Devs, is there a plan so that we don't have to re-explore the same artifacts x times for our rerolls

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Tolly, Aug 8, 2022.

1. Toshknight Loyal Player

its what a mmo is. they already give to many shortcuts for alts imo
    • Like x 1
  2. Tolly Committed Player

I'm not saying otherwise, but they still don't give enough where now it has become the most important thing ;)
  3. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

You clearly don’t know much about what you’re talking about.. why do they do double exp week? Because people buy nth metal during double nth week. Why do they make the game ftp? Because this opens the game up to more people to potentially increase number of people spend money.

Every company has a “worry” to make money. It’s a business not a charity. When a business becomes unprofitable than they close down. It’s not rocket science.

And no I don’t always defend the devs. I just don’t complain about every little thing. It’s not about going against them or defending them. It’s about having a brain and thinking things clearly. Guess what. I was banned for a week from the forums for talking negatively about the wonderverse dlc. And guess what, my complaints were right and they turned away from what I complained about. Before that I was banned for complaining about AMs. Guess what. They removed that too. I don’t complain about things that I don’t understand. I understand that this is a business and making request that will obviously never come true because of the magnitude of request means you have to see why it wouldn’t be accepted.

Again, I never said I’m against making things more alt friendly. If you actually read my responses you’d know it. If you want to make a request than try to pitch it in a way that a company would accept it.
  4. Dominic Blue Dedicated Player

Yeah I agree with the sentiments of the Devs need to do more with Artifacts and Allies for alts. It just sucks the enthusiasm to go from your mains to alts when you realize all that hard work doesn't make the game feel any better on other characters.
    • Like x 1
  5. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

Personal opinion, I think what we’re really discussing in here is how do you want to play your alts. For some, they want their alts to be the same level as their mains. Then there’s the exact opposite for some where they want to play and level them up by starting fresh and replaying the game from the beginning. Then there’s types that only want them to farm seasonals and everything in between. OP is probably the 1st type, they want to be able to run the same content at the same level as their main. Deity has alts all over the spectrum and enjoys them for what they are. If you’re dead set on having alts as strong as your main, you’ve chosen the hardest to accomplish task. And that’s either very expensive or very time consuming and really just a combination of both those things.

Asking for things is great and normal. But Deity isn’t wrong in saying that it’s most likely not a possibility since it would cause less income. The game is here to generate money. They let it go ftp. They gave out all episodes. They give everyone daily rewards. They removed loot locks on most content. They added things to fate vendor and elsewhere. They are clearly trying to be giving. But human nature being what it is, we want more. I’ve said it before, any idea needs to either be monetized or have a way to make it generate some income. They do double nth and we love it. It probably actually generates more money than non double weeks where anything artifact related is concerned. Because the player base buys seals and nth metal. Which can now also be bought for free after saving up even if you’re not a member.

So monetize what you’re asking for. In this case, shared artifacts across all toons. So maybe you only have 1 alt. Others may have 15. Put a price on what it’s worth to you to be able to share them. It costs like $250 to just buy one straight to rank 200 right? I haven’t done it in awhile but I think it’s around there. So is $50 a toon fair? $25? I’m sure the person with 15 alts would like it to be $5 while the person with one thinks $50 is fine. Maybe just set it up that it’s a membership perk and see if that increases revenue enough? I don’t think it would but maybe. I’d think anyone would pay $15 a month to have at least 3 toons be able to share. Make a new package that the more you pay, the more toons have access to your inventory?
    • Like x 2
  6. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

^This. All of this.
    • Like x 1
  7. Irvynnge Loyal Player

it's only a problem if you need to have all your alts maxed out. & if you need to have all your alts maxed out, that's a You issue, not a DCUO Problem. no one needs maxed arts in this game. not even for their main. my main has 2 x 180s & a 190-ish, & there is no content in the game that I can't run. except probably some elite. as someone else rightly points out earlier in the thread, you know before you roll the alt what rolling an alt entails. you make the choice to level up that alt in the full knowledge of what it's going to cost you in-game. if you're not willing to pay that price, don't roll an alt.
    • Like x 1
  8. Tolly Committed Player

To generate income you have to start by keeping players on the game, the more it goes the more people stop playing DC...
    • Like x 1
  9. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

Agreed. But they also can’t make it so it doesn’t generate any either. We aren’t privy to all the info so it’s hard to say. If the game doesn’t generate income then the game goes away or at least into a full maintenance mode scenario with no new content ever again. They could be very close to not profitable as is. I know they have multiple games on multiple consoles so possibly as a whole they do well but individually, maybe not so much. Judging by all the changes over the last 2 years, most of which have seemed to be generally good for the community, they’re trying to find a good balance. Ally addition to the game is clearly an attempt to generate revenue. As are bbs and tcs. In addition to artifacts. But you literally do not need any to just leisurely play the game.

The only way I can relate to real life is with personal experience. I own a building. I own an automotive shop. And I used to own a towing company. All operated out of the owned building. I rent some of that building out to other shops. All 3 combined were a great source of income. But when I looked into everything much closer, I figured out that one was generating, one was losing, and one was basically stagnant. Had to make life altering changes (for both myself and employees) to be able to make it all work out in my favor. That’s just business. Of course all my customers want more free anything. But that takes out of my pocket which in turn takes out of my employees pockets. But it got close to the point of shutting down would cost me the least vs giving away so much and trying to stay afloat while slowly losing money. At some point if the game gives away too much, they’ll have the same decisions to make. We all obviously love the game which is why players like Deity and myself speak up as to why it can’t just be “gimme gimme gimme” all the time. We aren’t against changes for the better or anything so I hope you aren’t taking it that way.
    • Like x 1
  10. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Except that the devs have done a lot to make the game more player friendly and have done a lot for the community that people ignore.

Bonus weeks used to be bonus weekends and they used to be from time to time instead of every week. Covid hit and the devs changed it to bonus weeks every week. And now a lot of players cry when they don’t like a bonus they give or if they don’t benefit from it directly.

Feats could not be unlocked before. Players asked for a way to be able to unlock feats and the devs allowed players to unlock for replays. Now people complain that you have to use replays to unlock sp.

People used to complain that you needed to spend to level up arts and now they added many ways to get arts maxed without spending a penny and people still complain.

Some people think I’m absolutes. “If they don’t give me EVERYTHING I want than they don’t care”. That’s not how the world works. That’s not how games work. That’s not how anything works. It’s funny seeing people complain about how bad the game has become. I would cry laughing if they changed everything back to how it used to be and people had to do things they hate lol. People ride on nostalgia more than using their heads lol
  11. MaryMagdalene_DCUO Well-Known Player

Why would the devs make it easier for alts to get artifacts?
    Based on the actions they take when people find and participate in lucrative farming strategies of which some of you support the devs in nerfing said methods, you actually think they would give the greenlight in easing things up for alts? No way they will risk losing money.
    • Like x 1
  12. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Your bitterness is showing
  13. Dominic Blue Dedicated Player

Yeah I mean if they don't want us to get that much Source Marks quickly they definitely don't want us to get Nth metal or Ally favor for free either I'd imagine.
    • Like x 1
  14. Dene Devoted Player

Changing powers used to mean just adjust SP and go - Another one is same power but going to prec or might - I am a weird mix of prec and pets right now - I wanted to try it.. did all the arts etc and all that comes with going prec - but now I can't properly just go might with the best artifacts etc unless i go through everything again.

Agreed.. I cannot remember a time in this game where Alts were vible as equals to a peron's main.. I just don't think they ever were intended to be

I understand both sides, i genuinely do, but I only have had a main for a long while for this reason.. I looked at the game as a whole, my time, money etc etc and thought "I can't sustain this.." and deleted alts
    • Like x 1
  15. MaryMagdalene_DCUO Well-Known Player

Bitterness? I literally have everything maxed out and alot of source to spare. Funny you ignore the actual point I made which is the devs won't make it easier for players to get arts on their alts because it affects revenue.

Come to think of it, players being able to have a way of sharing arts between alts or having some kind of way towards leveling them at a reduced cost may interfere with "an ecosystem of some sort"
  16. Brit Loyal Player

Extra Character slots are a paid benefit as a function of the Subscription.

Extra Character slots are also sold a la carte on the Marketplace.

The current Artifact system makes alts essentially unplayable, rendering these paid functions of the game pointless.

I, personally, think that we should be able to spend Replay Badges to unlock Artifacts onto Alts at their level already advanced on the account. Will I pay $10 here and there to unlock Artifacts for an alt? Probably. Will I pay $100 to level up an Artifact from scratch on an alt? Never.

Saying "This hamburger costs $100" doesn't mean that you make more money at your Hamburger restaurant. If the place with the $2 hamburger is selling more than 50x as many, than they are making the bigger profit.

Digital items hold literally zero cost from the company. There is no overhead in producing them. Judging based on literally every time this is discussed by the community, as well as the strong tendency of players to have few or no alts at all, treating them as unplayable, it seems as though making Artifacts more attainable at a cheaper price tag would INCREASE sales, not decrease them, and would make MORE money, not less.
    • Like x 2
  17. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

Agreed. So many fail to see this aspect. Just how much does it actually cost to keep the servers running, anyway? That is the question. Is it really not enough that they have to remain predatory? Debatable.
  18. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

I would amend that to say 'The devs have done a lot to make the game more New / Returning player friendly".
  19. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Except a dev already came out and said they would look at possible options to make them more alt friendly.

By bitterness I mean the snarky suggestion that the devs are always bad.
  20. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

It’s not about how much it cost to keep the game running. No company every works to break even. They work to make a profit. They have to pay staff as well and probably a lot of other things. It’s also tied to a large brand in DC Comics. Pretty sure that’s not free either.

And how is it predatory exactly? I could see you saying that for TCs. But the game as a whole is a stretch.

Except that digital items do gold cost to the company. It’s part of their revenue. Part of that same revenue is used to pay for other areas in the game.

Look I’ll make it simple. Didn’t want to bring this up cause I really shouldn’t have to. I run my own small company and 5 months ago I started managing a gym for a friend who wanted help. At a gym membership prices can be put at anything they want. The equipment is already there so the membership is just a number that doesn’t take anything to lower or increase. However that membership that cost nothing to make pay for everything else.

They can make arts for alts free. Yes they aren’t “losing” any money by doing so since it cost them nothing to make. But it pays for other areas. It’s not some trivial number.