Dev Discussion Episode 43: Open World

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Cadavern, Apr 14, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Open world minions in an event space are supposed to be doable by people who are level 12 with 20 SP and no artifacts or augments. More or less. No, they're not supposed to be a challenge for experienced players.
    • Like x 4
  2. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

I suspect the general issue is one of those common to new open worlds, which is that y'all tend to start them off so that multiple objectives and their areas remain highlighted simultaneously, sometimes keeping players murky at best from telling what are the actual objectives for the one specific area mission we're trying to accomplish.

In practice it frequently means muddling around in an area lit up in orange, which theoretically means that that's where you should find your targets, but instead the actual targets are Way Over There and your current area is lit up orange because of an entirely different open air mission you have pending. You think you're on one mission, but that mission is instead Over There, and your current area is lit up orange because of a mission you aren't intending to be working on at the moment. Goals become confusing when the orange doesn't disappear when you switch to a new mission without completing your current mission, and this is frequently the case early on in new DLC open worlds.

This issue is compounded when the two (sometimes more!) missions have to do with minions with similar names, or possibly even the same minions, such as Evil, Bad, No-Good Robins.

We shouldn't need to struggle to distinguish separate open air mission goals from each other. Areas shouldn't stay painted orange unless we're actively click on that specific mission and ONLY that specific mission.
  3. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wrong mission. :)
  4. Lt Skymaster Dedicated Player

Feedback for the open world missions the solo ones, after doing it for a few days I really realized that they take quite a bit longer than the ones from the previous DLC, seems like you need to kill more enemies compared to legion of doom, any chance we can balance it? I know the amount of "defeat 30" is the same but in legion of doom there were more targets that would give a higher amount of "defeated" if that makes any sense.
    • Like x 2
  5. inferno Loyal Player

Feedback on the 5day weekly missions - although the terminals are not ideally placed and being able to be destroyed creates a slight annoyance, I like the added missions. It creates a break in the monotony of killing 30 ads of groups. It's good that it resets at 5 days so that one isn't necessarily forced to do the missions everyday of the week. It was also a good idea to immediately have the reset appear so that players do not forget to get it for the next set. Also, the fact they are all quick and easy to do, albeit a little far spaced from each other, makes it not too tedious.

I find that while relevant, reward boxes are the highlight of my dailies. As long as the items inside feel interesting to me, opening boxes retains that, "what do I get" feeling.
    • Like x 4
  6. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A Followup:
    After i've done 5 daily missions it appears that those ssem to be free missions without any lootlock. This is actually good and cuts the time to 2 months if you'd do the daily open world mission each consecutive day.
    The rewards are: 3 Heavy metals, 3 Source marks and a large loot cache. Pretty nice for a free mission.
    The amount of daily missions doesnt change regardless.
    I still feel like the feats should be reduced - at least once the episode enters omnibus state further down the road.
  7. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would like to see 2 enemies added extra to each add cluster.
  8. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Are you sure they reset only after 5 days?

If so, that would mean youre actually forced to do it everyday for optimal progression and using replays on those missions doesnt help in grinding the feat at all.

I really hope this isnt the case.
  9. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mission: Lighten the load

The mission you receive after completing 5 daily missions in the Lantern area works. It just seems quite unpolished however.
    The "Supply drop" is just a single lantern, wich i wouldnt call supply drop. Green Lanterns get revived by Yellow Lanterns supply or Red Lanterns by Green Lanterns supply. I'm not that much into the comics but isnt that supposed to be counterproductive in terms of rules of their universe?

The Supply drop Lanterns also spawn in mid air wich looks odd and unwanted. :)
    • Like x 1
  10. FreezyPop Well-Known Player

I actually thought the mismatch was intended, since for me at least it doesn’t always happen. When they match color, the lantern uses a strong emote. When it mismatched, the lantern uses a confused emote. It was kind of amusing as a bit of storytelling: “uh... did you even look at the color I’m glowing, hero?” :)
    • Like x 1
  11. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

Not sure anyone else has run across this issue with the 5 day missions but on one toon, I couldn’t finish the ones near Washington Monument. They disappeared when I had 2 left so I warped phase. They instantly exploded when I got in. Kept phasing and the white dots would show up then disappear once I got close. Tried for about 30mins then went and did the duo. Came back, same result. I’ll try again after work and see if I can finish.
    • Like x 2
  12. Stranger Well-Known Player

• Like x 1
  13. Cadavern Developer

• Like x 2
  14. Cadavern Developer

Let me know if this persists
    • Like x 2
  15. Stranger Well-Known Player

I had this problem too. But i could fix it with a phase swap. But it was not just the Mission, also all the allies around the Monument.
    I've to add that it was not easy for me to find Orbitals for this mission too... i searched the whole map and found like 2-3. Then i had to wait for respawn.
    • Like x 1
  16. Beta Developer

Thanks for the feedback! We have moved the terminals around the Lincoln Memorial for easier access, so that update should be coming up soon.

Would you be able to provide any more info on what happened? You weren't able to finish the daily missions? Were the encounters not spawning?

Thanks for the feedback on this! I'll work on making this a bit more of a cohesive experience.
    • Like x 3
  17. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

I was thinking about this the other day. I thought the whole point of us not having blue lanterns is because of the rules and lore of the universe. However seeing that those little details about the diff lanterns getting diff supply drop colors, is out of lore retrospect and the reasoning for not having a blue lantern power is out the picture. Just my thinking tho
  18. Godkingzero New Player

hey anyone know if I can change my movement back to flight with the robin ring equiped I DO NOT want to take the ring off and I DO NOT want acrobatic movement
  19. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

Well, see what happened is… I’m dumb and did dumb thing and didn’t notice I had collected them all cuz I’m dumb. Could of sworn I had more to collect but logged back in a few hours later and I could collect the reward. So for now, let’s just go with the I’m dumb scenario
    • Like x 2
  20. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

Not 100% sure but the flight and speed rings could be put on the left side to not make you do those movement modes. May still be that way?
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.