Green Aura????

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Dominic Omega, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Zhouz Well-Known Player

• Like x 1
  2. Darkness New Player

I think the difference is DC likely do not want players creating their own Green Lantern character, while in Injustice, you still play the iconic GLs like Hal instead of making a new one from scratch. Same reason there isn't just a Batman or Superman emblems to be placed on your toons.
  3. AIpha New Player

If DC isn't trusting you with a green aura that says something about their trust in the game doesn't it?
    • Like x 5
  4. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I think it says more about DC's protective (or overprotective) nature in regards to the IP than anything else.
  5. TrueMarvel New Player

Nope
    • Like x 1
  6. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Kind of what I figured. Would it be possible to have a DC representative stop by from time to time so that players can make the case to them, or would that take away your monthly reading fun? :D
  7. AIpha New Player

Its a green aura its not like the lantern symbol its a color and they don't even want us using that while they are letting Turbine make this spanning 6 worlds of DC: http://www.infinitecrisis.com/en. Granted you are actually playing the characters but I mean come on its a color they aren't letting you use. My ring glows green I can literally make an almost perfect replica of Hal Jordan/John Stewart but god forbid someone where a green aura.
    • Like x 2
  8. TrueMarvel New Player

Thats more a lack of intelligence than a lack of trust
  9. DeadMeat Well-Known Player

I believe actually it is *you* they are not trusting with their green auras.

In all fairness, as has been said above, there is a distinction between *being* Green Lantern and *looking like* Green Lantern. In Legends PvP, where you actually are playing in a simulation as the DC character, we can have a green aura on you. You are Hal after all and he has one. However, xX Child Crusher Xx, who is tea bagging his latest victim is definitely *not* a Green Lantern.

I know that the whole IP thing can be frustrating. But companies like DC need to be protective of their properties. The fact that you want a green aura means that they have been successful. We have a fair amount of freedom and DC is a great partner in making this game. There are definitely a few restrictions and I do not begrudge them the ones they have in place.

DeadMeat
    • Like x 23
  10. Ilunis Dedicated Player

I am going to use this in my sig too.
    • Like x 1
  11. AIpha New Player

That is awesome. Touche good sir and thank you for the child crusher comment. I humbly accept defeat.
    • Like x 1
  12. Zizzi New Player

Ignore this, Deadmeat got everything ;)
  13. Kurokei Well-Known Player

14. Little Sister New Player

I wonder why we got a Gold one then.
  15. AIpha New Player

Its ok for yellow lanterns to tea bag?
    • Like x 1
  16. TrueMarvel New Player

Why a red one since that is what the red lanterns have
  17. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I could go into a boring explanation of why DC might be doing what they are doing, but I'll keep it simple because I'm tired. LOL

At the end of the day, we're playing with DC's toys. Since they are their toys, they get to say how we can play with them.

As a side note, though, I have to ask, what ring? Sure my Light character's hand glows, but no matter how close I zoom in, I've never seen a ring. I see it all the time on Hal's hand when I run the Spectre challenge mission.

Guess that was the trade-off. Hal's hand doesn't glow, but he gets an aura and the actual ring. We don't get an aura or a ring, but our hands glow. :D
    • Like x 1
  18. Zhouz Well-Known Player

Because DC was kind enough to give the people those colors, and not lock away the entire emotional spectrum.
  19. CCBatson Dedicated Player

It's actually because Intellectual Properties laws are VERY much against the slightest lapse on the part of a creator/owner. If you do not rigorously protect a certain number of key traits of your property, it an be successfully argued in court that you failed to protect your IP and as such it has entered into Public Domain. Despite how much you might sympathize with a defendant, you as the IP holder *MUST* aggressively prosecute anyone and everyone who challenges through imitation or else it's gone. I suspect that key elements of the Green Lantern IP are features such as:
    • The color green as a significant part of the costume
    • The power ring
    • The lantern oath and emblem
    • the concept of a corps of ring bearers
    • the energy shroud generated by a GL when they fly or protect themselves
    DC has likely been advised by their legal staff that they can be allowed to give some of those features to SOE for gameplay on PC's, but if they give away too many of the features it can then be argued in court that they failed to protect their IP and then they would lose it. Since there's already the fact that HL users get the rings, the colors, and are reserve deputies of the Corps, they probably have to stop short of giving use of the emblem and the shroud/aura.

That's my hypothesis based on what I know of IP law.
    • Like x 4
  20. TrueMarvel New Player

Wait a sec...

HOW DARE THEY NOT TRUST ME!