Hey, can we make this targeting logic for Allies everywhere?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Reinheld, Feb 18, 2023.

1. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

So, after doing a bunch of Pride bounties the last weekend, I noticed something I previously missed on earlier runs. Even with the dozens of adds he summons, or even the adds who are around the perimeter of the battle area, HOL bot (I'd guess other Allies as well) seems to ONLY target Pride. As though there is a targeting preference for the boss over adds. This is very unlike most other places where even if you are toe to toe with a boss and target locked, allies will sometimes target a trash add, or inanimate object no where near you and ignore the boss right in front of you.

While I appreciate the change on Pride, is there any reason that this same agro priority couldn't be applied in every boss fight at least? If it's a pile of non boss adds, sure....all could be equal and maybe you get the wrong one targeted, but if there is a boss and adds, the allies should target the boss, or if AOE, should put the boss in the center of their attack. And if there are multiple bosses, like the Rouges fight in FV, you should still have a 1 in 3 (or 4) chance of hitting the boss you want....not some ally rat or mirror that's not even in your field of view.
    • Like x 7
  2. Ryazan Dedicated Player

I'd love if the depiction in this meme ceased to exist...

[IMG]
    • Like x 10
  3. Cyclonic Dedicated Player

Interesting. Perhaps Pride was a test. I sincerely doubt that your ally waa accidentally being awesome.
    • Like x 1
  4. Emoney Dedicated Player

I never really have this issue. In a boss fight with adds, I make sure to call out my ally when I dont have any AOEs going, then hit the boss with a few weapon attacks to get the ally to attack the boss, then go back to my normal loadout.

The only time the ally attacks a target other than the one I am locked on is it I have an active AOE going, as fire that means any target with burning applied could take the ally's attention as soon as I call him out.
  5. Illumin411 Loyal Player

From what I've been told many times, Krypto does a much better job of targeting YOUR target than HOL bot. Perhaps there is hope after all! And yes, I throw my support behind this plea.
    • Like x 1
  6. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I chalked it up to luck a few times, but I hit it on several toons using different powersets. And I'm not sure I ever saw it go for anything but Pride. Even doing the thing where it will teleport forward if the boss was mid dash to the other side of the area. I'd guess one or 2 of them would have triggered the 'kill adds' mentality if it were just being lucky.
  7. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

That could be, but that kind of sucks too, especially as I'm still using Grim which will also set everything on fire. I'll try to generally launch him when I see no adds around if possible, but even then, if they spawn in AFTER he's out, he'll sometimes grab agro then too. It's annoying, and IF they re-worked it for Pride, I'm not sure why it wouldn't apply on other boss fights.
  8. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

Maybe because Pride is hard to target sometimes? She never stands in one place for more than a second or two, there's like a billion soulless sentinels all stealing focus, and she spawns 2-3 firenadoes at a time, making it hard to even find her, let alone target her, sometimes.

So maybe someone said, "You know what? I'll throw the players a bone. I'll let the HOL robot actually target Pride instead of everything else."
  9. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Oh, I'm 90% sure that's it. You'd almost never get a boss hit for the whole fight other than the initial 30-40 seconds before he starts spawning the extra adds in, and even then, if one of the perimeter adds were near enough, the dopey Ally would attack it vs the giant demon in front of you.

I'm just saying why not apply that every where? I can appreciate more than one bone being thrown my way.
    [IMG]
  10. Ryazan Dedicated Player

Sorry to burst your bubble with what seems to be a shameless plug, but Krypto in this video attacks a useless add several times...

At 1:44 he already does it...
    • Like x 2
  11. beardrive Committed Player

Unless you are on a single boss any of the single target allies that I have used will work randomly at best.

It's also line of sight, so I've actually stood on a curb and had krypto do absolutely nothing and just disappear. This happens more often than not in any playing field that isn't entirely flat.

The targeting needs to be line of sight independent, because all those objects in front of it prevent it from even doing anything, and because it can't see the boss because of the object in front of it it's not going to blink to it.

The blink only works if it sees the target. Otherwise it does whatever, either hits the random first thing or spins back off into the air.

When they work, they work quite well. But how often do they work, and how often are objects in front of everything that you do in most instances? That answer is often.
  12. BUDOKAI101 Committed Player

If you plan to use a single target Ally against a boss with alot of adds around. You must first take blast adapter off you also cant have any aoe attacks on ur loadout. As both of those will cause single Target misfire for a single Target Ally. I always tap range twice before calling it out making sure those light 2 range taps hit the target. so for sure the ally does aswell. Sometimes ads will get in the way of your single target attack they will stand in front of line of sight there's nothing you can do about that. But this strategy makes it so much better. This would also be the reason why everyone just sticks with Superman as an ally combat. But if you can't pay to win you're stuck with what you got