Reducing waiting time in armories will break the game?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by GermanM, Nov 7, 2022.

1. GermanM Committed Player

Well, that is, if they remove the cooldown from armories and allow us to change between those every... let´s say, 5 or 10 seconds would break the game or could be a good thing?

I dont see a problem in that, but i wanna know your opinion.

(Im talking when we are in combat)
    • Like x 2
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Remove or reduce the time for out of combat switches would be fine I think. Only for in combat I think the timer would remain.
  3. IzzyLizzard dcuo Level 30

• Like x 1
  4. Bruce’s Slippers Active Player

who cares about armory cool downs. GET RID OF THE GOD D^MN POST COMBAT BATTLE STANCE FOR CHRIST SAKE. It’s utterly pointless, and no explaination will ever justify it.
    • Like x 5
  5. Hraesvelg Always Right

It isn't a bug. In combat switching has a long timer. It makes sure that switching is something you REALLY want to commit to.

Can you imagine the sweaty switching that would be going on if the armories were shorter? "I'm a healer, now I'm a single target DPS, now I'm back to a healer!"

Or using armories to switch artifacts...good lord. An entire raid smokebombing every ten seconds...LOL
    • Like x 5
  6. IzzyLizzard dcuo Level 30

This right here!!
    • Like x 1
  7. IzzyLizzard dcuo Level 30

It wouldn’t matter, the game would keep going with this in mind, no point in limiting us when there are so many options.
  8. JasonIsley Devoted Player

thats how its intended to prevent you from switching constantly between dps and support while in combat. you can not switch between roles through the normal method at all while in combat so the armory method let's you do it once every few minutes.
    • Like x 1
  9. IzzyLizzard dcuo Level 30

No need for that anymore. I believe the whole no switching in combat was really for pvp, and the game was so small back then. I say “OPEN IT UP”
    • Like x 1
  10. JasonIsley Devoted Player

it would be abused in pve too if support kept switching to dps and making boss fights easier.
  11. BumblingB I got better.

It used to be longer. Same with the orbitals and supply drops. Oh and the warp to feature of the map. Those timers were really long.

I don't have an issue with it having a timer, it does make a player think when doing a swap, but I do think it should be maybe 2-3 minutes and you can swap again. It would allow things like 2 tanking be more dynamic. One boss is dead, that tank goes dps to help. It can somewhat be done now, but a shorter time would help. I do no think it needs to be no delay, as that is just silly and it might break the game.
    • Like x 5
  12. IzzyLizzard dcuo Level 30

Eliminating the combat and armory switch timers would make the whole game better! 2 tank dynamics is just the beginning, switching to heal when a healer goes down just to switch back to dps when the other healer gets up. Trolls that can go from buff arts to power arts when needed. Dude, so many options, this limitation is more of an annoyance now
    • Like x 2
  13. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

I don't think the timer is so much to stop it being abused so much as just... if everyone in the instance was constantly switching back and forth between roles and "jobs" it would just get really confusing and messy and chaotic real quick, especially in raids with so many people. It would be a lot harder to manage group dynamic and divide jobs/roles if every few seconds everyone kept suddenly changing what they were doing and contributing. It would just make coordination a lot harder and more hectic. Plus that smoke bomb animation, as Hraesvelg says, would get really annoying if you had to deal with 7 groupmates all doing it constantly. So I think it's less to stifle us or keep us from abusing a feature and more just to maintain some order and structure. I'm not even saying whether the timer is or isn't too long or anything, just that I can understand having one so things don't get too hectic, chaotic, and impossible to keep track of. In a lot of content, being able to know who's the healer and who's the tank and so on at any given point can be crucial. If that's changing every few seconds, strategy gets a whole lot harder and messier. I'm not a dev, though, so this is all just assumption. So take it with a massive grain of salt.

Too much switching may also just be a lot for the game itself to handle, as well.
  14. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

The point is - everyone switching styles and animations every few seconds would cause enormous lag. This is an old game, with an even older engine - it already nearly craps out, during the post-reset open world bounty rush.

Plus - there need to be limits on how fast DPS can possibly be, otherwise it will be impossible to balance the game, so that both least and most geared and skilled players can complete and enjoy content.
    • Like x 3
  15. VariableFire Loyal Player

And yet, tac-swapping is perfectly acceptable...
    • Like x 2
  16. Bruce’s Slippers Active Player

I hate that people can do this
    • Like x 3
  17. xenothelm Active Player

The game is designed around people committing to roles. The flexibility is in how you prepare for the raid, then how well you execute that preparation.

How efficiently you switch roles mid-fight to get the most efficient abilities out the most amount of time is just a different combat system entirely, and I would hate it. Play Guild Wars 2 if you wanna be able to do everything.
    • Like x 2
  18. Illumin411 Loyal Player

The limits are a big part of the strategy element in the game. The ability to switch armories willy nilly would be cheesy af.
    • Like x 1
  19. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Armories have the in-combat timer they do for both design and performance reasons.
    • Like x 6
  20. Plowed In Loyal Player

Maybe an upcoming Ally could have an increased speed of in-combat armory changes as a passive? …maybe too niche or worthless…