Sitting on nearly 7k fate tokens

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by DoctorP2, Aug 29, 2022.

1. DoctorP2 Well-Known Player

Been playing the game for nearly 10 years now and have managed to accumulate all the old drops, items, and styles from the vault during that time. I’ve got stacks of catalysts and enhancers and all the style pieces and other items Dr. Fate has for sale for fate tokens (and have since he first appeared in the House of Legends). So…are longtime players likely to get anything worth spending these tokens on? Or should we just look forward to rolling around in them, throwing them in the air and letting them hit us on the head like a poor man’s Scrooge McDuck?
    • Like x 6
  2. Hraesvelg Always Right

I buy stabilizers/nth detectors weekly. Several recent events have had items associated with it on there, as well. There ARE things to spend them on, maybe just not presently something YOU want to spend them on.

I've been here since beta, just to cut off any "I've been here longer" critiques of my post.
    • Like x 6
  3. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

You can buy that weekly stabilizer and 5 nth metal detectors.
    • Like x 1
  4. Batman Beyond Well-Known Player

If they ever let us convert a bunch of Fate Tokens into a single Destiny Token it would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise the weekly Stabilizer and metal detectors are pretty much it.
    • Like x 3
  5. nawanda Loyal Player

I would have agreed with the OP a year ago, but to be fair, they listened to the feedback about Fate tokens being redundant and made some really good changes to that vendor in recent months.
  6. happy customer New Player

Since you have bin playing for 10 years , yes i think you deserve rolling around in them
  7. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Stabilizers...as everyone else said. I don't really use Nth Detectors all that much, but yeah...those too. Bank/Broker/Repair bots would be something else if you burn through those often enough.
  8. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

Nth Metal Detectors sell on the broker for a good change
  9. VIRALITY Dedicated Player

Yeah, but the ones from Dr. Fate are account bound I believe
  10. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

You can sell/trade the caches that drop from using them.
    • Like x 3
  11. VIRALITY Dedicated Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  12. DoctorP2 Well-Known Player

Points taken about the Nth metal detectors and stabilizers, but TBH, I don't use the detectors much (my choice, I know) and can only buy 1 stabilizer/week. I do like the idea of being able to convert X number of Fate tokens into a Destiny token; seems like an easy thing to add to the game, but there might be more of a impact in doing so than I'm aware of.
  13. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Seems like they could calculate the Fate tokens a member would receive in 1 year, then set that number = 1 destiny token. A free player would be about 2 years I think..maybe 3. Seems like a low risk for DI (1 extra $5 token a year for members) but would give you something to build to eventually. If they were feeling generous, make it cost how many fates a member would get in 6 months for +2 a year.

Doesn't seem like an insane request to me. Even though I wouldn't use it personally. I'm on premium now, so I get 35 fates a week and spend 50. I've got about 4000 built up, so enough to get 1 stabilizer every week still for about 266 weeks...or 5 years. I'm probably ok with that.
  14. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Converting Fate into Destiny tokens was suggested a while ago and quickly shot down.
    • Like x 1
  15. VIRALITY Dedicated Player

I've noticed that a lot of good ideas get shot down, and the bad ideas are the ones that get implemented lately.
    • Like x 1
  16. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Bad ideas in your opinion.

The addiction of detectors and stabilizers to the fate vendor was a bad idea? The addition of the fate vendor in general and the selling of seals in game was a bad idea? The addition of event weeks was a bad idea? What about being able to unlock feats for replays? What about the standardization of marks and simplification to source marks and 3 dlc marks instead of the many dlc currencies we had before?
  17. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Well, as he said 'lately' and the last 4 things you mention have been around for years (I'm surprised you didn't mention armories or the ability to wear a cape), I'd guess he was referring to the removal of marks from some runs, removal of gear from OW bosses/missions or ...well you know that OTHER one added in the last year...or maybe year +5 days. Or the TERRIBLE implementation of the on duty menu we've had for about a year now.

Personally I think the fate vendor is fine...I like the seals(lobbied for in game seals a LOT) in there and will continue to keep buying stabilizers with the fate tokens, HOWEVER, I don't think having a fate-destiny converter...at a very high rate of fate tokens...is much of an ask either.
    • Like x 4
  18. Capt. Retro Well-Known Player

I don't personally think they will implement this any time soon but to play devil's advocate here, why does the conversion rate need to be a mysteriously arbitrary number? The value of Fate Tokens were built in at the inception of the daily reward system. They awarded them a 0.02$ monetary value each, which they assessed while breaking down the value we get for our subscription per month. To further emphasize that this is a current and ongoing rate, they correctly added the stabilizer (approx 1$ usd) for 50 fate tokens on the vendor (1$ @ the 0.02 rate)

That being said, to me it is logical that any type of Destiny to Fate token converter should be upheld at the economic rate THEY have set when pitching the value add we get for the money we spend per month on a sub.

For sake of argument, I'll entertain the line of thinking of, "well so many people have thousands now and they would get flooded with week 1 conversions" .... this situation was only brought about by the 1 year + of having little to nothing to spend on which created an artificial inflation due to the fact we basically had few meaningful outlets in order to cash in our '0.02 each' of value we pay for via the subscription. This fact alone should not be enough of a basis to simply write off value because we spent that entire year + as paying members under the assumption we were getting x value as put forward by the devs for our subscriptions.

That is the "dc economy as currently constructed" angle of things.

To address the OPs specific situation, let's say you have 7000 fate tokens and you can convert at the established 0.02$ per token rate. Firstly, for context, ~ 7000+ Fate Tokens is logging in almost every single day since the system was implemented, so before anyone rushes to say anything, just understand that IT'S OK to reward people who literally log in every single day of the year....now, that being said...

In this example, the 7000 fate tokens converted at the DC established rate of 0.02$ per token gives you 140$ of value. If we look at the other rates, (Seals of Completion = destiny token = ~5$ usd), then we can reasonably say that with this type of conversion, the player in question could cash 28 destiny tokens in. (Using the entire year's Fate Tokens) All things being equal within the established economy, this would be the conversion.

Any type of "worry" on the company's part in allowing us to "cash in" these types of hauls is of their own creation for basically rendering part of our value add (fate tokens) nearly useless for most of the year. To further play devil's advocate on this point, even halfed at 0.01 per fate token would still probably generate demand for players converting at 500 FTs per 1 destiny token. (Under this hypothetical, this gives OP 14 tokens total for their entire year's Fate Tokens)

All in all, there is a $ economy already established in the game and my ultimate point is that IF (big if) any type of conversion is added to Dr.Fate, the actual economics of the current numbers at play, already in the game, should not be overlooked or forgotten and absolutely should factored in. Established economies that center around paying customer's 'value adds' (subscriptions) should not be a sliding scale to adjust for miscellaneous reasons.
    • Like x 2
  19. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I wasn't picking an arbitrary number. I was looking at it from the aspect of how many Destiny tokens would they want us to have each year. Right now, if you got all you could in a year (not counting some random bonus we can't account for), Members get 48, Premiums get 12. Realistically 1 or 2 extra a year doesn't seem like a lot to give away to a member....maybe 1 for a premium...that's why I suggested the amount that could be acquired in 6 months or so. If they were comfortable with an extra few every year, maybe 3 or 4 months worth at the member rate.

Remember, they have to assume everyone will go after the most adventagous buy, assuming it's there. They obviously looked at this when putting stabilizers and Ally Favor in the vendor, so they are comfortable losing those sales...they might not be as comfortable losing 2,4 or 8 more destiny's worth of sales though.

I know personally if a Fate to Destiny were added, I'd stop buying the stabilizers and start saving for destiny tokens instead....but then again I'd never BUY a stabilizer for cash but would buy a seal if I had a need.
  20. VIRALITY Dedicated Player

[IMG]

This guy...bringing up things that have been in the game for years, when I said 'lately'

Yes, recent bad ideas in my opinion, along with many others.

• Proxy suggested keeping Save the Universe a little longer, so that we have more content to run until the new event happens - shot down.
    • FOS 3 and DD source mark reduction - bad idea/band aid - if a raid timing vs source mark balance pass needed to happen, it should've been done across the board.
    • Multiple threads of people sitting on thousands of useless Fate Tokens - converting to Destiny Tokens (where the actual value lies) would be sensible, but got shot down. Stabilizers and Nth Metal Detectors added to Fate vendor - great idea, bad implementation, 1 and 5 per week isn't very much.
    • Stat clamping - I personally think this was a bad idea, and yes, I know there are some who like it, but many don't; I've personally only seen it affect the game negatively. Harder for new players to get feats, veteran players nerfed into oblivion, elite raids are a slog, unfinished raids, I could go on and on. Like I said, some people like it for whatever reason, this is just imho.
    • Survival mode - was completed fully by multiple groups on day 1 - there have been multiple suggestions to add more rounds, or do limitless rounds, but there is such a prevalent cheater problem of barcode names running amok, I don't even think it's possible. Multiple threads regarding cheaters - with no current resolution, unlikely to be resolved before SM ends.
    • With the recent inflation of in-game currency - total scams running amok. It's been suggested multiple times to either increase the broker cap or the trade cap, but I don't recall hearing any word on that. I have a premium box from the booster bundle that I could sell, but there is currently not any way of selling it at value without running a full-blown background check and crossing my fingers, hoping that I don't get scammed.
    • DCUO Census hasn't worked in months - no word on that.

There have been a handful of 10+ page threads regarding things that players have shown dissatisfaction to the ideas and implementation from the devs. There are also quite a few threads with great ideas, lots of upvotes, but fall on deaf ears.

That's not to say the devs don't implement good ideas, because they have, and do. One of the big ones recently was the memory leak/crashing problem - that was a huge fix, and I know many are grateful for it. But it seems like some of the other decisions lately have been bad - like it's more important to stop players from getting too many source marks from FOS 3, or leveling up their alts in Gotham Wastelands, than it is to fix issues that have been around for quite a while. My post was a little melodramatic because of the controversial threads that have popped up in the last few months.
    • Like x 1