Knightsdome Arena (Duo) Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Hjal, Aug 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Remander Steadfast Player

I've run it with the following combinations: healer/DPS, healer/troller, tank/tank (both in DPS stance), troller/troller (one in DPS stance). Best combo was the first. Healer keeps the pair alive fairly cheaply, and the DPS burns them down. Only outright fail was the troller/troller setup. Now, running a troller/DPS may have been better, but one troller in DPS stance with another troller was a no go. I had to drop and bring in my healer. Of course, that's often the case with any duo. Some role combinations fair better than others. I don't find this duo particularly hard, though it's clearly the toughest of the three. It's more annoying than anything, between the multiple waves of same adds and the plinking of the two mob groups.
  2. Trinidad James Loyal Player

I really love how the NPC's all block break every 2sec and make so you can't hold block for more than half a sec. Thanks every so much Devs. (sarcasm)
    • Like x 1
  3. Hjal Developer

Based on the feedback regarding the fight against the civilians I've tweaked the civilian AI so they no longer cause block breaking and they no longer lunge at players. Hopefully it'll result in the fight retaining it's challenge while feeling a little less frustrating. This should be in the next hotfix.
    • Like x 4
  4. Roomba Dedicated Player

I never had a problem with this duo until last night. I'm CR 99 celestial dps and I was with a cr 99 troller. Got to the first part where groups spawn in waves until you get to the ritual master.

1) All mobs would immediately shoot me, none shooting at troller. They hit pretty damned hard and in 1 second can get me down to 25% or less

2) It sucks that they're all surrounding you after the intial cut scene.

3) They kept targetting ONLY me off the bat! Being celestial, if I didn't get my combo off I'd be d-e-d ded.

Things I could have done differently... stand back closer to the door between waves or fly up high? I also wasn't using malediction enough for the self heal.

That being said, I find it surprising that it's in the first part of that duo that I have to burn my apprentice, supply drop, and soda.... and not the boss?

It was only this combo, I have had no problem with tank/dps/healer as my partner. Coulda been a fluke. Whatevs.

Side complaint. I have never fought anyone but Starfire in here since this DLC was released to Legendary players. Just my luck!
  5. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

I ran with a good DPS(I trolled) and we did fine. I got KO'd once and it was my fault for jumping into a pile of citizens and demons.
  6. Jamie New Player

You nerfed my favorite duo!!! I actually loved the fact that you couldn't just stand there holding block. Now it won't be nearly as meaningfull when I aggro both groups at once and kill them before they kill me. You finally give a duo where a fire tank's AOE's really excel and people start screaming to nerf it. At least I can say I beat it several times before the first nerf. Can you please add a few more adds to bring back some of the chanllenge? I am 100% serious about this.
  7. Hjal Developer

I'd prefer to see how things play out first. Just to be clear, the demons will still use block break so it's not like you can simply hold down block through the fight. I honestly don't think this is going to make the encounter significantly easier, though at the end of the day you guys will have to be the judge of how the change is working out.
    • Like x 2
  8. Remander Steadfast Player

As DPS, you should generate more threat that the troller, so you get the aggro. If you ran with a healer, the healing casts would take some of the aggro off of you. With a tank, it would be even better.
  9. geostew Well-Known Player

The Duo is hard but doable. The hardest part imo is the first part of the gauntlet where you have to fight the waves inside the cage. You have to be smart with your self heals and soders to time it right. I would like to see the time between groups extended even just by a few seconds so you can regenerate.

The next 4 parts are not so bad. You just need to pull the large groups one or 2 at a time so you don't get over run.

Next phase is just a boss battle.

Then you have the pair of demons that appear multiple times. I found the easiest way is to go back close to the door and run out and get there attention and run back. Let them come to you. Beat em down and then rest up. Go get the next pair..rinse repeat. If your close to the door you do have enough distance to go out of combat and the adds don't aggro till you go get them.

Now when I first started it at CR 89 it was tough as hell and I could not complete it but I'm full 85 dps gear now and as long as my partner isn't completely incompetent we can do it with ease if we take our time. I'm fairly certain had I figured out the tricks earlier I would have been able to do it with the lower gear score.
  10. Jamie New Player

Hopefully I will get to run this again in the next few days and I will let you know what I think of the change. BTW, has anyone even looked into why update 29 made the controllers on PS3 feel like they are wearing out? That is the most annoying issue I've run across.
  11. ElectricEmu New Player

Ok so here is my biggest problem with this. Imagine going into this blind. (Both you and your partner) Neither of you have done this duo or have seen it done and you don't have the best gear available. You and your partner have also run all the previous duos in the past several times so you do know how to play the game. Now you go into this duo and the first big problem is you are hit with continuous waves. In the past the waves usually cap at 3 unless you have to activate something. Now you defeat the 3rd wave and then they keep coming and you've already used your cola, supply drop, and the healing barrel. So as a result you die, which is acceptable you can't always expect to win every fight the first time. So you do it again and you beat the 4th wave then another spawns and you die again. At this point the game is running into a flaw which is teach the player by having them fail. The wave before Jesse runs into this same problem. You should never teach the player through failure. It should be teach them through playing and if they fail hopefully they learned what they were doing wrong before they failed so they can adjust.

Here would be my simple solution to this, and this will only help those who have never been in this duo. Add a counter to the mission updates on the right side of the screen for the waves. This will give the player a little insight on how long this fight might last and they can manage their sodas, trinkets, and barrels appropriately. So if you fail it means you screwed up or got unlucky, not if you guessed wrong on how many waves there are.

The two big groups in the middle I like. It makes sense that you shouldn't jump into the middle of them because there are so many that you will most likely fail.

As for the bosses I believe their damage should be dropped only by a small margin because not everyone is going run with or be a tank or healer. Also spawn Jesse a little further away from the Prize so that the players can see that the Prize is also attacking them instead of mistaking it as an attack from Jesse.

These are just a couple ideas that won't really change the difficulty of the duo but will allow the players to manage their abilities and items better without failing because of guess work.
  12. SKAVANGER408 New Player

I was a DPS so I grabbed a Troller and we beat it in 30 minutes or so. Challenging but fun.
  13. BumblingB I got better.

I am glad that the brawling mobs no longer are match npcs, that will make it more tolerable. The biggest issue I had with it is the fact it is not pug-able. It's like the Aquaman seasonal event. It's a very straight forward instance, but trying to explain how to do it never works out and people tend to go full mutton and die over and over. It also didn't help that it is designed as a bridge between T4 and T5 on gearing up and you needed t5 to complete it? Everyone in this thread is talking about how they can complete it, but most of them are already overgeared or they look for ideal pairings. I'm sorry, but I shouldn't have to be cr97 with a healer to complete a two man duo designed to help you gear up.

Also, I like the idea of the counter on waves that Emu mentioned. Like ace does, with the 5 waves of security guards. At least then you can expect to see something. As loading for me in same cases, I get hit before I can see what is hitting me.

@drgonosz I can complete all the feats fine. I'm not simple. I grabbed my good friend in league to help me grind out the feats in there. My complaint is pug-ability and gear check. You should be able to friendly be able to randomly pug a duo and not be in there for 30+ minutes because you are undergeared. I have alts that are simply undergeared. I don't play them often, but I like to use them and have fun while doing it. This duo is NOT fun for me. The other two are amazingly fun, challenging and visually stunning, this one is... *sigh* Anyways, I know what to do.
    • Like x 1
  14. Hjal Developer

We've added counters to the wave events in the arena. Hopefully that will give people a better sense of progression and a feel for how far into the fight they are.
    • Like x 2
  15. Roomba Dedicated Player

Generate more threat, yes.

But when there's a clean slate on freshly spawned mobs, should they all attack me right off the bat and none on him? No.
  16. Remander Steadfast Player

Maybe it's your costume? :confused:
  17. drgonosz New Player

Hey Bumbling,

I get what your saying - however, challenge is a good thing. You did it - got the feats but don't like it because it seems unpuggable ... unfair?

This I don't really get - as I (and others) have said there are two other duos that are puggable (?) so why not have one that requires a little more skill?

I think everyone can say that the new DLC content fills the middle ground between Origin Crisis and the last DLC (can't remember). So why not leave a small bit of content for those who are overgeared or like adversity and figuring out solutions.

So I will take the experiment a bit further and pug a number of these duos and not give insight into the mission - see what happens. Not really a true test as I know the duo content inside and out but something to test the puggability notion.

Gonosz
  18. Infiniti New Player

I love the difficulty of this Duo, I successfully pugged it as a healer and with a Pug tank. Sure it took a while, but as they say, slow and steady wins the race.

With a healer and troll its practically impossible to get wiped out. Got all the feats in there the other day including the one where you need to take both sides of the mobs in a minute. Surprised a healer and troll did this. But if you are wondering on the stratergy for this, basically on the left side, just pull 1 guy and run as far back and as far right as you can get. When you cleared around 1/3 of the mob on the left side, pull one guy from the right side. The guys from the left side have further to walk then the guys on the right. Time it well and you should have only 2 adds left, one from each side. We wiped them both out in less than 10 seconds between them.
    I didn't see anyone post a stratergy for this feat, but thought i'd post it incase it helps someone.
  19. Ch3wtobacco New Player

myself I find the wave after wave crap exceedingly boring, drawn out and lacking imagination...to the point I refuse to even run this duo until I have the5 solo missions done...and grudgingly even then...

I did enjoy the other two ( especially the 2 skeletons spooning in bed in the tunnel duo, lol ) but to me knights dome was a clunker in an otherwise well crafted DLC
    • Like x 1
  20. Jamie New Player

I liked the counters being added but find the quest too easy. Yesterday I beat it with another fire tank and didn't think it was that bad. He disconnected before the final boss fight and I almost solo'ed him. A troller joined in and the boss was a joke.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.