DCUO Development Update - May 2022

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Panderus, May 31, 2022.

1. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Assume the 'worst' and prepare as though it were exactly what you want. If it comes up short, you have some extra beer fun money. That extra Grande Mocha Latte you don't get on occasion won't hate you for it.

Don't reward the cash grab by breaking your budget....nothing in the game is worth sweating that much over it.:cool:
  2. Aetrius Well-Known Player

4 months (at least) until the next DLC is going to be bad. Loads of people are nearly done with this DLC's content, and I'm not talking about the ones that rushed and used 10,000 replays to get it all done the first week. Even with the grossly exaggerated prices we had on gear this time, and the items that were locked behind feats that required you to do dailies for 60 days, people are getting close to finishing, especially if they used their alts judiciously. We have maybe a month before this DLC is completely dead.

So we're getting STU, but Mepps said there's no gear this time, it'll have rewards, but no gear, so essentially another seasonal event. I don't know about you, but for me the only thing that made STU barely tolerable last time was that there was gear and an OP piece to work towards. I can't see grinding those painfully long old raids for some base items and cosmetics as being a viable way to keep people engaged. And we're probably going to see SM, but unless they dumb it down significantly, it'll only be for the better players, which you have to admit isn't the bulk of the playerbase.

What I'm getting at is I think the game is going to be a ghost town before we get content again. I mean we see a pretty significant drop in population towards the end of a 4 month cycle. Add another couple months onto that like we're looking at here and you'll see tumbleweeds in the House of Legends.
    • Like x 1
  3. DuffleBagBoii Well-Known Player

luckily i had 50 saved up i didnt buy any, there just hasnt been a capsule worth opening to me for awhile
    • Like x 1
  4. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I think you will see some traffic from those that missed the gear the first time (assuming the old stuff will still be there), and you'll see traffic from the people grinding the feat counts...however if they don't make better choices in content (no FOS2/Inner long runs plz), no one who has the gear, or don't feel like grinding counts will run it.

We'll see I guess. If we get FOS3/DD/Prime as a raid/E raid....they want a lot of traffic in STU. If not.....well, I guess there is always next round....
  5. The Cat-Lady Well-Known Player

Wait! What?! Krypto is an Ally but not Streaky?! How about Streaky as a combat pet, then?!!!

Pretty, pretty please!

Thanks! ;)
    • Like x 5
  6. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

I always shake my head at how anything a video game offers for sale is always a "cashgrab."

I've never in my life had a game "grab" my cash. The only way I've ever spent my money is voluntarily.

In my real world there are lots and lots of buildings that contain people who "sell" things. They're called "stores." People voluntarily enter them and, absent addictions, choose whether or not to buy stuff.

But somehow a tailor, a supermarket, a hair stylist, a book store, or a thrift shop isn't "a cashgrab."

They're just stores that offer stuff for sale. It's a system that's called "capitalism." You may have heard of it.

But somehow video gamers are uniquely unable to control their impulses and are forced against their will to give their money to video game companies.

Because video games are evil. Or they're the only part of capitalism we've encountered so far in growing up. Or something.

I'm sorry, but I have only the world's smallest violin to play for anyone who voluntarily decides to spend money on micro-transactions in a game and then claims to have been mugged, robbed, cheated.

The only way anyone could remotely honestly maintain that their purchase wasn't voluntary would be if they have some sort of addiction disorder.

But it's sure convenient to accept no responsibility whatsoever for one's own lack of impulse-control. It's someone else's fault! I wuz robbed because someone offered me something I could buy! Companies are evil! IT'S NOT MY FAULT!

"I made a bad decision" is something just about nobody says. No, it's the person who made me an offer that's at fault! Because... reasons.

Wacky suggestion: if something offered to you for sale is a bad deal: DON'T BUY IT.

How hard is that?

P.S.: "I had to buy it because otherwise I can't get every Skill Point in the game!" is still a voluntary choice; "I don't like that I have to pay more to get every last Skill Point" is completely legitimate to complain about, but it's still your choice, not a mugging.

"I don't like games that sell advantages for additional cash!" is not the same claim as "I've had money stolen from me!" The first is a legitimate complaint; the second isn't what video games actually do.
    • Like x 3
  7. Jaelia Committed Player

Remixed booster bundle @charon @mepps liquid material?
  8. Gundraasi Well-Known Player

As a person who takes things rather easy I am glad the insane speed of one "BIG" DLC after another has finally come to a reasonable rate of publishing. For me those two DLCs a year would be also enough for the future if (as it seems to be happening) other "features" and "gimmicks" don't get forgotten meanwhile.And maintenance should be rolling also...there are still many glitches as we all know of...

Thanks for the heads up and cheers!
  9. Reluctant Well-Known Player

It is ok everyone! Watch the half way update for Dark Knights be so awesome!

Also are artifact going to be included in Combat Rating one day? I see that it has an item level similar to omnipotence items, of course than all the catalyst would have to be able to be purchased with in game currency to make it fair if it was tied to combat rating, than everyone would grind to level up artifacts to level up their combat rating!
  10. Drathmor Unwavering Player

no-one should play their or any developers legalized child gambling. it should be outlawed and developers should make cosmetic items and charge the whales for those items and other actual things of value to to player base as a quality free to play game does and throw out every single idea the game killer Jackster brought forward. and yes I'm a little bitter about it =)
    • Like x 2
  11. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I'm fine with SOME people participating in it....that way I don't have to. Hey, the lights got to stay on somehow...just not off my wallet. And I'm not saying TCs or BBs per-se. Cosmetics, emojis, base stuff, vehicles...whatever. Every dollar they get of someone else who wants those things is another dollar they won't be looking at me for. Bring it ALL in....just don't attach feats or stats to any of it.
    • Like x 2
  12. zNot Loyal Player

How many people came over from the studio?

Will you hire the same number of devs as listed on the daybreak website before those devs came/switch to your studio or have they taken some of those empty spots?
    • Like x 2
  13. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

I just FINALLY got it the other day after too many years of opening those TCs, I think I'm at well over 300 opened just to get it once!

Which reminds me that I need to post in the Costume Contest Thread again...
  14. Dominic Blue Dedicated Player

Well I'm glad it's not as bad as I worried it was going to be with all the staff leaving. Hopefully things Daybreak plan on doing will go smoothly now after the various setbacks we've had the last few years. I look forward to STU, 6 player Survival Mode and Homecoming oh and next episode in October
  15. Gundraasi Well-Known Player

:cool: yes please! This is overdue. Thanks.
  16. myandria Item Storage

Hmm..

Are you saying that you want each separate base to have the ability to slot generator mods in a different configuration from one another? Or, are you asking for multiple generators in each base to customize different generator mod builds?

Either way, I dont think this game can handle it right now.

Armories are still having issues with keeping your character's setup(s) imprinted across multiple armories, so I have little confidence that generators would be able to keep multiple configurations of generator mod builds for multiple characters.

Maybe in the far future we will see it.
  17. TomShepard Active Player

Please Devs if/when you think about bringing sm back please I love DCUO so bring back old styles.Im talking about the ellite kryptonian style or that trigon style set(forgot the name).Heck im even fine if you just add them to the marketplace.I'd kill for those.You can just add it to the vendor and let me decide what im using my marks up for.Or Marketplace.
    And i know elitist will come say "no no no dont add that"-but the truth is,its just a game.End of the day its not only more options,but the end of the day EVERYTHING suppose to be obtainable/earnablle one way or another.
    Pretty Please
  18. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

If you mean that you are owed an opportunity to later get items that were offered as "exclusives," you're just making that claim up.
  19. Comixfan Committed Player

Still no new power since August 2017 despite the fact that there's so many more powers you could add to the game such as Death/Necromancy/Black Lantern, Physical, Sonic, Air, Hard Light (one that isn't tied to a Lantern corps), Gravity, & Thermodynamics, amongst many others!

Still no new weapon since June 2012 despite the fact that there's so many more weapons you could add to the game such as polearms, nunchuks, sword & shield, crossbows, & whips, amongst many others!

Still no new movement type since November 2014 (and even then that was just a reskin of flight!) despire the fact there's so many more movement types you could add to the game such as sliding, teleportation, portalling, & phasing, amongst many others!

This game still has so much unrealised potential yet it's being squandered in favour of more story chapters featuring recycled content, more recycled events, and (no doubt) more cosmetics available only via loot boxes.
    • Like x 2
  20. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Hello.

Given further dev departures since this update, are we likely to see further delays on anything outlined here?

I am almost tempted at this stage to take most of this developer update with a pinch of salt.
    • Like x 2