Character names

Discussion in 'Game Support' started by HoneyBadger, Mar 1, 2013.

1. HoneyBadger New Player

Dear Tech Support,

While trying to create a character with the theme I made, I got an error that said they were all invalid. I checked to see if any of these names were taken and low and behold they were not.

Steel Spartan
    Iron Spartan
    Ion Storm
    Iron Storm
    Steel/Iron Saint
    Steel/Iron Martyr
    Steel/Iron Templar
    Nathanael Stark
    Nathanael Storm

Wanna know what name didn't come up as Invalid?

Cheezewizz Clownhole.

All I have to say to you is: WTF.
    • Like x 1
  2. HoneyBadger New Player

I also got away with Honeybadger Jenkins.
  3. Magician Dedicated Player

Bad Luck? Licensing blocks with the names of Iron and Storm and Steel maybe?
  4. HoneyBadger New Player

There's also a toon in game named "ProFagSir"

How is "***" allowed but "Iron" isn't?
  5. Magician Dedicated Player

I'd try one word names like SteelSpartan or IronStorm
  6. HoneyBadger New Player

Also invalid. Believe me, I tried. But Chacha Mcgee, ProFagSir, Cheezewizz Clownhole and Honeybadger Jenkins are A-OK!

t(-.-t)
  7. TSR-AlexS Customer Service

You may want to submit a ticket to the gms to see if they can figure out why the names are invalid.
  8. Jasen New Player

You can't use any names or version that's are copyrighted by DC or Marvel. Steel, can't be used because of the Steel character. Iron is part of Iron Man, so on and so forth. When you try to use a copyrighted name it says "Invalid". SteelSpartan, on the other hand is being used by someone, as it says it's "Taken". With a ton of players, many with multiple characters, many basic names are long since been used. You have to be creative, and a little flexible about your characters name.
  9. TSR-AlexS Customer Service

The Gm's will be able to confirm any concerns you have about your character name :)
  10. HoneyBadger New Player

I'm sorry but banning the words "Iron" and "Steel" just because they happen to be a part of trademarked names is absolute horse hockey. I understand banning just "Steel" or "Iron Man" or "Hulk" but its an adjective, which eliminates a crapton of character name possibilities. And considering words like Storm are also blocked out, makes it even more difficult. I couldn't get the name Storm Striker, which is in no way shape or form copyrighted, but since the word "Storm" is in it, it cannot happen.

Here's another set of lists that made it through your shittastic naming policy.

Stormrape
    Ionfag
    Ionicrapist
    Drboobsmaster

Eliminate statements/full names, not just words. Here's proof. This right here, is why you, Sony, needs to rethink and revamp your naming policy.
    [IMG]

Sincerely,

Someone who has spent over an hour trying to come up with a decent hero name instead of actually getting to play the freakin' game.
    • Like x 1
  11. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

You are right. It is hard to find a name. Kinda ironic, that those you mentioned above work.

You spend 5 minutes on character design and setup when you are fast, but the last thing, the name, usually takes longer then all you have done before...

A suggestion feature wouldn't be a bad idea.

If you type in "Steel Spartan" and you can't take it, then it could suggesst (when "steel" is blocked):
    Blue Spartan
    Red Spartan
    Black Spartan
    Fire Spartan
    Ice Spartan
    Hot Spartan
    Cold Spartan
    Mind Spartan
    Time Spartan

My characters all needed at least 5 attempts to get a name...
  12. Mileena New Player

Naming is tough, but I don't understand the copyright thing. There's a character on USPS3 who's name is Marvel Girl (Jean Grey). How is that not invalid? She's a marvel character.
  13. HoneyBadger New Player

The very fact I got away with "Stormrape" shows this system needs a serious overhaul
    • Like x 2
  14. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

...I hope you deleted that character and found a better name...
  15. TSR-AlexS Customer Service

To be honest, the gm's would have eventually changed the name to something more appropriate. I will be more than happy to escalate your feedback to the appropriate team. Thanks again!
    • Like x 1
  16. Sara6991 New Player

I think the naming issues have only gotten worse.

(insert color here) + stalker/hunter/archer/slayer/master/mistress etc.
    (nsert color here) + (insert animal here)
    (insert color here) + (insert profession here)
    shadow + stalker/hunter/archer/slayer/master/mistress etc.

all either invalid or taken.
  17. Sara6991 New Player

18. HoneyBadger New Player

Yeah well, I'm highly in favor of the naming policy in STO or CO. As much as Champions is a crapshoot, the naming policy being tied to a global handle, thus allowing you to name your character whatever you want, is a system this game ought to implement.
  19. Well Endowed New Player

I completely agree, this allows you to avoid players by the global name, therefore having global ignore to prevent further grief from trolls.
    • Like x 1
  20. Kobolt Level 30

CoH after a long time of this (creating char. then finding out you cant get the name you want) implemented a name first option before creating a character...it worked quite nicely. You would think these MMO's (past and present) would get together and have a huge think tank and work out all these probs!!! Sheesh.