Please Fix Targeting

Discussion in 'Old Arkham (Bug Archive)' started by MetaMax75, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrankDma1962 Well-Known Player

Mepps, I'm using the standard PS3 controllers that came with it. I only will use a lock (L1) is in a fight with a mini or main boss. But if you want an example of changing locks, go to the Vault with a two-handed weapon. Aim for a prize box without pressing L1 and press the triangle to load for throwing. If a bomb bouncing by just as you're ready to release or have the lock will change to the bomb. Or if you're yellow boxed a prize box it will change to a bomb.

This happens with any of the throwing weapons and sometimes the bow. I've been with the game since beta and I've reported it before.
  2. Gafa New Player

It happens as soon after the target you are locked onto dies. While you're still locked onto a target and it dies the target system auto locks onto the least lethal object, farthest away from you instead of the next target that's hitting you and in your face.

This has always happened in all content of the game.

Just today I was leveling up my new character and running one of the missions (Meta research center) And After the first 2 parts with super girl and on the second floor, I was targeting an object on the first floor THROUGH the floor while I'm being attacked by the mobs in the room. I was using the bow. That is just one example of the horrendous targeting system. It happens everywhere and not just there. It also happened when I tried throwing sticky bomb at the mobs in front of me, but instead of it hitting what is attacking me, I'm targeting the boxes that contain the random kryptonite below me instead.

And not even just that, You have to break lock for a second to re-acquire lock for your abilities (which only takes probably half a second). While doing so, sometimes it will lock onto a random object instead of what you just had a lock on and are still looking at. As a sorcery healer, it is frustrating to waste power healing a healing barrel across the room while the group I'm in is dying and I'm the forced to spam off rejuv, wasting more power, because my circle is busy healing an inanimate object.

I thought about recording this to show you exactly what everyone is talking about but, it's impossible to play the game while holding my phone and recording it.

This is a legitimate issue in the game. fix it please.
    • Like x 1
  3. randomkeyhits Dedicated Player

Something I've noted is that the targeting code and the can-hit code are done differently.

The game is stupid enough to target an object I cannot even see, even through a wall BUT it is intelligent enough to know it is impossible for me to hit its choice of target and thus I cannot damage it. If I can't hit it then it should be relegated in priority to lower than any of the possible targets that I can hit. ggggrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!

Something else that really annoys me is that while I hold L1 lock my camera will close in on my toon. I don't want this! If I'm zoomed out then I have a reason for being zoomed out whether I need L1 lock or not.
    • Like x 3
  4. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

For those experiencing the target switching midfight, do you have the auto lock-on setting turned on (in your settings)?
  5. Captain Just New Player

The problem isnt really switching targets midfight... Its when the enemy you are attacking gets KO'ed and it automatically targets something else. Half the time when this happens the autotarget system will target something way far away, instead of the remaining enemies right in front of you.

For me, this doesnt happen very often because I tend not to button mash and I just switch targets manually if I notice that something far away is being targeted. I do not use the target lock-on setting and I notice it doesn't happen to me often at all.

This will be tricky to fix, because for some players(mainly tanks) it is very important to be able to target an enemy far away and not part of the mob right in front of you. So a priority targeting system is something that would be very tricky to incorporate.
  6. hugstar1208 New Player

Will check and update if needed but 99% sure that my auto lock-on is off
  7. TK PUSHA Dedicated Player

thanks for bringing that into the discussion.
    it needs to be clarified within all of the posts in this thread whether or not people are using the auto lock function.
    i've had a hard time commenting on posts because alot of the stuff ive been reading really cant be sorted out without knowing whether auto lock is on or off.

personally i have it off ,and honestly i can not attest to any targeting issues... though it is highly possible i am just overlooking them.
  8. Old Gravyleg New Player

I don't use auto-lock and typically don't lock on manually either. I experience multitudes of targeting problems.

I should target whatever is in my reticle, unless I've locked onto the target, simple as that. Make the circle smaller, make the character attack whatever is inside of the circle. I'd also suggest completely removing target lock, this game is a joke in the difficulty department, and requiring precise aim would go a long way to rectify that. However, that's digressing from the topic at hand.

Manual targeting needs to be fixed.
  9. Peacemakaz Committed Player

O.O, I haven't experienced these issues in over year, though I do remember this back in the day happening from time to time.

I have since taken target lock off, and almost always hold L1 when I am targeting, and have noticed that the next target always seems to be based on where your screen is facing. Hope that helps.
  10. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Those are problems with targeting, maybe bugs and maybe not, but we're really trying to focus on the target-switching problem in this thread, since that was the first post.

11. MercPony Devoted Player

Best example I can give of my experience is I have auto-target on but when I am in Prime Battleground (for one example), instead of focusing on Brainiac it will switch to the healer drones when he summons them when I want to stay focused on Brainiac to make sure I am maintaining his healing debuff. Its a bit annoying trying to find him again to target him amidst all the mayhem.
  12. TrueMarvel New Player

For some unknown reason it seems my targeting has higher priority on far away eneimes, and barrels. It isn't proximity based, nor even direction based.
  13. Old Gravyleg New Player

This might be slightly off topic, but I feel the need to tell you that the debuff doesn't affect healing received, it affects healing output. The drones doing the healing need to be debuffed, not brainiac himself, because he has no healing mechanic.
  14. MercPony Devoted Player

Hmm, I've noticed he doesn't get healed up as fast when I have the debuff on him but to clarify more on it, I like to target him first before the drones themselves (I'm usually helping knock them out of the air use Napalm to do that). So way I usually play in the battle I would like to stay on Brainiac first before the drones and being able to choose my targets.
  15. Old Gravyleg New Player

I'm not the kind of guy to judge another guy's target priority. You should be able to target whatever you want to target and that's what this topic is about!!

Something as fundamental as the ability to choose a target intuitively should be priority number one on the list of things that the developers need to work on.
  16. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Noted, but this isn't the correct thread or forum for that.
  17. xSpartacusx Well-Known Player

I had auto lock on, so turned it off, and the problem is still there.
  18. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

To confirm, your target will switch midfight with auto lock-on both on and off?
  19. xSpartacusx Well-Known Player

Yes Mepps, i had auto-lock on, till saturday when i turned it off, but problem is still there.
  20. Nekron 99 Loyal Player

Could it be related to the amount of pressure I'm holding the lock button in with? When it last happened I noticed that I was doing a combo with a bunch of quick button presses to clip animations and I may be losing full pressure on the button while doing this. I also notice that as I press the target lock button the reticule closes onto the target before it eventually is fully closed and 'locked'. So I'm theorizing that if the reticule opens slightly and the target prioritization of the game is an object behind me then the game automatically moves my reticule to that target. I'll have to test this more to see if this is actually what is happening.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.