The evolution of dps - burst vs DoT

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Jim Dandy, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Spidersting Committed Player

I don't think you have a grasp on what it truely is to be a fire dps. I think you need to sit down and do some testing. Don't just sit there and cast a few powers and think you are testing. Really try out new things read the descriptions and sit down and really test out the powers. Fire has the potiential to keep up with Gadgets and HL in a multi target situation.

The problem with players these days is that they just don't want to test anything they want everything handed to them on a silver platter and when it doesn't happen or they can't figure it out they cry wolf and say stuff is broken when it really isn't. Mental did the same thing when it got its changes. Players couldn't bare to think outside of the box and try new things. I posted 2 videos showing the better powers to do dps with in a raid situation, combined they have roughly 15k-20k views. I waited to post those vids roughly a month after the powerset had been changed. The qq threads were off the wall, i was even told i was wrong on occasion a few times from supposed mental players that had been mental from day 1. Now if you read what mental dps are using for loadouts the majority of the loadout is what i had in my videos with some minor tweaks for thier style of play. Mind you i had figured out the powers within roughly 3days of testing when it released.

Why did i say all this? Because it shows that players flat out didn't test stuff like they claimed they did and only after seeing the numbers presented to them in a video did they actually see how well it performed and started to use it. The QQ threads subsided. All the fire crying is the same thing all over again. So wipe your tears off, stick your chin up, and go test EVERYTHING. Just goofing off with a few of the so called garbage powers players are complaining about i saw massiving potiential for dmg using of all things A RANGE WEAPON.

If you think fire is so bad then how about this, post a video of you doing dps in a raid vs the so called good powersets. Then we can see what you are using and what you are doing wrong and maybe we can correct your mistakes. And don't ask me to post any videos because i am done handing out silver platters.
    • Like x 2
  2. Sore Steadfast Player

So if I got this straight, HL and Gadgets set the benchmark that all other powers are being compared against. LOL!

1) The devs never ever bring everyone else UP to the strongest powersets. Regardless of how you want them to approach it, the fact remains. That's simply not how they handle it. Instead they have their own internal standards on how balance should work and attempt to bring everyone to the same point in the MIDDLE. HL and Gadgets will eventually be coming DOWN.

2) They don't nerf powers because people QQ about them. They nerf powers because they have pulled away from the MIDDLE. People QQ because they see powers pulled away from the MIDDLE. Too many players confuse the symptom (QQ) with the cause (OP). I don't even need details. It's like predicting weather by gauging pressure and temperature. OLD MAN: Yep, storms a' comin'.

Fire is strong enough. Nature is strong enough. Sorcery is strong enough. Mental is strong enough. Ice is strong enough. Earth is strong enough. Aside from HL and Gadgets, it's all minor tweaks from here forward.
    • Like x 1
  3. blazeing fire111 Devoted Player

great one more thread about fire crying. -.-
  4. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

It's not so much about fire crying as it's about people using more burst damage than DoTs. Then it devolved into a Gadgets/Hard Light/Fire debate.

Funny though, I haven't seen people talking about Ice DPS in these kinds of threads.
  5. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

Ice is pretty sweet tbh. Good burst single target, good burst large AEs, good DoT AE's. If it's lacking something it's the burst small numbers AE (4 target cap type stuff), but res gale is solid enough =).
  6. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

Hmm, that's true. The only 4-target cap I can think of is Freeze Wave.
  7. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

Aye, well i was thinking ice boulder and snowball as well, but basically I guess what I mean is they have no quick burst AE that uses a PI well. Ice boulder is a very slow animation. Snowball doesn't increase damage. Freeze wave makes icey field but that PI is pretty /meh and unreliable. So personally I just use res gale and single stuff, if I need AE I have 2+ clips I can use to make it a faster animation.
  8. FANT0MEXX New Player

DoTs vs Burst imo really comes down to gear and mobs DoTs dont have a chance most of the time to make it do what it do because stuff die to fast because everyone is full t4 and modded out but when t5 comes out DoTs will have time to burn down things until everyone is full t5
  9. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

Chill Effects Snowball hits 8 targets (sometimes more if you're lucky) and, if Ice Boulder Strike is exactly the same as Meteor Strike, then it as well. Wintry Tempest's burst AoE used to be a 4-target burst damage though, until that was changed at the last minute.

Try also Reflection. It's weaker than Gale, but it also doesn't split damage.

Overall, I think Ice DPS nowadays is more of Burst damage too. Not nearly as powerful as Gadgets or HL but has better options for AoEs.
  10. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

Aye, like I said I kinda misspoke initially, Ice lacks solid PI using AEs. Snowball doesn't gain damage unless rooted (rare in raids). Ice Boulder is a slow animation and splits heavily. Res Gale is slow animation and bad PI (but doesn't split so I use it), Wintry Tempest I've never liked tbh but again doesn't use a PI sets it up.

Right now I use Res Gale clipped with ice bash, reflection or trinkets. Rarely do I have enough enemies to be worthwhile and not have something to clip it with.

Overall to get back on topic, i'm unimpressed with DoTs. Some are OK but only if they have a higher overall damage potential in a reasonable time without stacking issues. Burning effects, naw stacking issues. Icy field PI, not any better than other PIs in total potential damage (actually less). Then take Wintry Tempest, i'll keep using Res Gale over it because it's an AE set, most AE situations things are dead before dots can run their course.

Burst is consistant, very rarely do I hit a burst power and not get all the damage from it, can't be said for DoTs or cast time powers.

MAYBE in t5 the trash will last 10s+ but I kinda doubt it.
  11. Jaye31987 Well-Known Player

Sup Dump, it was fun playing with you at that dawn raid, but I have to agree with Flint. The best Fire player will NOT beat the best Gadget player. My friend who is gadget never lost a DPS battle. He will crush any fire player (I'm fire myself and pretty good at it). I could set up a match if you wanna check out his sick damage.

Soulburn32 mentioned that we don't do much damage due to we mostly do DoT; therefore we don't get full effects of our damage, since the mobs die too fast...I first thought to believe that but after doing a test run of just 2 dps (my gadget friend and I), with no debuffs on mobs, the mobs was surely receiving my full DoT and my friend still ***** my damaged.
  12. AllanPage Committed Player

I don't like DOT powers now unless i am in raids where mobs have high health, even then i prefer the burst damage. For alerts i prefer burst damage like Gadgets/HL.

Also i would like to point out i love having a fire dps on my side. I have a friend who is a nice fire dps since a long long time and there hasn't been a raid where he (fire) and I (gadgets) have failed to get things done when working together. He still does the same damage as before, but this is in raids, in alerts he doesn't do that well because I kill things faster before his DOTs start taking effect.

I've seen top notch HL dps'ers get beat by Sorcery, Gadgets beaten by Fire, Nature even Earth. They are all fine but my personal preference is burst damage,
  13. TrueMarvel New Player

Still wish dots didn't overwrite sdo much. I think I'm goint to start shouting "Need DPS for Fos2 non fire"
  14. JessTier New Player

I guess it all comes down to the approach, personally, I think that it doesn't matter who's doing the most damage, just as long as the damage is getting done and the MOBs are being taken down in timely fashion :p
  15. TrueMarvel New Player

Still haven't lost to anyone in my CR range... some people just don't know how to play fire imo.
  16. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

That's all well and good until you've done the raid or whatever too many times to have it still be entertaining in itself. Then it turns into the metagame that is scorecard competitions.

By no means am I worred about scorecards on anything that is a challenge to just beat. Once it becomes boring though then I need something to make it entertaining =).
  17. Soulburn32 Loyal Player

I might never beat a truly skilled HL or Gagets guy in total damage but more often then not they had to use 20% more power than me for marginal increase in total damage.
  18. Sylar-Man New Player

LOL I noticed when Dump Truck proposed a challenge Flint stopped posting. I think this would be the best opportunity to prove your point Flint.
    • Like x 2
  19. Bonemonkey627 New Player

This thread is such a joke ! Comparing fire to HL & gadgets is a joke !! 3 weeks running tried them all ... Just finished dawn lost to both dps'es by 300k lol ...

Y'all keep saying fire is ok or who-ever is saying it & I'm here calling you guys out ... Match your fire dps vs the dps'es in my league and if you stay with in 20k ill get back on here and repost it !! Until then fire is trash !!
  20. TrueMarvel New Player

better challenge. Put both of the DPS in t2 gear and have them run FOS2....

I Just went into FOS2 and destroyed a HL t3 by 300k and a t4 fire dps by 200k
    You wanna know whats crazy? me and the other fire DPS were overwriting eachother the whole time.....
    My alt is only cr 64 btw