Fans of Heavy Metal (the illustrated magazine and 1981 movie)

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by MisterMeanwhile, Jun 17, 2022.

1. MisterMeanwhile Well-Known Player

If you're a fan of Heavy Metal magazine or the classic 1981 movie, even the so-so 2000 movie then leave a post of DM me.
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Fun little detail: if IMDB is correct, the actor who plays Squidward in Spongebob Squarepants played two roles in Heavy Metal. He voiced Hanover Fiste and Dr. Anrak.

Found this out after watching the Blu-Ray version of the film I picked up. I saw his name listed in the opening credits and found myself thinking, "Why does that name sound familiar?" So I looked it up and surprise surprise! Squidward was in Heavy Metal. :D
    • Like x 2
  3. FoolsFire Devoted Player

This was one of the movies which were the Holy Grail for VHS collectors. The movie was originally released in 1981 and played on HBO in 1983 and then 1991. It wasn't officially released on VHS until 1996 due to music writes. ("Again?" - "Aaaaagain.")

In case you're wondering...Other Holy Grail movies included:

+ Song of the South
    + The Rocky Horror Picture Show
    + Skidoo
  4. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I saw it when it came out, and LOVED it, didn't see it for decades, because as FoolsFire pointed out, it wasn't available. When I did watch it again, it hadn't aged well. I did collect the magazine too. Some of the best science fiction short stories of the 70s and 80s appeared in those pages.
    • Like x 2
  5. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

6. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Just got to thinking on the voice acting again, and I have to give full credit to some of the cast. Getting a bunch of the SCTV regulars was great and Joe Flaherty, Eugene Levy and Harold Ramis all did great jobs with their characters (Levy in particular was great as Stern LOL).

But overall I think John Candy was the standout of that group. I think he might have had some of the heavier lifting in terms of roles (the Den segment in particular) but he was up to the task.
    • Like x 2
  7. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

The one sketch I remember making me laugh was the trial, with the nebbish looking guy turning into a monster on the stand. Didn't John Candy play Den?
  8. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Yeah, both Den and his Earth version that was doing the narration in the episode. The difference between the two characters was really well done by Candy and he nailed the comedic elements in the narration (no surprise there).
    • Like x 1
  9. FoolsFire Devoted Player

Let's not forget about Percy Rodrigues' excellent voice for the Loc-nar. You might not remember the name but anyone who saw 1970's television would remember him. Oh, and a few fan boys of a lesser known TV series... ;)

[IMG]

He was the first black actor to play a flag officer on Star Trek (in the episode "The Court Martial").
    • Like x 2
  10. MisterMeanwhile Well-Known Player

Interesting tibbit of information.:rolleyes:
  11. Critical Massacre Committed Player

Is it just me or is “The Fifth Element” loosely based off of the movie Heavy Metal. I mean you got the cabby, evil orb, and warrior princess in both films.
  12. Swamarian Committed Player

The Heavy Metal movie was based on stories from the magazine. TFE was influenced by French comics, especially The Incal. Heavy Metal, the magazine is based on the French magazine, Metal Hurlant. So, I'd say that they have a common root, rather than one being based on the other.
    • Like x 2
  13. Critical Massacre Committed Player

Oh cool, that’s interesting.
  14. myandria Item Storage

I no longer have the VHS or the Heavy Metal Sountrack on cassette :(:(. I did buy it on DVD though. The original stories should be on Heavy Metal fans bucket list of reading.
  15. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Got the soundtrack on CD a while back, have the VHS, DVD AND Blu-Ray versions of the film. This is what I get for being a packrat, but I do thoroughly enjoy my physical media. LOL

Still think my favorite track on the soundtrack is Devo's cover of "Working In The Coal Mine."
    • Like x 1
  16. MisterMeanwhile Well-Known Player

Hmmm...never made the connetion.
  17. MisterMeanwhile Well-Known Player

18. MisterMeanwhile Well-Known Player

Here another you should watch.

19. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I saw Bruce Willis as a live action Harry. Moebius was involved with Fifth Element and I know he did a lot of stuff for Metal Hurlant which was the European version of Heavy Metal.
  20. MisterMeanwhile Well-Known Player

Getting off topic.