has anyone used cold snap for ice tanking

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by mecha, Apr 2, 2013.

1. mecha New Player

t5 raids are coming, and i was thinking of putting in cold snap and taking out freeze wave for an increase or different take on defensive/agro capabilities. freeze wave has been more than good to me, and rarely have i seen anyone use coldsnap. i was looking to get some opinions on the power

benefits ive seen for coldsnap are

>aoe
    >ice armour more available
    >low cost
    >10% control resistance
    >every other mob attack initiates yellow damage

vs

freeze wave

>aoe
    >knock down
    >low cost
    >ice field DoT
    >root
  2. zColdFire New Player

Yea I have used it in raids it works well
  3. recespieces31 New Player

Activation of Ice Armor is the biggest reason why I do not use Cold Snap...IMHO, IA is not very useful and quite redundant for an Ice Tank...once IA is activated powers are still needed to gain and maintain aggro during the 60 second period it is activated...that is anywhere from 5-7 powers used that waste the defense boost from the because of IA

Again, this is just my opinion/thought on Ice Armor
  4. Statman New Player

Gotta agree, Ice Armour is redundant in tank stance sadly. I small dominance boost would be better than what we currently have (which is nothing different to our current tank boost).

The only benefit I can see of using Cold Snap over Freeze Wave would be the control resistance that comes with it.

Honestly I haven't had a lot of experience using Cold Snap though, so I could be missing things.
  5. heywatchthisguy New Player

I'm going to disagree with everyone here. The way I see it is your a tank, why not use abilities that make you better at taking damage. As a tank the more damage I can block the easier it is on my healers. The aoe on Coldsnap is great for grabbing aggro and setting up IA once you have aggro use Reflection. And repeat. Couple these powers with Bitter Winds and Winter Ward, which have similar effects as Coldsnap and Reflection but without IA and with shields. Plenty AOEs to keep aggro and your healer will thank you.
  6. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

Cold snap is 3 main componants. Chill Effects to set up PI/ice armor, an AE knockback and an AE damage/reflect. The damage part is pitiful when compared to any other power we get. The knockback we get on most of our shields as well as other AE abilities like freeze wave and resonating gale. The chill effects sets up ice armor faster but as it's been said in tank role it just doesn't really do anything.

Just seems like we have other options for everything it does, if it weren't for the long reuse on it i'd see it as a viable alternative but the reuse makes it so we can't regularly use it which is kinda the purpose of a solid AE agro tool no?
  7. MARK2099 New Player

Pve maybe, pvp purpose ice armor is one of the best thing, 1 minute buff means you only gonna use powers to clip, rather than constant use powers to maintain buff, besides be lock on 50% in dps role is really useful.
  8. recespieces31 New Player

When a Healer Debuffs you, Ice Armor becomes worthless in PvP...while I agree that it is more useful in PvP, IMHO, it still isn't all that useful in PvP