar flavor.
  3. Vulmyss Dedicated Player

Sounds cool. Air is a power we all have. It just requires a 101 cr to see :D
  4. Seismicfesr Dedicated Player

I would love a combo power set make it happen
  5. TheLoneLantern New Player

6. Vulmyss Dedicated Player

Why? Explain
  7. TheLoneLantern New Player

Unraveling the current game mechanics is not a good idea.
    • Like x 1
  8. BumblingB I got better.

But... But... Master to none... D:
  9. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

Healer Role + DPS gear + Agro consumables + Word of Power SC.

Healer, dps, tank, troller,

There ya go.
    • Like x 1
  10. Vulmyss Dedicated Player

Sounds awesome. I want one :D
  11. Twilight Man New Player

Closest thing to this currently is a Healer. once you can self heal the rest is easy to develop.
  12. Miahztwin Committed Player

Its nice kinda like an avatar but sounds like wishful thinking
  13. The Lone Stranger Devoted Player

/LFG All roles for Khandaq CR 99+ No Jacks!

can't you see it?

Would the lowered effectiveness result in lowered CR in the same tier?
    Which gear would you buy, or would there need to be new gear for each tier?
    Or, would you need to have 8 armories? PvE and PvP for each role?

I could see it either being great fun and always welcome because you can easily change to what's needed: Trolls wiped! Both trolls down! Jack! We need power!

OR the lfg soccer syndrome... You're not good enough for us... Kick! We want a real tank... Kick! Why should we be limited to your power output? Kick!

Pre-level 30, I think it would be great fun!

My suggestion, however, was the opposite... How about a dps only powerset?
  14. Gwalir Loyal Player

I actually have an Elemental powerset that's able to perform all four roles in the thread in my sig, but I have it able to at full power in any of the roles.

However, having twice as many roles for it's two power trees means there are less options for each role. For example, whereas all other Controllers can choose from 2 PoTs and two of each debuff, an Elemental Controller only has one option for each. Even for the DPS role, only half of the powers would give a DPS modifier at all.

I made it this way so you have more flexibility in the types of roles you can play, but you'd have to give up less flexibility in each individual role.
  15. Owl Devoted Player

I think it would be interesting to have a power set that could toggle between 2 support roles and did not have a damage role.
    A Healer + Controller power set could be very useful.

Probably would not sell very many respec tokens though as most of the population are Damagers.
  16. Shadowdragon Devoted Player

It would be hard to make this fit in and be balanced. I do like the idea for character building because a sorcerer/wizard in almost any other realm controls multiple elements.
  17. Chungweishan New Player

[Technically, Nature does change roles in combat with its transformations. You can pretty much change roles using certain trinkets.]

One of the problems is allocating Skillpoints and Gear+Mods. By the time you're doing High-Tier Missions or Arenas, you should be focusing on one type of role only, unless you have multiple sets of gear and don't mind respec'ing all the time.

• As a "healer," you're just wasting power for little heals that places more stress on the Controller.
    • As a "controller," you're probably just doing Power Dumps instead of risking overwriting a competent Controller's POT, but what's the point of doing a power-dump just pushing power back and forth instead of actually using it for damage?
    • As a "tank," you'll be stealing Aggro from the real tank, and probably won't able to survive multiple attacks anyways.
    • And as a "damage dealer," you're not outputting as much damage, unless you dedicated your character for DPS. Which makes you less effective in any support role.
    Switching Roles during Combat seems interesting especially if you want to avoid certain Movement Debuffs in PvP, but at the risk of losing so much power? No thanks.
  18. Thechemicals New Player

I think all yours ideas are op.