A timely reminder

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Quantum Edge, Jun 20, 2022.

1. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

Many people, especially under the age of 25, feel compelled to share their musical tastes with the world at large. I was guilty of this lo those many decades ago with my portable gramophone.

However, it bears reminding. If you're listening to music, it's coming out of your speakers clear as day. It then goes into a headset mic which is designed to process certain frequencies. Then processed through your ISP server, then processed through the DCUO servers, through your ISP server, then the game client, and then your headphones.

In that exciting journey, many of the lows and highs of the original music have been lost. If I'm familiar with the song, persistence of memory will allow me to fill in the gaps. However, if I'm not familiar with the song, all I'm hearing is gibberish.

So please, by all means enjoy your music while you play, but don't share it with the rest of your group.
    • Like x 6
  2. KidKretz Committed Player

its been awhile since i got music, but i always seem to get the cough :(

i just set ppls volume to the point i can barely hear them, life is good :)
    • Like x 1
  3. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

It's bee
    It's been ages for me as well. Ran Throne of Atlantis last night with a fellow, and a couple of his leaguemates, and they were all enjoying the music , but they were familiar with it. I wasn't so I was getting noise at my end. Pleasant enough guys, but mics and headsets were necessary so turning them down wasn't an option.
  4. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

As somebody under 25 I totally get that! Lol But I don’t use a headphone & mic when I’m playing & listening to my music but I have asked one of my league mates who is on mic to play certain songs for us to raid too. It makes it more fun fighting to the music.
    • Like x 1
  5. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I get that too, if you know the song, your brain can fill in the missing wavelengths. But when you're an old codger like me, and I haven't listened to top 100 music in well over 20 years, it's annoying. I say it with all due respect, I know that feeling of wanting to share music. And I'm certainly not going to be the old guy shaking his fist yelling "Turn down that rocking and rolling you whippersnappers"
    • Like x 3
  6. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

Yeah, I wouldn’t do that while in a group with people I don’t know, it would be rude.
    • Like x 1
  7. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

And, in fairness, it rarely happens now. It used to be a fairly common issue, but not anymore.
    • Like x 1
  8. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Mic etiquette is a lost art...especially in online games. Personally I don't go into group or instance chat unless there is a specific reason (like a feat or difficult mechanic to convey) OR if I'm running with people I know from other runs, and even then I go in muted as not to add to the noise generally already there unless I'M the one who needs to speak. If it's too noisy, I step back out. 'Find the DJ' or 'Find Typhoid Mary' in order to mute them is not the game I'm here to play.
    • Like x 4
  9. Hraesvelg Always Right

As an old codger that routinely listenes to top 100 music...the extra wavelengths don't help very much. Of course, most of the music released when we were younger was garbage, too, but we remember the good stuff. It's all wading through a mountain of garbage to find the stuff we like, heh.
    • Like x 1
  10. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

If I’m streaming Spotify while playing DCUO, can everyone else hear that even if I’m not on a mic?
  11. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

You shouldn't be able to.
    • Like x 1
  12. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

I avoid group chat like the plague.
    I create my own chat channel to avoid hearing...

Rap Hop Hip Hop music.... or any other music for that matter.
    People eating crunchy chips.
    Screaming children.
    The wife making noise while doing the dishes and screaming at the husband.
    Etc.....

So a loooooong time ago.... I learned to stay away from the group chat.

People don't seem to be able to grasp the concept that whatever sound they make goes straight into your ears thanks to your headphones.

So when they eat crunchy chips.... they eat crunchy chips straight into your ear.

And sadly... when you try to tell people... they are the ones who get offended that you tell them what to do.
    Using the ignore option.... not really a good option.

So the less painful option.... just stay away from group chat.

But I will give the OP A+ for the effort to try to remind people that everyone can hear their music in the chat. ;)
    • Like x 1
  13. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

My dad is a Gen X’er and I like it when he plays Van Halen or White Snake. They had some good music back then I think.
  14. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

My preferred music when I'm playing is either Sam Cooke, The Talking Heads or Fela Kuti, depending on my mood. I don't even dare look at the playlists of my teen years because they're usually called "Golden Oldies" or something equally insulting.
  15. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

I’ve never heard of any of those artist. I will have to look them up & listen to some of there stuff.
    • Like x 1
  16. Hraesvelg Always Right

That hurts on a very deep level that you've never heard of Sam Cooke. Check out "Bring it On Home to Me" and "You Send Me" for some really great gospel tinged crossover pop/R&B...and then "A Change is Gonna Come" when you're ready for the deep feelings.
    My stuff isn't quite on the Golden Oldies level yet, but quite a few years ago I heard my high school class song on the "Classic Rock" station and I knew it was all downhill from there as far as cultural relevancy...
    • Like x 3
  17. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

I’ll look him up tonight on YouTube!
  18. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

Sam Cooke's stuff you might recognize. His music appears in a lot of movies and television shows. The Talking Heads are a seminal new wave band from the late 70s to 80s. Fela Kuti is a Nigerian band leader whose musical influence is more profound than his actual music. I would bet money you've heard music influenced by Fela Kuti, but probably never heard music by Fela Kuti.
    • Like x 1
  19. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I get so sad when I hear A Change is Gonna Come to think about all the music we missed out on, He was only 33 when he died, and wow what a catalogue.
    • Like x 1
  20. inferno Loyal Player

Whenever I go to group chat with Nessum Dorma it seems to clear the chat pretty quickly.