Test Discussion Preview: On Duty Custom Play UI updates

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by JackFrost, Jul 14, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackFrost Developer

Updated Custom Play UI

We have been working on an updated and streamlined version of the Custom Play On Duty UI. This is a still work-in-progress and early look at where we're headed, and we want your feedback on where we're headed.

Please use this thread to give any feedback, comments, critiques, bugs, etc. regarding the Custom Play UI updates. Thanks for your time and help in testing!

Known issues
    • The Raids tab is not hooked up yet, so you won’t be able to queue for Raids via the Custom Play section of the On Duty UI.
    • Cross-faction isn't denoted yet.
    • Favorites is finicky (some things don't get moved to favorites while some things do).
    • Loot locks are displaying 3 versions of each lock in error.
    • Like x 5
  2. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Feedback Request: Queue Persistence

Currently, when you select and queue for content, those selections persist. When you're done with content, those selections will still be set so you can just hit queue again. If you log out and come back later, those selections will also still be set so you can queue up again. Note that there is a button to deselect all or specific content.

How does this feel? Should your selections persist?
    • Like x 6
  3. Eve YouTuber

Haven't ran anything *Yet* but I like the addition of favorites and what not. I know a few solos I will add there for sure.
    Sort by option is interesting. I like that I can pick the role more easily too. Good to see some UI changes in the game, at first, like everything I was like ??????? but now I actually like it. It looks good even if It's in early stages. I don't have any complaints but I will test it deeply tomorrow when I am not in a hurry to sleep, lol

Picture for those who cannot get on test just yet and want to see it:
    [IMG]
    • Like x 4
  4. Kreachure Committed Player

Yes.
    • Like x 2
  5. Capt. Retro Well-Known Player

I have not tested this but just from reading it, yes. It sounds like a good QoL feature because it's nice to queue up a bunch of stuff, run it, and just requeue afterwards instead of having to go and re select a bunch of missions each time. Thanks for the UI updates!
  6. Hamicrux Level 30

This is pretty but is there anything that can be done to more randomize the choice of alerts being selected during Omnibus alert queues with this update? Currently, it's almost always, always Phantom Zone; I'm sure others can attest. It's been this way since HoL came about. I feel like it pushes people away from Omnibus alerts. Personally, I avoid it for this reason.
    • Like x 1
  7. Proxystar #Perception

Hi JackFrost

Clicking the button below opens the Legends Character select screen in the Events tab, obviously because "Legends PVE" instances are usually under "Events" but I can't help but feel this might create a level of confusion for a new player when they start wondering what it is in connection with other events or might even go in there wondering why they can't select their own character.

Is it at all still possible to perhaps now create a seperate tab next to Favorites specifically labelled "PVE Legends" I also wonder whether it might not also be possible just to have them all available at once now rather than on a weekly rotation? I know that's a slight distraction from topic, but I just think this has a good chance of causing confusion within the new UI and an opportunity is possible there to make it a more fluid and clear experience :)

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  8. Eve YouTuber

Yes, I love this, this is very useful. If I don't feel like running it now but I will be back to the game later and see that option is safe there, it will make gaming even more fun and easy for me. Really good QoL Feature as others mentioned.

I agree with Proxy about new players getting confused about the Legends pick up at the beginning. Also abit confused on the PvP part -
    if you pick a legend and then queue you get queued into legends? Or how do you queue into legends now?
    • Like x 2
  9. Proxystar #Perception

The character select is basically the character you'll queue as, when you select the character it sets it as designated and then you have to manually queue a legends instance, whether that be PVE or PVP.

That's why I think they'd be better off in their own tabs, that actually goes for PVP Legends as well as you've pointed out, because at the moment it's just all under the "Arena" tab for PVP and "Events" for PVE.
    • Like x 1
  10. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Feedback
    The "Arenas" tab is really messy right now. It looks like someone try to consolidate all of the PvP options under one tab.

Stages are listed multiple times like "Shadowlands (1 vs 1)". Just based on the names in the list, you would be confused as to what is what. If you are wanting to to queue for the Legends version, you have to find the one that lists "Mark of Legend" as a reward.

If you try to queue for Shadowlands without selecting a Legend, the reason is obscured by the "Ready Up" button.
    [IMG]

Also, I really hate that you have to expand the "General" element to get the PvP list. It doesn't behave that way under any of the other tabs. The list should be presented to the user without any extra input on the user's part.
    • Like x 3
  11. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Feedback
    The way the instance information is presented to the user isn't great. Let's use this as an example:
    [IMG]

I have very strong concerns about the readability of that description.

The font is small and a dark blue. Depending on your display or eye sight, you may have to squint to see it.

All of the text is centered and everything is given the same weight with how it is formatted. It isn't easy to pick out the Suggested Dominance from that list.

To see the actual description, you need to scroll. Will console players be able to do that easily?

Why is only half of that center window space used to display that information? It feels like a giant waste of space.

Also, the text isn't formatted consistently from instance to instance. In Royal War Elite, the "more difficult version" text is displayed in gold. If I go to almost any other Elite instance, that text is displayed in the same drab blue text.
    • Like x 1
  12. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Feedback
    The way "right-click" is used in this interface is inconsistent:

There is nothing in the interface to suggest you can right click on a tier to select all of the instances. The only prompt in the UI indicates that right-click is used to view instance feats which leads you to a black screen.
    • Like x 2
  13. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Feedback
    Depending on how you interact with the UI while selecting groups of instances, the UI can become unresponsive for several seconds. Here is an example:

Watch what happens when I uncheck the PvP instances at 10 seconds. The UI didn't recover until 20 seconds.

Also, the PvP list kept changing during that 10 second span.
  14. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Bug Report
    What are the white underline elements under the category names supposed to mean? You'll see them under Solos, Alerts, and Arenas in this example:

Even if I hit the "Clear All" button, they still persist.
  15. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Feedback
    I feel like anything "Legends" related is poorly presented in this UI. You'll find Legends content under the Arenas and Events tab.

If I'm a new player opening this for the first time, the first thing that will be highlighted is the Events tab. Under the Events tab, One of the first things you see is the "Character Select" option. So you start thinking to yourself, "Why do I need to select a Character? Don't I have a Character?" If I click that button, I see a list of Iconic characters. Prior to this point, the player has never been allowed to pick an Iconic character. No where else in the UI is Legends explained as a concept.

Having a mix of Legends and Non-Legends content only adds to the confusion. If you are scrolling through the 4 player list, you might see Smallville, Smallville (Elite), and Legends Smallville. Two of those don't require Legends. The new player will wonder what the differences are between all these versions.

So I see a lot of places where confusion may set in and why a player might get frustrated with this UI.

It doesn't help that the UI also cuts off the names. Here is an example:
    [IMG]

Just quickly looking at the list, you don't know which one is Volcano Mining Facility Regular and which one is Volcano Mining Facility Elite. You have to hover over both of them to see which one scrolls and reveals "Elite".
    • Like x 5
  16. Shadowdragon Devoted Player

Favorites currently saves across all characters. It'd be better if each character had his/her own as they might be at different points in the game.
    • Like x 7
  17. hotsizz1e03 Committed Player

Favorites Tab should be the FIRST TAB over the EVENTS tab..IMO
    • Like x 1
  18. Catastrophic Repercussion Dedicated Player

Made an image to demonstrate how I think the current incarnation can be improved upon:
    Original Screenshot here to compare
    [IMG]
    • Settings icon that quickly leads to queue-related options such as [Enable Suicide Squad] [Enable Role Optional Alerts] [Allow Placement Into Instances In Progress] [Lock PvE/PvP Phase for Operations].
    • [Queue Persistance] can be another On/Off option
    • Would tech allow for [Auto Deselect Completed Instances], maybe from detecting if you have all loot locks?
    • Swapped the order of Favorites and Events
    • Added [Legends], maybe LPvE stuff is also in there?
    Left Column
    • [Select Legend] instead of [Character Select] to avoid confusion
    • Added a tick box for the sub-categories, though I forgot to put it next to Solos and Duos, you get the idea
    • Collapse arrow is now on the right instead of the left
    Center Column
    • Combat Rating requirement now just below the instance name
    • Favorites are now just below the Combat Rating requirement and to the right corner
    • Description now separated into [Brief] and [Rewards]
    • Image should reflect the instance, episode keyart will do for now, but individual screencaps of the individual cases would be great. Having BoP representing all custom queues is very awkward.
    • The [Briefs & Rewards] can cover a lot more of the image but I'm not bothering with editing.
    Hopefully, this new system would solve Phantom Zone being broken for Omniqueues due to the role queueing.
    On that note, I'm very glad to see role selection is now character based rather than account bound.

I can't wait to see how the [View Feats] would be realized, I would encourage you to add feats that are related to style/item drops in there instead of just skill-based ones. Would we see the same thing on the scoreboard as well?

The only thing I haven't tried is how [Selected Runs] would be impacted between me being on my own and when I'm in a group.
    I'm imagining the system remembering your last selections before you get invited to a group, and once you leave a group you'll get your own selection back.

Would the Main On Duty menu get some updates as well? That's most of my thoughts on this for now.
    • Like x 2
  19. Catastrophic Repercussion Dedicated Player

A bit more thoughts:
    • It is more important to know which instances are NOT cross-faction since those are the minority, and you should be working on converting some of them to lower that number anyway.
    • Since we have no idea how cross-faction information is going to be conveyed, I suggest that just be text information from now on, including on the scoreboard.
    • Favorites button could potentially be a hassle for console players, either have the Favorite button on the side columns or the centre column, but not both. Fewer buttons on the page the better.
    • perhaps an On/Off switch for the buttons on the Favorites page?
    • Have an icon in front of the instance name to denote [Elite] and [Elite +] on the left column, like [DK: Return to E...]
    • Actually, it might be time to ditch the episode part from the instance name entirely.
    • We can have [Episodes] between Events and Solos instead.
    • Add new system option: [On Duty Front Page] <Quick Play (Default) / Custom Queue>
    • The [Back] button on the Custom page's lower right corner should be changed to [Quick Play] as well.
    • Selecing any Omnibus would click on every related instance on the Custom queue, I can then deselect some of them and still have the Omni queue be intact. I'm not sure if that is intentional or incomplete.
    Extra Quick Play update suggestions:
    • All Quick Play options should be collapsible before we reach the [Start Queue] page.
    • Latest Episode X needs the [Solos] [Duos] [Alerts] [Raids] [All Episode] subcategories.
    • Save the Universe needs the [All STU] subcategory.
    • Can have a [Spotlight Episode] when it is time for that.
    • When there are difficult options, replace both [Start Queue] and [Change Difficulty] with the difficulty options. (Elite+ should be included but I'm lazy)
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Like x 2
  20. JackFrost Developer

Thanks everyone for the feedback! We're reading all of it, and have/had some initiatives in progress very similar to a number of suggestions posted here.
    • Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.