DCUO Development Update - May 2022

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Panderus, May 31, 2022.

1. Panderus Senior Producer

DEVELOPMENT UPDATE - MAY 2022

Hello Heroes and Villains! Please read on for your May 2022 Development Update to learn more about some changes to our plans, what the team has been up to, and what's next for DC Universe Online.

What follows are our plans laid out as transparently as possible based what we know or expect to be true - as of right now.

Plans can always change.

NEWS

If you do not read this whole update, here's what you need to know:
    • Episode 44 is now due to launch this October.
    • Survival Mode and Save the Universe will return.
    • New 'homecoming' seasonal event.
    Let's catch up on what we have been working on.

PREVIOUSLY ON DCUO: FEBRUARY-MAY

Wow, what a spring. February kicked off the Valentine's Day seasonal event, followed by the Mister Mxyzptlk's Mischief event in March, and then the Springtime event in May. February also brought us the Joker's Legacy Time Capsule, featuring the Bombshell Harley Quinn Ally, which was then followed by a Resurgence Mega Capsule in April, featuring the Reactive Mearcian Auras.

Game Updates brought us improved Omnibus balance and scaling for elite content, the base vendor and trinket dispenser, and better user interfaces for Daily Rewards and Custom Play. Speaking of Doctor Fate's Daily Rewards, there were a ton of them! Remember, if you happened to miss any rewards, they will eventually appear on the vendor directly. Oh, and of course, April also brought us the Death Metal Batman Ally, because we just couldn't resist those sick riffs.

Saving the best for last, Episode 43: Dark Knights launched this April, featuring Perpetua and the climactic finale to the Metal saga. If you haven't jumped in to experience it, please do! All of our episodes are free and easier event versions of the content are fun for everyone.

NEXT ON DCUO: JUNE-AUGUST

This summer will of course see the return of the Tides of War seasonal event. I am also happy to announce that we will see the return of both Save the Universe and Survival Mode. Survival Mode is especially interesting this time because we're aiming for this to be our first ever 6-person content. A 'Ralert,' if you will. An 'Araid,' if you won't. ...we're still workshopping what to call it.

Survival Mode is especially interesting this time because we're aiming for this to be our first ever 6-person content.

Daily Rewards will continue monthly, with June featuring the highly anticipated and community-voted Blue Beetle gear suit and vendor additions, including stabilizers and ally favor. I can't wait for everyone to get their hands on that suit. Speaking of things the community has requested, we will also see the launch of two new Allies: Superman and Krypto and a 'remixed' Booster Bundle. It is what it sounds like!

We will also celebrate Pride in DCUO with our June update. Look for new gifts to claim, display, and wear to show your support. Previous years' gifts will return, too, if you missed any.

NEXT AT DIMENSIONAL INK: JUNE-AUGUST

Beyond working on what is mentioned above, the team will continue to work on a native PS5 client and begin work on at least two (more) new allies for later in the year. The systems team will begin a balance update to some of our earliest artifacts as well as continue to work on more new ones.

We will also continue work on a new 'homecoming' seasonal event and, of course, Episode 44.

I do need to update everyone on a few things we won't be working on quite yet, despite previously planning to.

We won't be working on a new lair for now, and we won't yet be working on the new feature system we had planned to launch this fall. We do still intend to work on other smaller systems this year, including some lair improvements, but I will have more on that in my next development update.

I also want to call attention to Episodes 44 and 45. Episode 44 is now planned to launch this October and Episode 45 will launch early next year. Work has already begun on 44, but we would not have been able to meet our previous deadlines due to some recent staff shortages. Our new event, Save the Universe content, and Survival Mode will help fill the gap and keep things fresh.

We are hiring! Tell your friends.

Now that said, one thing the whole team will be spending more time on over these next few months? Hiring. We are hiring! Tell your friends. We have all sorts of positions open and new folks are steadily joining the team. Even so, it takes time to ramp up to full capacity and efficiency, making these schedule adjustments unfortunate but necessary.

Again, if you have what it takes or know someone that does, hit our careers page for more information.

NEXT ON DCUO: SEPTEMBER - THE FUTURE

This fall, we will see the launch of Episode 44, the new seasonal event, the traditional fall and winter events, new allies, new artifacts, and more. Hopefully our recent emphasis on bug fixing has been apparent to everyone, and I can promise that focus will continue, too.

More on the future as we live it.

CALENDAR

If paragraphs are not your thing, maybe calendars are!

[IMG]

Thank you for reading this May 2022 Development Update and for being a part of our DCUO family. Please join the discussion and let us know what you think.

Landon "Panderus" Falls
    Executive Producer
    DC Universe Online
    • Like x 21
  2. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

Looks good to me
    • Like x 1
  3. Eve YouTuber

Shame that a few things got cancelled/delayed but still looking forward for everything that's about to come. Lair improvements and Homecoming event sounds great!
    • Like x 2
  4. DuffleBagBoii Well-Known Player

will save the universe drop with new armor sets as it did last time?
    • Like x 1
  5. wisetoons Well-Known Player

Can we please build our each bases with seperate generators for enabling different generator mods builds?
    • Like x 1
  6. Doctor Proteus New Player

Next episode is in October eh? it's going to be something spooky isn't it? I've always wanted you to do something with the Upside-Down Man - The source of all dark magic, or Neron, The King of Hell. The Dark Crisis is happening in the comics right now, so maybe something with that?
  7. NeoSelkie Active Player

Has the SC revamp/balance pass been fully scrapped or is that something still being worked on? Been a while since the last update on it.
    Natures new SC was kinda neat, just needed some tweaking. Ice getting movement mode on elemental form was neat too, was nice you guys implemented the other QoL here, letting us use iconics while in it.
    • Like x 2
  8. PolishEagle Dedicated Player

Sounds good, but should I be concerned that nothing was mentioned on a new stabilizer?
    • Like x 1
  9. BumblingB I got better.

It has been announced, the "unannounced project" was cancelled. Are you going to be readjusting the devs that were working on it to DCUO to fill some of the gaps lost when a certain CEO left with staff?

I'm pleased with the honesty on the delaying for projects. That has been a bit of contention for a lot of players, I'm included, when things get delayed and/or dropped and it is said that it was never promised. Thank you.
    • Like x 2
  10. ColdFuzion Well-Known Player

Ah come on that blue beetle gear put you in a good mood lol You've been after that for years mate.
    • Like x 1
  11. BumblingB I got better.

Oh I'm excited for Jaime's costume. I am in hopes that we will get Ted's as well.

I was talking about the other things. :)
    • Like x 1
  12. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

No. The last time it was part of episode 41, which is why it had new gear. This is the real event version that will recur from time to time. It has rewards but not a new gear set.
    • Like x 5
  13. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

The SC redo was dropped a long time ago.
    • Like x 4
  14. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

We'll have new time capsules and whatnot as usual.
    • Like x 5
  15. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Everyone in the studio was brought over to DCUO.
    • Like x 15
  16. Bluey New Player

“Beyond working on what is mentioned above, the team will continue to work on a native PS5 client“

I feel we should be able to get a better understanding of the details behind this statement. We’ve been fortunate enough to obtain these consoles and would like to at least be assured that we will reap the Benefit of the potential of the graphics on our PS5’s. Considering people like myself have devoted 11+ years to the game and can honestly say the current state of the game visually and mechanically are dated.
    • Like x 1
  17. BumblingB I got better.

Thank you! Might want to update the hiring page. I'll make a poster to put up at my school maybe someone might apply. :)
    • Like x 3
  18. wisetoons Well-Known Player

What about any new Omnipotence gear linked to new save the universe content that we will upgrade with dark matters and blood catalysts? Or are they obsolete?
    • Like x 1
  19. Jcal Dedicated Player

It's gonna be the exact same STU, isn't it?

FOS2 / Inner / TotD.

The staff shortages and the fact that it looks like y'all are working on SM:S3 at the same time and are targeting the same launch quarter certainly paints a picture. Premature opinion, but it'd be a shame if that's how it plays out. STU is a strong concept and it'd be received far more favorably if other classic Instances were rotated in... like the ones people actually enjoy vs things like Themy Divided, Inner, Iceberg Lounge, etc.
  20. Iconic Simulation YouTuber

Im glad no jobs were on the chopping block and everyone was basically absorbed into DCUO. Im glad to hear we have more joining the DCUO family!
    • Like x 5