So Charon left DI too...

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Eve, Jun 4, 2022.

1. KidKretz Committed Player

one thing i learned watching obsidianchill videos, because he pointed it out, they devs only confirm it ONCE the players bring it up, they are never the ones to initiate the info.
    • Like x 1
  2. BumblingB I got better.

I... I really liked Charon. I think this is devastating to my hopes. Talk about a huge blow.

I wish him luck with wherever he goes. He really was a dev I would have loved to meet and talk with. He communicated very well with the community. He helped hype content that was not so hype. He got bug fixes through for things that were bad for a long time. He will be missed.

As for the future of this game... I really hope the ones that are filling the void can carve their own slot of the puzzle and make this game successful longer.

As for why this happened, I'm going to blame Jackster as setting up a catalyst that created a domino effect.
    • Like x 9
  3. TomShepard Active Player

I think its obvious that something fishy is going on with the new company:its either about salary,or bad working enviroment.Probably the second one as more and more ppl leaving more than likely because they do not like how things now.It could be because of delusional new bosses who wants you to work 3 times as much for the same amount of money(wouldnt surprise me ) ,who knows.
    We can say he got better options-i ask what about Oceans?Suddenly everyone get better options,after the takeover?

The golden rule still applies everywhere:as a boss if you appreciate your workers (both money and workplace-wise) and create a good working enviroment your ppl will not leave(max very rarely only if they get much better position) .Bosses who never learn that your workers are your most important investments constantly looking for newbies.
    • Like x 2
  4. KidKretz Committed Player

yes, i too cringe everytime they ask us players to fill out an application or know someone who can. that is THERE job, not ours!! talk about desperation station!!!

on the flip side, there is a job opening for 3years one place i worked at and it still isnt filled :p

obamacare changed the 40 hr work week in a lot of places making companies hire more part timers than full time so they didnt have to offer insurance, now covid has changed the employment scene even more. thats life!
  5. Stardazer Committed Player

A friend told me that DCUO is like an Entry Level position for game developers and coders. They come in get some experience and move onto bigger opportunities (which is normal is any career though). However, he pointed out something that caught my attention. DCUO has some really old coding (10+ years) and we often hear Devs say they can't do something because the coding is old and they don't really know how to edit it without breaking certain functions. All the people who were experienced with this older coding have left, and new employees haven't learned this in school, nor do they want to start their careers by learning old coding when they could learn new things to advance their careers.

That's why DCUO is constantly seeing high turnover and Meppa is constantly posting that they're hiring. People just aren't applying to work with an older system.

I wish Charon all the best with their future endeavours. I hope DCUO is able to find a solid team of developers to help expand their gaming experience for another 10+ years.
    • Like x 4
  6. KidKretz Committed Player

usually why tv shows can only hit that 8-9 season mark, because ppl just get tired. even some utubers start to feel that burnout around that same length of time. not everyone can be working on one thing, one place all their life. i am a jack of all trades master of none, had several diff jobs in my life, on purpose. i usually last about 4 years and i get bored and have to move on. thru the many companies i worked for, i can count on both hands how many ppl i have met that had their job straight outta high school and are still there 30 years later, in fact i ran into one at an antique store the other day who told me he finally retired. his reason "these kids dont wanna work, they are so lazy, i had enough" hahaha
    • Like x 1
  7. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

THIS, this sounds EXACTLY like the company I work at, if it wasn't for the facts that by me staying here I get to work with Fortune 100 & 500 companies, and I would have to move to New York to find an equivalent job at a similar marketing firm. I just prefer not to work in New York, plus I get some satisfaction from seeing my marketing projects come to life and hopefully making my customer's customers happy from enjoying their products.

But yeah, I work in a toxic company full of nepotism and getting promotions based on who you know regardless of how hard you work or how successful your projects goes. Maybe this is why I am so passionate about any tampering with my stats here, idk.
    • Like x 3
  8. KidKretz Committed Player

this is happening in a lot of jobs atm. when someone leaves, they are making ANOTHER employee do that job because they cant find the staff AND they want to save money from having to hire another person. i have experienced this personally thru my jobs i am in AND i read about it quite often on the web from others. the most famous one being the Baldwin Rust movie shooting. they tried to hire someone to be the armory AND the asst props master and he turned them down stating that this job requires 2 ppl, you cant combine them. but sadly, many companies are combining jobs today for the $$$ and lack of hires :(
  9. BumblingB I got better.

It wasn't "old" just not "modular". It was designed to work on the PS3, which just didn't have the memory to allow for a lot of room in assets. Since code being in one GIANT file means things start to become linked to each other, when something new is added, it can break something else. Even if the new stuff is modular, it still can have the unsavory element of breaking something in the base code. Other than that, yes, it makes for working on the game difficult because it tends to make it harder to add and fix things. They have been working pretty well unraveling the mess that is the original code. There have been stuff behind the scenes that allowed for new QoL stuff.
    • Like x 3
  10. KidKretz Committed Player

this is what happened in marvel heroes 2016 on PC. once the OG's left, the new employees would tell us that they dont know how they coded the game and they didnt leave any information or notes behind and they just didnt know how to fix certain things :(
    • Like x 1
  11. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

Poor Red Five...

Everyone's gone.

NoP
    Megzilla
    Oceans
    Tlantern
    Charon
    Millbarge

I might be missing a few more
  12. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

There's some rumours that Millbarge also left recently as well.
  13. ColdFuzion Well-Known Player

TBH that's a valid point - As the industry evolves you want training and experience to keep up with it.
    • Like x 1
  14. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Agreed. This kind of turnover at the bottom of the organizational chart isn’t that abnormal but it’s the top senior people that keep bolting. This is very concerning.

Companies simply can’t thrive or even simply float and maintain solvency by keeping all their eggs in one basket. With very few exceptions, every company needs to focus and invest in the future to have any kind of longevity. If Amazon had stuck to selling books, we’d have forgotten about them long ago.
    Nailed it. Charon definitely left because of your personal dislike of one particular aspect of the game. There couldn’t possibly be any other reason beyond your dissatisfaction of a secondary focus of the game.

Forgive me, but I can’t help but be suspicious of your insinuation that you have full access to their financials. They’re a private company, not publicly traded. I hope for your sake you’re steering clear of any corporate espionage and/or other financial crimes.
    • Like x 2
  15. ColdFuzion Well-Known Player

Look, we have Summer event/new event, survival mode, save the universe and new DLC in October. There is a lot of content tie us over till 2023. So, there is plenty of time get recruiting just right for next year.
    • Like x 2
  16. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

Its weird this all happened in less than a year. The game was doing just fine a few months ago now everyone is gone lol. This is the first time in a while that Im scared of the future, because who is going to train new devs if everybody who knew the code is leaving
  17. zNot Loyal Player

No im not saying that someone stole something.
  18. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

I have to correct you on this:

Enad Global 7 AB is a Swedish video game holding company based in Stockholm. It was founded as Toadman Interactive in 2013 by Robin Flodin and Rasmus Davidsson as a work-for-hire consultancy studio. The company began fully developing games in 2017 and became a public company later that year.Wikipedia
    Stock price: EG7 (STO)SEK 19.20+0.07 (+0.37%) Current Stock price as of 03, June 2022
    Jun 3, 5:29 PM GMT+2 - Disclaimer
    Headquarters: Sweden
    Founded: 2013
    Number of employees: 835 (2021)
    Founders: Robin Flodin; Rasmus Davidsson
    Subsidiaries: Daybreak Game Company, Piranha Games,MORE
    • Like x 2
  19. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Well that’s a huge blow. What on earth is going on over there? Makes me wonder if the next announcement is that the game is shutting down.
    • Like x 1
  20. EconoKnight XIII Legion

Batuba (artifact developer) is gone as well.

Honestly, where does it go from here? We’re a few people away from a total wipeout of DCUO staff.

I do wonder how a company allowed Jack Emmert to head hunt such a large number of the staff. I guess no one was paying attention
    • Like x 4