Colorable powers (it is Possible)

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by CTG Gamez, Mar 20, 2023.

1. CTG Gamez New Player

We need to have colorable powers in DCUO, it could be made as a color pallet on an additional style tab that allows literally 1 or 2 base colors to base your powerset on. Or even a preset range for all powers including the simple colors like red, purple, pink, blue, green, yellow, orange, black, or white.

Why this IS possible: It already exists... here are some simple examples.
    - Grail is clearly based on Red Atomic possibly mixed with a big of rage.
    - Anti-Monitor is Pink Quantum
    - Drowned is Black/Purple Water
    - Cosmic Boy is Silver retextured quantum
    - Synn (Thanagar) is an Earth textured goldish color Hard Light, or debatably a gold Earth with extra abilities.
    - Lantern colors (we all know enemies come in all colors)

The above are just a few of so many dozens of examples I could give, proving colored powersets are not just possible, but already have been present for years.

My simple request is that this is added for players so that we can use things like white water, green fire, black earth, or whatever our minds desire...

Who is with me?:)
    • Like x 8
  2. Limey Committed Player

I have personally been a quiet proponent of this concept, particularly as a potential style, either with a drop-down menu such as auras, or even it's own dedicated equip slot like materials, with the potential for standard colors, and if the concept is viable, perhaps evolving it even further in the same manner that auras started out as standard colors, and ended up with a large variety of auras with different effects. Start with standard colors for powers but then with coding tech development, ghostly powers for Halloween? Snowy powers as a christmas 'color'?

Though I would be concerned that there might be bugs that prevent this from working in the same way that trailing movement mode effects are kind of bugged on consoles.
    • Like x 4
  3. Gundraasi Well-Known Player

Strongly standing for this option and made several suggestion in polls and older posts already. More customization is always appreciated! Go team go! ;)

Cheers
    • Like x 2
  4. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

While I'd love this, they may not be able to for technical and/or agreement reasons (for players, I mean, letting us choose what specifically we want vs making a specific single version for a specific Iconic are not quite the same thing), don't really know. Also this isn't testing feedback, this is an idea/suggestion, this sort of thing should go in Gotham City/General Gameplay just for future reference.
    • Like x 4
  5. FlawlessTime Dedicated Player

Yes yes and definitely yes after they work out the bugs etc.
  6. Avelox Active Player

Since they've announced that we are getting no new powers going forward it would be nice to have some ways to vary the ones we have. I think color tinting your abilities would certainly spice things up. Would be great to be able to play as an Orange Lantern finally.

Also maybe the devs could look into rebalancing the movement tree powers. I dont know about you guys but I'd love to be able to use the movement tree powers in PvE without sacrificing output. We play superhero games to play like the heroes. That means if you are a speedster you want to do movement attacks and if you are an acrobatic you want to flip kick around and stuff.

These requests would take up valuable devs time I know. But in my opinion it would be time well spent because you wouldn't be adding new powers but you'd be giving the players the ability to play in ways that would make us feel as though we had more power choices.
    • Like x 1
  7. xGMZen Well-Known Player

I think this would be better than new power sets because it would take less time than making a whole new powerset, testing, calculating, nerfing, vamping, and all the nonsense every power went through. with color options for our powers it would certainly be easier.
    I'd have no objections other than decreasing the intensity of each color so players don't get blinded by the powers in battle. that would cause seizures and eye problems in the future and end up in a lawsuit, (just covering their basis)
    • Like x 1
  8. Raven Roth Committed Player

So badly I have always wanted these options for Celestial:

Spectral Green for cursed (based on the wraiths The Spectre summons in Glennmorgan Square)

White/rainbow for blessed (Based on Source energy)

Gold/light blue for blessed (Donna Troy inspired)

Orange/red/black for cursed (Etrigan/Trigon/Avatar of Sin inspired)
    • Like x 1
  9. Raven Roth Committed Player

considering there can only be one Orange Lantern at a time, that's going to be tricky
  10. FlyingFingers Well-Known Player

Because of certain things all powers probably won't have the every color option. But I can see a few powers could have it why the hell not I say .
    • Like x 1
  11. Ergotth Committed Player

These power recoloring don't have to be counted as canonical.
  12. Ergotth Committed Player

The game's setting actualy have a slider for effects visibility :) You can make power effects less visible. I know I had this issue when tanking because I was the center of all these effects, and Quantum's "Distortion Wave" was straight up giving me a MIGRAINE!
  13. RamaKrishna New Player

14. Avelox Active Player

Well if we pull on the logic string too tightly we might all find that our character choices make little sense. That being said there may only be one ring bearer in the comics but on several occasions there have been other wielders of avarice. I'd also be into playing around with playing as an Indigo Lantern or perhaps a Star Sapphire.
  15. ANGELUX New Player

With the colors there are now, I'm about to have an epileptic attack to add variations. :eek:
  16. Doctor England New Player

I would love this! Have it be like a material or movement style, where it just overrides. Maybe an option or two for each power. Tintable would be too much, but a “quantum-red” override of “fire-green” override would be fun. Food for thought!
    • Like x 1
  17. xXlNesTlXx Well-Known Player

Sometimes is hard to distinguish between allied or enemy powers (as tank I always stay in a middle of flashing powers) so add a color customization to this, would be more confusing, because as you said, many of the enemy powers are just regular powers, with a different color...you can imagine a fight against Antimonitor with a player with a pink quantum? thanks but, no thanks
    • Like x 2
  18. Anak Panah Well-Known Player

I second what xXlNesTlXx said. In a game with a PvP component and where tanks basically are PvPing bosses all the time, there cannot be free choice of power colors. Powers must be clearly identifiable all the time.

E.g. if you are suddenly surrounded by some emanating purple stuff, you know it is your mental controller in the group and not some enemy AOE.
  19. ANGELUX New Player

I think they should put some more power, (Wind, Material, Elastic... (and of course The Raccoon Cartman ;):D ).
  20. CTG Gamez New Player

If they want to prevent a seizure lawsuit, they should fix that bug that causes the screen to freak out with all these green and purple flashes. Colored powers won't cause this because every power is already a different color lol.