So Charon left DI too...

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Eve, Jun 4, 2022.

1. the solowing Steadfast Player

They all called me crazy for listening to her, and yet she was right.
    [IMG]

Im not saying they are mistreating their developers at all. But its seems kinda common practice from the industry.
    • Like x 2
  2. BabyBoyzim Dedicated Player

I thought the game wouldn’t last after Spytle left honestly, loved his enthusiasm and excitement when talking about the game, plus in my limited interactions with him, he was always pleasant. Since then the quality for sure has dropped in many aspects that I’ve noticed, but the game lives on, such as it will now, at least for a little while longer.

Definitely not a good sign from a consumer standpoint though.
    • Like x 4
  3. the solowing Steadfast Player

I just had a feeling where i wished they did a livestream of Mepps queuing for Omnibus runs, under a different alias. And creating some commentary from a few developers. Just as a organic way to have some interactions with the community, within it.
    • Like x 1
  4. BabyBoyzim Dedicated Player

Yea that last part is pretty sad/embarrassing/pathetic to be honest.
  5. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

A big loss for DI and the DCUO team but a huge gain for whichever job he has moved on to.

Some of my favourite content in recent years has been by Charon, including the HIVE Elite raid, the Darkness Rising alert, False Idols raid and his input on the Fractured God Sphere raid (along with TLantern who also left recently).

Charon has also been very active on the forums. Regardless of how players were in discussions Charon always remained enthusiastic and professional at all times on here and had respect for the community. He gave us a few hints at what was to come later in future content also.

Personally, Charon was the person I would contact if I found bugs, as I knew he would either respond or get onto other devs to look into specific issues, after a game update. He was especially keen after the disastrous Legion of Doom launch to help investigate and resolve bugs on that front as well.

I could only imagine how busy Charon must have been as time went on and the dev team got ever smaller. I hope he wasn't overworking himself too much.

In any case, Charon will leave a legacy for DC Universe Online of fun, challenging content, background quality of life improvements for the game, and his enthusiasm for his work and the DCUO community.
    • Like x 8
  6. Achikah All About That Base

Charon was a great dev for DCUO, and though I'm sad he's leaving, with his talent I'm sure he's got something great lined up for him in the future.

As for what this means for the game... I don't really know. I'm not gonna pretend to know. The gaming industry has a lot of turnover in general and though this much turnover so quickly is slightly disconcerting, Mepps and Charon both were vocal about training the up and coming new developers and were hopeful in their skills. We'll have to see where the game goes and how things pan out, but one thing is for certain, Charon will definitely be missed.

If you happen to see this, thanks for all you did for the game, as well as how vocal and transparent you were with the community. It was greatly appreciated and I hope whoever's lucky enough to land you next gets to appreciate the same attentiveness and skill you gave us.
    • Like x 9
  7. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

The last couple raids have been by Quixotic. He is still on the team as far as I am aware.
    • Like x 4
  8. zNot Loyal Player

Charon also helped with elite raid difficulty, i hope quitoxic will stay or the elite will seriously have issues.. we found a good middle ground after years of feedback and this current episode for elite did well and the new devs will probably need some time to get used to what we want.. :-( starting from 0 again
  9. Eve YouTuber

From what Mepps said, they got Devs coming from the now cancelled Marvel MMO. This is probably why they delayed the next episode, too. I named the oldest Devs that still around above- there is also 3 new ones that joined the forums recently. So I hope this is not "THE END". I don't think this is the same as questioning moderation btw, we players have a right to be concerned with what's going to happen with DCUO now.
    • Like x 7
  10. NeoSelkie Active Player

Not sure if others have noticed yet but TLantern was an OG dev who also left in May.

Carp hasn't updated his linkedin yet so no sure if he has left yet.
    • Like x 1
  11. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

This is really sad news. Charon always seemed really nice & cared. I hope for the best for him on his new adventure. I don't know the reason(s), I won't pretend to know anything about it. I do know just from my own limited experience so far in the work force that sometimes people just need a change. Change is the only constant it seems and perhaps that's ok. Change is scary because of all the unknowns it brings.

I wish Charon the best at his next job, and I wish the best for the staff at Daybreak.
    • Like x 6
  12. NeoSelkie Active Player

Just checked on millbarge and he left in april for jackalope games.

Well this explains ep44 being delayed so much.
    • Like x 5
  13. BabyBoyzim Dedicated Player

I agree. Some will see this as a ‘devs don’t owe us anything’ when in fact, they do. The game is f2p and we pay them via subscriptions and the like. It’d be in their better interests to treat players more like the investors they truly are and be a little more transparent.
    • Like x 3
  14. Psycho Tech Dedicated Player

What :( well, im definitely not tied to this game anymore then, I really enjoyed my talks w Charon, only reason I really stayed, i know he wasnt the community manager, but he was alot more community involved
    • Like x 3
  15. Psycho Tech Dedicated Player

Its more of a appreciation of a badass human being in my opinion, cant get mad that literally everyone loved him, & despite his enormous activity w the playerbase, he had absolutely zero ppl that disliked him (unlike other individuals)
    • Like x 2
  16. Jcal Dedicated Player

Charon posted a White Martian style tease yesterday in the costume contest thread like it was any other weekend. What an awesome person; went out with a nice little community gesture. ;___; You'll sorely be missed, Charon. Thanks for caring about THE HYPE and for frequently providing said element.

I'm in full agreeance with what Proxy said in the first page - whatever the reason, normal circumstances or irregular circumstances, this is looking so bad right now, to the point where I question my confidence in the game's future. Before these devs left they obviously completed work - that's partially why we have what we have right now and why SM and STU are just around the corner. But in 6-12 months time, what then? If positions are slow to fill and if staff continue to exit the studio, what kind of DCUO are we looking at then?

I really don't know what to think. I wrote something much longer, but maybe I'm just overly 'dooming' right now so... forget it. Suffice to say that at this very moment, I don't believe EG7 is, or truly will, reinvesting in DCUO. I just don't see it. It certainly doesn't look nor feel like big upgrades and big expansions are in the horizon right now.
    • Like x 5
  17. Psycho Tech Dedicated Player

To derail off my original post a smidge,

Just wanted to say as much as Mepps has to deal w, for 11 years now, im thankful he still continues to stay, & no matter the string of bad news, he puts on a happy face like a professional & tries his hardest to keep the game going, no matter how much the staff changes. So for my post, & any other players who may have posted something that seemed to the contrary, we know you are doing your very best, & i hope i dont have to write a post in your farewell thread next. Stay positive & keep doing great
    • Like x 4
  18. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

We're all sad right now & discouraged. Change is scary because we don't know what any of this means or what will happen next. We can't begin thinking the worst; it will only depress us unnecessarily, I speak to this from my own experience.

Perhaps this is the start of a re-invigorated DCUO.
    • Like x 5
  19. KidKretz Committed Player

from a guy who works in nursing, if this field is anything like that one, it is an employee new hires paradise!!!! employees are able to jump ship to a new company asking ridiculous $$$ and getting the hours they want because companies are short staffed and the are accepting those demands from the employees.

right now, if you are not switching jobs and getting exactly what you want, what are you waiting for :)
    • Like x 4
  20. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

This is really when Id like to get some dev comment on the situation, but I guess it goes beyond what they can tell us.

Like this week I said some devs leaving was normal but if Charon left we would be in trouble. Well, we are 100% in trouble. He was responsible for seasonals and content coordination, so this year might be donezo. As if it wasnt bad already.

I think what might have happened is they had many other opportunities but wanted to continue bc of the Marvel game, now that it is gone they dont plan to keep working only on a Unreal Engine 3 game instead of learning new techs.

Jack the ripper might also have caused a lot of trouble for the team by offering the old devs new career perspectives
    • Like x 4