The Go Go Gadget Guide to Everything Gadgets

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by TheDark, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Penryn The Gadgeteer

I am going to assume CF means Cryo-Foam.

For your Damage Role, you may want to consider putting a shield like Distract on there. Shields are very useful in T5 content.

For Controller role, I won't put Fear Gas and Cryo-Foam on the same loadout. I pick one or the other depending on the instance and group members. You may want to consider replacing one of them with Vortex Cannon or a power restoring supercharge like Word of Power or Speed Drain.

Edit: I saw you mentioned you were going to be using Rifle. I would suggest reading this thread if you are:
    http://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/tips-on-using-rifle.5401/

Some of the posts in that thread offer good advice, especially post #11.
  2. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Your Controller loadout looks ok. For PvE ,I think bow would be a better idea than MA until you learn the instances. You definitely want to stay ranged on some of the raid and alert bosses.

For DPS role, don't try to lock yourself into a specific loadout. Swap your powers based on the instance and room. I will sometimes change my loadout a few times during a raid, picking the powers that are best suited to the situation. T5 content offers a good balance between boss fights and fighting hordes of dangerous mobs. Also, you shouldn't be getting swarmed in DPS role. Try to attack the mobs the tank rounded up.
  3. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Unless you are stacking a lot of Dominance/Restoration, you probably aren't going to notice much of an improvement in your PvP shield strength. For my pure controller gear, I like putting Vit&Precision in my Yellow/Red slots and Vit&Health in my blue slots. I usually take the 1st tier of Dominance innates in each tree.

Use your shields to absorb big hits. You can also use your shields to buy some time. Some players will simply stop attacking if they see a shield appear. If you want to incorporate additional shielding into your loadout, you may want to take a look at the Personal Dampening Field consumable. That works well if you are using cycling shields with Neural Neutralizer and Distract. I typically save Distract to pick myself up if I get countered.
  4. SavageTofu New Player

I think it is the norm for gadgets to go dps gear in troll stance. I run into it alot. Batteries are not nxt to nothing however. It comes down to play style & who u play with. If your in dps gear in troll stance your not playing as a controller. I have specced into Dom & not. Dom does help control some. Just a bit. If your playing as a troller your playing as support for the group.

However for 1v1 I would agree with you. Being a support player no work 1v1.

I need 4 more peices of vengeance. I am doing strait troll. Spec Dom & vit. Modding Dom/might & prolly vit might.

Just giving out power @ times is a huge boon to good premade. This is dependent on the Map. I 2v2 with an excellent sorcery dps. Just keeping his power bar full & debuffing helps him to do his job so much more effectively. Sure I don't get the glory of the kill but we are winning most our matches. It is interesting because most people have trouble figuring out how to play against this. I don't need to out do my dps friend. Just helping him do his job is good enough.
  5. McBlobbicus New Player

I'm thinking about making a controller alt soon, and with Quantum coming out soon I figured it's safe to assume Gadgets won't be FOTM anymore (I heard it was). Any advice for leveling*? Abilities, weapon etc

*I know to level in damage role if that helps lol.
  6. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

Thanks for the info. I mostly do PVE and the bow has worked better but i know all the instances already(excluding T5). I'll get into that power swapping for raids. I'm usually in controller stance for groups so I haven't done much DPSin with a tank. I'll follow him though. Thanks again!
  7. Rebelyon New Player

Yes, CF is cryo-foam. I'm thinking of skipping a shield since I am using a ranged loadout but I can easily replace turrent with distract.

As for putting FG and CF, its for the encasement effect when you stack GG, CF and FG. GG electrifies, CF adds burning and FG turns them into ice cubes. I assume the effects damages stack though.

Thanks for the link, some of the tips inside are pretty neat :)
  8. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Just to remember to check with your group to see if any of them have encasement breakers. The Damage dealers in your group may get grumpy if you begin making ice cubes and they don't have their loadout setup properly. You may also want to try out Stasis Field if you want to concentrate on encasements.
  9. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Gadgets will still be a popular powerset for DPS role. From what I saw in videos and testing, Gadgets has better burst/clipping opportunities than Quantum. For the controlling side, Quantum's crowd control powers are definitely superior to anything Gadgets can use.

As for advice, try out different weapons and see which one you like. For powers, almost anything can work in damage role. For cheap starter powers, check out Sticky Bomb, Intimidation, Fear Gas, Gause Grenade, and Distract. Use Sticky Bomb to temporarily stun opponents. Gause Grenade gives you a 45% damage modifier and does decent damage. Cast Gause Grenade and then Fear Gas if you want to setup an explosion power interaction. Intimidation is a good clipping power and can do good damage depending on the weapon. Distract is a shield. For the last slot, you may want to consider using Anesthetic as a healing power or Sentry Turret as a pet. Try out the different powers and see what works for you. Let us know if you have any questions.
  10. reg163 New Player

I went full bore Crowd Controller (CC TROL) w/my Hero & Villain Gadgets characters, leaning towards Ranged Attacks. Dual Pistol/Rifle/Martial Arts (Shield & Bow for fun), Acrobatics (Movements, Innates, Launching Roll & Perfect Poise only), VIT & DOM, DOM & PWR and DOM & PRC/DOM & MGT socketed w/SP going to Vitalization & Cunning (and now Power). My motto is 'if they're not attacking you, then I'm doing my job.'

PvE CC TROL Role (w/Dual Pistol) / STEALTH Role:
    L2+■ = Napalm Grenade OR Distract / Cuff 'Em
    L2+▲ = Intimidation / Implosion Mine
    L2+O = Sticky Bomb OR Taser Pull / Bunker Buster OR Surprise Attack
    L2+X = Stasis Field / Thermite Mine
    R2+■ = Vortex Cannon / Sleep Dart
    R2+▲ = Defibrillator OR Anesthetic / RTN

With Acrobatics Movement Mode activated, Intim & Full Auto is the best. I keep that up at all times. SB here & there, VC in yer mouth, SF all over the place (LOOOVE Stasis Field!), pick up KO'd players w/Distract...it's all about the stuns, encasements & debuffs for me. Lots of Damage, lots of Loot Drops (I noticed), Stealth mode is just Heroin icing on the Crack rock cake! CC TROL is the most advanced, most difficult and the most fun, HANDS DOWN! Anyone else have CC TROL thoughts & loadouts?
  11. TheDark Devoted Player

I agree with this. Too many players take on the role of the Controller from the perspective of a healer. Blue bar healing has its strengths and weaknesses. There are situations where it’s just best suited to play this way. Most PUG Controllers I’ve played with can’t even do this right. So imagine them trying to adapt and balance CCing and damage out while trying to power a team. Some players fail to adapt to a group and it’s a group’s ability to adapt to each other that is going to determine whether they are successful or not.

Some of the best Controllers I’ve played with (who were able to multitask and adapt as I did to PUGs when we partnered up) don’t play anymore or as often as they once have. One of the downers is I think my friends list my shrink as I see which Controllers are just great battery’s only and which are able to do it all. T5 raids in the environment where multitasking IS needed. For a long time, players who chose the battery play style didn’t bother me because it was just logical to hand the Damagers more power to finish the raid quicker. It’s very difficult to find these guys if all they have every known and understood is to spam Defib. Some of the PUG controllers were completely unaware of the CC immunities and double tick I describe.
    Scary times ahead. Anyway, my rant is over.

As for power costs, I think I’m just going to include total power cost at full T4, T5 and the lesser tiers for the new players. I’m running out of space in the posts.
  12. Liam Solo New Player

In preparation for T5 I've Expanded the current Vit Table. Mind helping me verify the math? Thanks

PoT = (70*(1+VIT / 1000))
  13. Penryn The Gadgeteer

It has been a long time since I played in a team with two tanks, but it seems like you are going to have to be careful with your crowd control powers if the tanks are trying to round up enemies. For some teams, I can see controller CC powers being used when mobs make it past the tanks and threaten the party. Debuffing, putting out decent offensive numbers, and staying alive will be important. Unfortunately, I get the impression that most groups will just want controllers be a blue bar healers for the new content.

In regards to the guide, I think you can get away with making a statement someplace saying: "The power costs listed below are for T4 and lower PvE equipment. If you are wearing T5 PvE equipment, add 20% to the power cost."
  14. TheDark Devoted Player

Yea you pretty said it.the goal will always be to have the tank(s) round up the mobs they can manage first. Of course we keep NPCs off the group that make their way out of the tanks zone. Tanks will still need help keeping NPCs from beating on them. That's where I think both tanks and controllers need to develop a rotation or call out system so that if/when a NPc has CC immunity for whatever reason, the tank should cycle shields or block until it wears off. If a tank thinks they can CC everything and they're clearly getting beat down doing it, it should be controllers juggling the mobs. This will vary though depending on the group.

Basically, controllers should be CCing and should not neglect that duty 100%. The amount that is needed will depend on the group so that should be kept in mind.
    Controllers will always need to be battery's. the problem will be with the strict blue bar healers not knowing what to do when a NPC sneaks its way up to a healer.
    I think just saying add 20% isn't "friendly." I'll most likely add those numbers for the players who aren't number crunchers.
  15. TheDark Devoted Player

Cool. I'll check it when I get home tonight. I wasnt planning on updating the chart for another few weeks. Hopefully it's all correct. If so, mind if I "borrow" it?
  16. Liam Solo New Player

Thanks, I made it for my reference and its free to use. Excel did most of the work. lol ;)
  17. Penryn The Gadgeteer

How much DOM do you have with that build? For T5 content, you should only need about 800 Dominance. Anything higher than that will improve your self-heals/shield strength, but won't improve your crowd control capabilities. Also, remember to work with your tank. If the tank is rounding up enemies, you don't want to accidentally give those enemies immunity to pulling powers.
  18. D3vi1 Dedicated Player

In regards to CC, as a Gadget, it has always been known that we are PI trollers. Mental CC and GL CC is much different. We can cause group explosions, keep the fire burning or group encasement.

These PI's work well when coordinating with the Tank. Like Penryn said, some people do get grumpy when it comes to encasement. I myself don't mind because I use dual pistols.

In regards to that, I have been practicing with my fellow tank friend to practice encasement when a crowd of NPC's come and gets overwhelming.

He's an ice tank and does his group frostbitten. Once that is set, I'll pot, Fear Gas to defib. Obviously we dont' have anything that could be too overwhelming besides Tala's fire minions. But I did test it in Gates hallway. With bare minimal people jumping in, me and the tank was able to keep everything at bay while dps destroy everything. Preventing the accumulator from spawning more adds. It was just a trial run for fun.

Ofcourse, if we wanted to destroy them we could. I just wanted a demonstration as to ice encasement, once tanks pulls them all in the center with him, I'm able to position myself where I can encase the whole group. Its cheap power but effective. And using PI effects doesn't require that much dom.
  19. Penryn The Gadgeteer

That's a nice demonstration video D3vi1. I will sometimes do the same thing when I'm playing my league's ice tank. He'll round up the enemies and apply the Frostbitten PI, I'll turn them into Ice cubes, and another Ice DPS will use Resonating Gale. It works fairly well when there isn't any lag.

The power interaction side of Gadgets controller is something I rarely see people take advantage of. Most players that I've seen like using their own powers to setup combos, ignoring whatever the controller may already have setup.
    • Like x 1
  20. D3vi1 Dedicated Player

I think due to the fact everyone is so OP at that moment. I enjoy Gadgets out of all the power set, I do have a lot of respect for other powers, but back when the game was rather difficult mostly on those hour long T2 T3 raids, it felt like everyone wanted a GL or Mental troller because of the group shielding they had or even their methods of CC where it feels like they are the Puppet Masters.

The only way I could be as reliable as they were to improved my capabilities and that was to lean towards my PI's. If I had a fire tank, I would focus on causing explosions and keeping everything burning. GG and FG did all that.

If I had an Ice tank and there was an issue where we was overwhelmed, FG and Foam did that. There was also other players that utilize PI's to increase their DPS so it was always helpful to keep the fire burning (Feels like a theme song going).
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.