What’s going on with the bans?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by nawanda, Oct 16, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I do feel sympathetic to anyone that may have purchased this with any not knowing and got banned. Without any real way to discern who knew the item was glitched and who didn't, I would have done the same thing and given everyone a few weeks off with a warning.
    • Like x 3
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

3. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

4. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I actually sell an item at my job that costs exactly $3.00 but it automatically comes up as $6.00 and we have to manually change it each time someone orders it. Don't know why, don't know how.
  5. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

But bugs exist without any direct interference. No one programmed the bugs into the game. No one said "hey, let's make this not work correctly anymore" and then proceed to make a code for it.
  6. Cyclonic Dedicated Player

That would be the right thing to do, but money doesn't care about the right thing. I'm sure that there's a long line of people being punished for this mistake. All the way to the players themselves. Action was taken and they did their jobs. All that matters.

At this point... they're just trying to scare the players into not exploiting their mistakes. Every other raid released has always had some game-breaking automatic victory so we know that they just can't correct themselves. They have to change us, instead.
    • Like x 1
  7. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

That is where Quality Control comes into play. If I, as part of my job, call the wrong art assets in the Java script I am writing, and it goes to out nationwide, AND it turns out to be wrong, then it adversely affects our client causing big problems for them and my company, and me personally. That is why we check and double check everything, and then have the client to double check it.

Mistakes happen. Programming errors happen. Bugs are created because of programming errors. How much time would it have taken for whoever were the devs involved to just double checked behind themselves and / or tested the Market Place to verify everything was correct?

Learning experience here. A costly one, but a learning experience regardless.
    • Like x 1
  8. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

Last time I was there, they didn't have any napkins. I had to literally take paper towels from the bathroom. ( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • Like x 1
  9. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

YIKES!
    • Like x 1
  10. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Silence is usually what happens with bans and/or corrective actions taken by the devs. Chances are good that they'll make their decisions and, most likely, the only people that will know for sure are the devs and the players involved.

If past patterns hold, though? Those who do get stronger actions taken (permanent bans) are very likely to take to the forums under new accounts and start decrying how unfair and unjust their punishments were, thereby outing themselves in the process. :rolleyes:

Which will be followed by many conversations like the ones above/earlier in the thread, not to mention equal parts of trying to excuse the actions taken by those punished and a serious lack of sympathy towards those individuals.
    • Like x 2
  11. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

They're hiring for a QA Tester, maybe you should apply. https://www.dimensionalink.com/careers
    • Like x 1
  12. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

Maybe I should. It couldn't be anymore of a toxic work environment than the one I am currently in.
  13. Trykz Dedicated Player

I see them treating this like every other ban, every one is suspended till it’s sorted out, first time offenders who also didn’t abuse are immediately let go, then comes the ones who might of been abusing, but are also first time offenders, and finally the ones who were abusing and have a history of participating in glitches will be perma banned.
    • Like x 4
  14. nawanda Loyal Player

Exactly. You were being a bit cheeky. You half expected to get turned away. But I bet you didn’t expect to be marched out of the shop and told not to come back. And even if you had been, there would have been more communication provided to you in that situation than DI has provided to the people caught up in this.
  15. Spider Jerusalem Well-Known Player

Yep, damage already done.

However, it certainly looks like some people are trying to deflect attention away from their own incompetence by accusing other of behaving badly.

This glitch is vastly different from past glitches. The way they've handled it is gross.
  16. Retire Well-Known Player

These are indefinite suspensions. No one has been banned yet. This is likely most peoples first strikes and they should be fine. This is definitely something devs should address though
  17. Retire Well-Known Player

Hope this is the case for all players. Population is incredibly low. Seems like half the player base is gone
    • Like x 1
  18. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

There are glitches, and then there are errors. A glitch is what Mr. Barcode does when he speed hacks raid. A glitch is 7 toons standing and facing a wall while waiting for the boss in Inner Batcave. This was an error. Was it an intern making a mistake? Was it an errant decimal? Did the studio's cat run across a keyboard looking for tender vittles? I don't know, nor do I care. They made a mistake and people benefited from it. Did some people go a little overboard, absolutely.

The point is, I'm not sure punishment is the right step. They didn't break anything, they didn't do anything mischievous other than go into the online store. Here's where we get into the difference between unethical, and immoral. If they had found that say, logging onto the store at exactly the daily reset the $1 price would be up for 2 minutes, that would certainly be unethical assuming it wasn't a coincidence. Seeing the price and knowing it's incorrect and still buying the item is immoral. Unethical behaviour is deliberate, and should be punished, immoral behaviour is a measure of character and certainly shouldn't be punished.

The developers seem to be conflating the two and swinging a very large unjust hammer.
    • Like x 2
  19. Wallachia Devoted Player

Indefinite suspensions = bans.
    Temporary bans = Suspensions.

The terminology is just fixed to be easier to understand, but, in reality, it should go like this:

Suspension = Temp ban.
    Restriction = Ban from one service of the company but unaltered access to everything else
    Ban = Blanket ban, i.e. user gets forbidden from using anything from that company. In our case it would be permaban from forums, game, DCUO's steam discussion, everything.

I know, nobody cares.

About sorting out the situation, it's easy, but it's challenging. What they must do to maximize efficiency is to analyze each and every case, as following:

1. Whoever triggered the bug only once can be clearly listed as unaware of the bug and walk away free.
    2. Whoever triggered the bug more than once then stopped suddenly shortly after can be considered on the fence.
    3. Whoever triggered the bug frantically, even if just for a while until certain conditions were met, can be considered undeniably guilty and, as such, Restricted/banned from the game.

How to clear 2 and 3 up? Check user's game chat history. All of it. All.

ANY signs of people being told about the bug then proceeding to triggering it frantically or simply a little bit, can be labelled as exploiting it. Whoever was informed of it and triggered it only once should at most be only warned, as they could simply be checking the information to find out if it's true or false.

There are cases where this will remain unclear. For the sake of fairness, those people should be allowed to return to the game after a suspension and a message from the GM (Mepps?) informing them not to do that anymore, unless they fall into case 1, where they should be cleared off with a compensation, or case number 3, which would elucidate them as exploiters.

Why is this unlikely to be done? Well, imagine that this happened to 800 users flat. This means that 800 accounts would need to be investigated. If I did that, in 8 hours per day I would be able to investigte 5 to 10 accounts, let's make it 5. I, alone, would require 16 days to investigate everything. Working from mondays to fridays, I would need 3 weeks on my own to investigate everything. Only on the 4th elapsed week would I be able to inform the other employees so action could be taken. Mathematically, they would need 3 people to do NOTHING but this investigation to reduce this to 2 weeks. Considering how this game rewards daily logins, this would make many players lose one entire month worth of rewards, for those who would get cleared up fully.

Can this be done? Yes. Can this be done with DI's current situation? Unlikely. Would I do that on my own if they allowed me? Only if they paid me well, because my doctorate dissertation isn't going to research itself

...I wish my dissertation would research itself.

Sometimes I want to cry.
    • Like x 2
  20. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Thats where I'd look to draw a line. If someone bought 5 or 6 packs, getting 75 or 90 stabilizers and have none, they obviously knew there was a chance they were going to get 'caught' and wanted to cash in as fast as they could, or to hide the evidence. I someone bought 10, but still has 140 of the 150 stablizers, I'd say it was more of an honest mistake, or something they thought "should I"...then realized it was not going to end well and stopped.

If someone bought 100+...yeah, sorry, you catch a ban unless you have 1500 stabilizers and 10,000 source to pull back. I'd guess many of those level buyers AREN'T sitting on many of the stabilizers...cause they knew that hammer was going to come swinging maybe.

I do think that even if the purchases were egregious like 100+, if you have the means of paying it back (meaning you still have the contents unspent/unused), they should roll back the purchase and potentially let you go. Granted, you did it knowing you could get banned, but at that point no damage done.
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.