Sad State of Our Graphics

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Empress_Orana, Nov 29, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Empress_Orana Well-Known Player

Just realized, with our current gen capabilities, our graphics should look like the cinematic trailer.

Yet we are stuck in a WoW state of hell
    • Like x 2
  2. Irvynnge Loyal Player

I like "our" graphics.
    • Like x 12
  3. GermanM Committed Player

+1
    • Like x 7
  4. The Bad Guy Well-Known Player

The graphics in this great game are fine the way they are.
    • Like x 10
  5. Eve YouTuber

Same
    • Like x 9
  6. Quantum Rising Committed Player

I like our graphics as well however an option to pump it up to another level would be nice .
    • Like x 3
  7. Skoll Well-Known Player

Game development isn’t that simple. This is a UE3 game. Subvert your expectations. Even for the glorious “graphical update” that may or may not ever happen, expect texture updates and things such as that.
    • Like x 8
  8. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

I expect nothing without the announcement of a major investment of capital into DCUO.
    • Like x 4
  9. willflynne 10000 Post Club

The graphics of this game have been and always will be limited to a degree so long as static platforms like consoles are involved, especially if there's a console in the mix that's on the lower end of things in terms of graphics horsepower. Without the ability to readily and easily upgrade parts of the platform, there's always going to be a limit on what the game can look like. Things like the graphics engine chosen for the game itself just adds to those kinds of challenges.

But even with all that in mind, I have to echo sentiments already put into the thread: the graphics are fine.
    • Like x 6
  10. Empress_Orana Well-Known Player

You mean like the 300+ million dollar one they received when they got bought a couple years ago?
  11. Empress_Orana Well-Known Player

The graphics are fine, but they could be better. They for sure need to improve the power and character animations
  12. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

It’s not as simple as you’re making it seem. Only so much can be done for 2 key reasons. One is that this game is on UE3. And 2 it’s not just about making better for one server/console. They have to make it compatible with all platforms where they allow this game to be played. That includes the switch.

Investors could dumb more money into the game and it still wouldn’t change the facts.
    • Like x 2
  13. BumblingB I got better.

Hmm... I think you also expect it to be on the same level of a 1 player game. Please show me the graphical quality of an MMO and I'll show you it's no where near the same as something that doesn't go online. Heck, I've been playing Pokemon Violet and the visuals are only slightly better than DCUO and it's multiplayer elements are host based online play. Warframe is pretty, but try going to the relays, graphics drop. lol FF14 is also pretty, but it isn't much better than DCUO in quality either. It does win on server load, usually due to the fact they have a bigger budget for hardware and updates considering the company.

Yeah... I think people need to compare the MMO apples to MMO apples.
    • Like x 9
  14. Wallachia Devoted Player

The answer you - and many others - constantly fail to answer is: WHY?

What is your basis for this aside of personal taste?

"This game over here has better graphics" - Then go play this game. This fallacy is as absurd as wanting me to be proficient in MMA because Anderson Silva is a professional MMA fighter.

The graphics could be better. Ok. And I could be taller. You could be richer. Zoe could be stronger. Mepps could be heavier.

"Could be"s are absolutely useless for game developers.
    • Like x 7
  15. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

Investment into product development would be absolutely valuable. Just look at how Square Enix invested int Final Fantasy XIV. They now have over 23 million paying active subscribers. Never underestimate investing or re-investing in product development.
    • Like x 4
  16. Empress_Orana Well-Known Player

You’re not real familiar with how business works are you? Better product better revenue. It absolutely matters to game developers. Your argument was just a string of nonsensical gibberish dude.
    • Like x 1
  17. FluffyCloud99 Well-Known Player

Black Desert Online. Perfect Example. Huge MMO PVP game. Amazing Graphics
    • Like x 2
  18. BumblingB I got better.

Hmmm... I tried playing Black Desert Online. Leaguemate gave me a temp key and... it was triggering my migraines and motion sickness. So I couldn't play it. So I don't know, but from I remember, it wasn't much different than Tera in visual quality, but of course this was years ago. They may have improved. I know FF14 improved a bit too. If I compared DCUO to FF14, I'd say FF14 was better graphics wise.

But in the end, an MMO is still an MMO and needs to be optimized for online play. They can't do all those single player graphics because it would put too much of a load on their networks as well as varying results between player machines/internet access.
    • Like x 2
  19. FluffyCloud99 Well-Known Player

Can turn off motion blur and such through settings but it is very graphically good. Just personally dont see DCUO becoming like this lol.
    Imo, Dcuo dont need new graphics. Though i do agree with someone earlier, maybe better animations, power details, Ui improvements and the sort would be very welcomed. Unfortuantely its a console MMO so those on pc/playstation 5s will be hurt with over performance x)

EDIT: I dont intend to sound like DCUO NEEDS to look like this, i get that people would like it to look like this. Imo, DCUO looks great as it is, the mix of a cartoony/Comic style is great. It just could have better animations and such. I think the main arguement could be brought down to lighting imo, everywhere is the same brightness in the game mostly. if there was dynamic lighting in the game like a gloomy batcave that lights up when your powers are used down the corridors, then yes, amazing addition and makes the game look 10000% better

Below is a BDO Graphics example. Photo edited in game with Field of view, depth of field blur and a light filter[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  20. willflynne 10000 Post Club

And the Switch would be able to handle that SO well. LOL And mind you, this is coming from someone who could very easily be described as a Nintendo fanboy at times. :D But the Switch is not that kind of graphics workhorse.

That's something we always have to keep in mind, the lowest power platform. We all get the same graphical experience, regardless of the platform we play on. They don't play favorites, otherwise PC would have had the best graphics available from the very start.

If the Switch can't handle a graphics update, then the chances of that update going through are dramatically lowered at the very least.
    • Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.