Mechanics Training Dummy

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Raven Nocturnal, Jun 19, 2022.

1. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

Throws red skulls and red pools and other neat stuff. If you missed idk you die or something. Required in tutorial and before finishing level 30 mission. Also CR skip. Maybe throw it at the entrance to every dang raid as well.

That'll teach em.
    • Like x 7
  2. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We could get solos with that mechanic, since most players usually start the game by doing solos whenever they first engage the on-duty menu. :)
    • Like x 3
  3. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

Or even a required solo (once per account) where you have to complete a certain % of mechanics training to be able to proceed further in the game :p
    • Like x 2
  4. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Isn't this the speedster solo? For the AOE damage at least. Make that Mirror Master fight a slight bit tougher and drop it in as a 'training' mission. I'm all for it!

But yeah, a boss sparring dummy that could throw 1 shots would be neat too.
    • Like x 2
  5. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Maybe it could have tutorials for certain types of mechanics, in a training instance similar to the LPVE one.

Have ally NPCs that would adhere to certain mechanics (especially positioning based ones like AOEs or the green marker from Source Wall raid). Not far off a similar thing that FFXIV has when you queue with the Trust system for certain content there.

Would be great for DCUO but a lot of work and I don't see it happening anytime soon sadly.
    • Like x 1
  6. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

All the speedster solo taught me was not to stand in one place while fighting. Most content doesn't require it to that degree, or maybe I missed the actual mechanics?
    • Like x 1
  7. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Uh, I'd say 90% of the content requires that you move out of an AOE at some point or risk death. I think we've gotten away from that because most OP Endgame healers can heal you through stupid decisions. As the solo doesn't have a healer to bail you out (unless you yourself are one), it's a lesson to learn for sure.

But yeah, I was mainly joking as so many people feel this fight is impassible (it's not).
    • Like x 2
  8. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

I'm hoping that Reinheld will copy and paste his tutorial ideas (as mentioned on another thread recently) here, but hey, the world works in mysterious ways.
    • Like x 1
  9. FreezyPop Well-Known Player

I know OP is focused on teaching new players to notice mechanics, but I’d actually love to have sparring targets that do counterable move sets for each weapon style. From a few bosses, I’ve started getting the hang of the stance tells for a few of them; I’d enjoy being able to practice / have some lower stakes scenario to help me recognize more of them, since attack special effects almost always mask the actual icon above an add / boss’s head in practice.
    • Like x 2
  10. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I've posted the same tutorial idea in about 5 threads now. I don't really think they are that interested in giving us any kind of instruction as the ONLY mechanics training that was in the game...the bottle ship 'training' section...was pretty well removed.

I'm down with the idea of the training dummy idea, but honestly why not just add something to the dummies we have already? Make one set 'agressive' and they attack back vs just standing there?

Although I could see someone using the gadgets or HL bubble to drag them out to other sections of the building to attack unsuspecting people....and that wouldn't be fun....right?
    • Like x 2
  11. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

Heck yeah
  12. Red Wáve Well-Known Player

I might be tired but.. that last bit does sound fun *.*
    I could totally see myself starting to spend some time in HoL, just to Lasso aggressive dummies out to the bridge where everyone always seem to be idly standing around xD
    • Like x 2
  13. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

Dummies for the dummies XD
    Anti-Dummies ;D
    • Like x 1
  14. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

Yeah... The tutorial used to be longer, and actually taught you how to play the game. Now it's way shorter, and the section that made sure you know how to block/counter/interrupt has been replaced with a section that makes sure you know how to button mash.
    • Like x 2
  15. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

But it didn't really 'teach you how to play the game'. It taught the simple 'rock-paper-scissors' mechanics that PvP heavily relied on and only really applied to certain fight mechanics. It taught nothing about a 'role'...neither did the missions around level 12 or 30 where arguably you'd need to know. It really taught nothing about power consumption, or agro, or 'over time' powers vs burst powers...single target vs AOE. All things that would be taught in a real tutorial.

Honestly there was really no reason for that section unless you were planning on going to PvP phase right off the ship...which is probably why it was removed, however...the fact it HAD to be removed because people would get stuck on the ship because they couldn't figure out R1, or press and hold triangle or square....speaks TONS about our player pool. I've spoken out about the change before, but it's not because I really felt there was value in the old tutorial....except to weed out those without even one ounce of ability to play the game.
  16. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

"Mechanics Training Dummy"
    It's called [Regular] raids
    • Like x 2
  17. kallader Well-Known Player

We use to have some robot in the new player stage at being and you could not pass them until you learn the basic mechanic like reflect and blocking to make enemies fall etc but seem they remove it because complain peoples were not able to pass them..just imagine not able to pass that then go queue in raid XD

Another thing is they give you a legend pve at begin but did not force you to use it a single time in stage so most new player have no clue about legend pve at all.
  18. Great Architect Loyal Player

First they had to remove the bit where you had to either fly or climb up to the exit from the first "boss" room. I spent the next week with my head in my hands.
    • Like x 1
  19. MightyHornet Well-Known Player

I think ALOT of players would benefit from a mechanics dummy.

Would be nice if mechanics would be updated to the dummy and you can select which raid to practice on as a league or group.
  20. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

That clearly doesn't help a large % of players lol. Besides, it would be better if they learned some basics BEFORE bringing down an entire group or making themselves vulnerable to ridicule and toxicity.
    • Like x 1