The evolution of dps - burst vs DoT

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Jim Dandy, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Jim Dandy New Player

When dcuo first came out, we were all equal. Grinding out our t1 gear, and almost everything was a challenge. It took so much longer for mobs to die, that the focus seemed (to me at least) to be on DoTs. However, in the last year or so, people have become so ridiculously over geared for the content that dps has become more about how fast you can do damage, not necessarily how much you can do, ie burst damage. This presented a big challenge for me as a nature player, as almost all of our powers are DoTs. I changed my playstyle, relying on grenade clipped with briar for as close to burst damage as nature can get.

My question is, how has your playstyle/loadout changed (if at all) since launch in regards to burst vs. DoT. Or maybe you disagree completely with me, I'm curious to know. Personally, I miss how challenging this game was before our gear became so overpowered.
    • Like x 5
  2. Dump Truck New Player

It has more to do with controller's vit levels which enabled dps's to clip at faster-more power consuming ways. As fire, post U24 I can still beat many gadgets and HL players in Gates with an all dot loadout. Neither is better, but some better suited for some things than others. Burst damage became more in fashion for pvp. Healers can easily heal through slow tick dots - but you can net the most damage with no kills. While burst may not net you the most damage, but will help you get more kills.
    • Like x 3
  3. Jim Dandy New Player

That's a good point. I don't think clipping became widely used or even known about for quite a while after launch. It is probably the biggest difference with how the game is being played today compared to 2 years ago.
    • Like x 1
  4. Dee Pius New Player

With the addition of T5 I hope things become difficult again, and mobs do take a while to burn, even with 3 good DDs. I'd like to see a raid with an hour "speed feat", that only full a full T5 "skilled" group could get(so you could imagine how hard it will/would be for a full T4 geared group going into it for the first time.).

On a side note and on topic, my Electric DPS loadout has went from all DoT orientated when T4 arrived & was competetive then and is now completely burst damage and is competitive now, where the DoTs are not as hot as they used to be.
    +1
  5. JessTier New Player

LMAO! great so not only are we stuck with the weakest class in PVP... now we're also responsable for the whole play style changing :p (joking of course)
  6. M15TER ROBOT0 New Player

anyone who wants a challenge, put on tier 1 gear and try to run some of this stuff that is tier 2. I look forward to the day when I can say this game isn't hard, cause never have I seen a character at level cap feel so powerless.
  7. Flint Lockwood Well-Known Player

This makes me laugh everything I read it. You're not beating a good Gadget or HL player as Fire. Period! If you are, it's simply because they suck horribly, godawful bad. Fire is weak, lame and no longer viable for competitive DPSing.

Gadget and HL losing to Fire..... Hahahahahahahahahahah
  8. Dump Truck New Player

Which shows, once again, you do not know how to use fire effectively for DPS-ing. We have tried to help you but you can;t get past fireburst. Basically fire dps never changed much, the best DPSing always involved dots, clipping, and melee weapons not cast times. Pre-U24 melee clipping and dot stacking trumped fireburst every time. Since U24 - the same holds true. While I understand you are not happy about it, I don't think you should criticize the players I run with. I'm pretty sure they are some of the best on USPS3.
    • Like x 5
  9. Statman New Player

I think it might also have to do with what powers were considered 'top DPS' at the time. It is only over the last 6-9 months that a lot of the more 'burst damage' power sets have become more prominent for DPS powers. This shift probably also has to do with the popularity of clipping bringing these other power sets to the forefront of damage out. Some examples would be Electricity/Nature vs Gadgets/HL.
  10. Flint Lockwood Well-Known Player

You know nothing. I never used fireburst, I've always been a SS melee Fire DPS since launch. I never complained about Fireburst because, like I stated above, I never used it. It was never worth the constant interrupts and cast times. Again, you know nothing.
  11. Flint Lockwood Well-Known Player

Fire is weak, any skilled Gadget and HL player with crush a Fire DPS into dust and sprinkle what's left into the wind. If you're on top, it's because they're not very good. Sorry. Fire's DoTs do not compare will Gadgets and HL burst damage. Most enemies will be relived of their HP before Fire has a chance to really burn. Maybe when T5 content is released, with higher HP adds, Fire might burn again. But, at present, it's baby poo!
  12. Dump Truck New Player

If you knew something about fire melee, then you would know that it's just as good, if not stronger, than pre-U24. If you want gadgets so bad, spend ten dollars and go gadgets. If you want to complain more about fire, either learn to play the power set or keep one of your existing threads alive.

And yes, you do complain about fire a lot. And I've even defended you (at times). Here are those links:
    http://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/fire-is-being-stomped-out.970/
    http://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/the-burning-truth.1565/
    http://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/my-problem-with-fire.1984/page-3
    http://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo...-revamp-details-inside.777/page-21#post-17975
    http://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/fire-still-burns-bright.1608/page-2#post-18960
    http://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/omg-fire-no.1594/page-4
    • Like x 8
  13. Soulburn32 Loyal Player

The more targets around you the more damage fire does in melee loudouts, we wont ever keep up with gadgets single target but i really havent seen anything that we are super far behind, if your not keeping up with some people maybe they are just that much better than you?
    • Like x 3
  14. Flint Lockwood Well-Known Player

I complain about Fire, yes. Not Fireburst. Point of those useless links? Aside from being pointless. Thanks for taking the time to look them up, tho. Actually, no!

Fire needs to be complained about because it sucks and it's not competitive. It hasn't been competitive in months, actually. And I didn't ask you, or any of the other Dumptrucks on these boards, to defend my position. I'm more than capable of doing that on my own.
  15. Flint Lockwood Well-Known Player

No, Gadgets it just better. Period. I don't care how much lying you do. It matters for not how much any you convince yourselves otherwise. Deny away. You're not beating Gadgets and HL. And if you do, it means the other player were hot garbage. All the burning fire does with its DoTs and sustained damage is useless because all the enemies are dead and gone long before it's beneficial.

Keep lying to yourselves. Only shows you're beyond ignorant to the truth.
  16. Impact Prime New Player

Actually you can't to any benef, argue your position alone. Thinking you can and telling people who share your view is a very bad way to think and act. SOE is a business, they'll do what they believe will make their target audience happy and want to spend money on their products. They will, therefore, respond to the wants of the majority - within reason of course. If you're serious about being heard, you want people on your side, showing that they share your position by arguing against people who oppose it.
  17. Jim Dandy New Player

If you want to argue about which power is better, could you please start a new thread? However, if you'd like to talk about how gadget's burst damage is currently more effective than fire's DoTs, then please do. There are more than enough fire vs other powers threads.

On topic, I'm curious how the fire update changed fire. Did they change any powers from DoT to burst or vice versa? I wonder if the devs are leaning towards one more than the other in their power revamps.
  18. TrueMarvel New Player

Fire is fine. Melee fire is actually even stronger then it was before with more options than ever. The mere fact that there are constructive conversations about whether someone should spec into Overheat or Spont C. or Snuff or any other combinations of powers kinda proves that. In terms of melee DPS, fire got the gadgets treatment. FOr Fire melee DPS there is now a number of ways to have great loadouts. Ranged Fire DPS actually got a gadgates treatment as well(no longer cookie cutter), its just masked by the needed fix of fireburst and the accidental nerf of meteor. As soon as meteor gets fixed you will see just how good the revamp was. Fire actually did get the gadgets treatment. we are more versatile than ever. Less cookie cutter by far. Really the only thing that would have made this update uber awesoem is that snuff-out be made like photon blast. Not sure why'd the devs purposely gave us the inferior version of 35% finishers.
    • Like x 1
  19. Flint Lockwood Well-Known Player

Is Fire as viable a DPS class compared to Gadgets and HL. Variety is fine and dandy. But that doesn't change Fire from being several classes down from best. The changes they made did not balance the power. It did not bring it in line with the others. Gadgets and HL are both more effective, both more efficient at dealing damage.
  20. Volaron New Player

Can't wait for Tier 7 gear. We'll have so much power we won't be able to get rid of it. lol.
    • Like x 3