Account cash needs a solution

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by tukuan, Oct 19, 2022.

1. tukuan Devoted Player

For the love of all that's holy can we please get a practical solution for account based money.

Like most I move goods to my various alts and sell them from those toons instead of constantly moving them back to my main to sell. Right now I've around 2B in funds on alts that I'd like to pass to my main.

In the past I did this with my brother but he's since let his account lapse so now I can't trade money with him. I shouldn't have to track down someone in game that a) I trust and b) will sit around while I switch between a dozen or so accounts so I can consolidate my funds.

When the ability to transfer by mail was killed, my understanding was that it was in response to an exploit. It's been at least a couple of years, so isn't it time to either decide if that is an ongoing vulnerability or if it has been reasonably plugged? If the former then can steps be taken to either transfer funds through another mechanic such as the shared bank or better yet just have a shared wallet across the account?

EDIT: I'm aware that some use a meaningless item on the broker as a means to transfer funds, but again I don't think that a reasonable solution is to have to pay a commission to transfer funds.
    • Like x 15
  2. Eve YouTuber

Agreed. There has to be a workaround or something they can do. Shared Wallet is probably the best idea
    • Like x 9
  3. Boss Dark Side Well-Known Player

So bizarre to me that we don't have the ability to put cash into a shared bank. Two other games I play have that ability.
    • Like x 2
  4. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

It's a pain, sure. But I'd rather deal with that, than infinite money exploits. And considering how glitchy mail UI is, I'm guessing, that they would have to overhaul the whole thing, in order to prevent future exploits.

You can use broker, if you really need all your money on your main and don't mind paying 5% broker fee. What I do is whenever one of my alts/mules accumulates enough cash, I put up something rare on broker at a highly inflated price, then buy it with my alt after a day or 2, unless it sells, in which case - score! I'm pretty sure many people do that, because some of those asking prices for easily obtainable items can't be explained otherwise.
  5. tukuan Devoted Player

You don't mind paying the broker fee, I do. More to the point, I shouldn't need to use a metaphorical butter knife as a screwdriver for something as fundamental as managing my in game finances. I should get the right tool for the job.

I get that mail is prone to exploits which is why I suggested they look at an alternative. If anything a shared wallet and/or transferring via the shared bank would likely be less prone to exploits and definitely easier to identify offenders.
    • Like x 4
  6. Ergotth Committed Player

I agree on the shared wallet. Wakfu is a game with multi-character systtem and currently the cash is completely account-united.
    • Like x 2
  7. BumblingB I got better.

I am confused why we can't have an account wide currency active. In the past, the reason would be because of Premium and F2P, but recently Premium was uncapped and F2P has a large cap. So there really shouldn't be an excuse to need to keep them separate now.
    • Like x 6
  8. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

On numerous occasions, I've pointed out that the only other MMORPG I play, Star Wars: The Old Republic, allows money transfer between your characters using the Shared Bank. If Bioware could do that on a game that began in 2011 the same as DCUO, then DCUO can do it, too! It really is the best solution at this point.
    • Like x 2
  9. Cordelia Well-Known Player

I'm completely on board for a shared wallet. The current situation is hair-pullingly frustrating.
    • Like x 5
  10. Amoxin Well-Known Player

I think every MMO I've played has had a shared bank and/or the ability to send by mail. Also, I can't think of any online game I've played that has as many duping glitches as this one has outside of maybe D3 (technically not an MMO and doesn't have an economy anymore).
    • Like x 3
  11. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

But how does this prevent exploits? It helps slow it down, sure, but the last one had nothing to do with mail. The next one might not either. If the next one consists of doing a sequences of dances, then going into the 'sleep' emoji for 10 min and boop...you get 10B, what is keeping someone from doing hand to hand trades and using the same method of 'list junk....buy junk' in the broker to move the bad money around? Again...it slows things down for sure....but prevents them? Nah.

However, I do use the same method of trying to list a valuable item vs a 100m soder. I think I've even sold 1 or 2 NOT to myself...so bonus! But yeah, that's even gotten a bit more sticky, on console at least, since the last update. Now instead of 'Very Long' to 'Very short'....we get a series of Q-bert talk and the symbol for Boron as our 'time' listed. Granted, you can keep your own log for 72 hours, but yeah....almost more work than it's worth.

Cash slot in the bank. Use the existing 'trade' function to 'trade' to your bank slot in or out to prevent trying to exploit things with it. Lock it down to members to add the value they lost with mailing cash. Done.
    • Like x 1
  12. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

I don't know how any of those money exploits worked, but I don't think the devs would have restricted cash transfers through mail if it wasn't at risk of being exploited, or if it was easy to prevent that in the future. The fewer potential avenues for exploits, the fewer actual exploits happen.

You don't have to just post soders for 100m. If you have some valuable items, like auras, materials or even stacks of exo, catalysts or alliances, you can be more bold with your asking prices, knowing that if you've overvalued your goods - at least you get a money transfer. Good way to test the market if you're not sure what something is realistically worth.

Yeah, cash slot in the bank should have been there from the beginning. And I'd be happy if there was some easy cash transfer system between toons, but I can't say it would be a priority for me. Almost everything I use cash for is tradeable, so I just use my mules to buy stuff on broker and I don't make many extravagant purchases, for which I might need most of my money at once. Plus - I figure, that if another exploit happens and there's some sort of cash wipe, I'll be better off with several smaller amounts, rather than 1 huge one.
  13. nawanda Loyal Player

I play another MMO where players can contract items and cash to each other. The receiving player either accepts or declines the contract. So for example in DCUO I could contract a scorching aura to another player and in the contract state that I will receive 100m or whatever. If the other place declines the contract, that’s the end of it. In the meantime the scorching aura goes into a holding place. I can cancel the contract if I change my mind before the other player has reviewed it. Or there are public or league contracts open to anyone in that group to accept, with an expiry time. The cost to set up a contract is nominal and there are limits on how many active contracts a character can have.

None of this is rocket science and it would solve every single gripe relating to currency movement and broker and trade restrictions.
    • Like x 3
  14. Ozman Well-Known Player

We literally have a shared bank system, yet cash is one of the few things we can't put in it.
    • Like x 2
  15. Gundraasi Well-Known Player

Backing up shared cash accountwide. Yep! :)

Cheers
    • Like x 3
  16. Plowed In Loyal Player

What server you on? Hit me up in game, I’ve played too long to screw anyone over and lose my account :)
    • Like x 1
  17. LeagueOfV Dedicated Player

We already have shared quarks and ally favor. Seems like they can put cash in that same bucket?
    • Like x 5
  18. Dene Devoted Player

Shared wallet has been a thing suggested since like 2012 :(
    • Like x 3
  19. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

It seems so, but I'm guessing that because cash system has been in the game since the beginning and is involved in pretty much everything - it may be difficult to change how it works, without breaking things in the process. Quarks and Ally favor are relatively new, their use is limited and were shared from the start. I think they would have to completely replace current cash with a new account-wide cash and I can't see that going down well.
    • Like x 1
  20. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

Have to point out that when they shut down the ability to move cash by mail (removing a membership benefit, btw), they said it was a temporary fix to stop money glitches, and a new system would be implemented soon. Still waiting.

I use the broker to move cash, like many others, but it's less convenient than just sending the cash direct to another character on the same account.
    • Like x 2