Devastator too hard

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Nangaf, Apr 15, 2022.

1. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

But if they have enough stat points to fill the criticals and their primary stat, they'll do more damage, which makes the spores go away at a certain point in the enemies health. So stat points there, will make a big difference, in the length one has to deal with such mechanics.
    • Like x 1
  2. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

It may be temporary, but they are here for it now...so it's still valid advice at this point. Also, they have the option of running the dailies and duo to get started on gearing up. There's also asking for strategies for dealing with the specific difficulties (haven't you learned this lesson already). Last but not least, LFG. Your odds of getting decent to excellent players is MUCH greater through LFG than it would EVER be just blind queueing (even though it's possible, your odds are lower with blind queuing especially the first week).

Experienced players who aren't looking for a headache will always team up in a pre-made group during the first week of new content. You can't just ask for brand new content to be nerfed after a day or two just because YOUR roll of the dice turned out to be crap (that's what you sign up for with blind queueing, the greater chance of failure).
  3. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Ask for strategies to overcome the difficulty. Or, sacrifice damage output for survivability. Carry a shield, craft Dampening Field consumables (or buy some off the broker), use a sidekick (they can provide power and health).

Bringing it back to the "what if gear isn't enough, isn't sufficient", have they tried yet? No, then asking for a nerf only 2 days in is premature.
    • Like x 2
  4. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

If by "C" word you mean Clamp, the content gets easier after it falls into early endgame status. And while the Gear (Armor) is clamped, the stats from skill points & Artifacts bleeds through...people just have to work on that progression alongside acquiring gear/cr. Also, people literally need to get better. Work on your player skills. Turning this already easy game into some Fisher-Price kiddy game is not the answer.
    • Like x 1
  5. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

They're not everything, but since the OP is at level with the content, stats will help. So would forming their own group and trying to get a tank and a healer (i'd also recommend a troll, but good luck getting people to agree with that).

You can't keep throwing the same excuses and obstacles for one player having a little difficulty on something that isn't impossible, on content that just came out. There is a HUGE difference between a mechanic being broken and needing to be looked at vs a player playing somewhat undergeared and underskilled with people who apparently are at the same level.

I've run that alert on 3 different toons on Friday. Not once was it difficult to complete. Nothing felt broken or in need of a fix, let alone a nerf. And each time I ran it we did it 3 DPS 1 Healer.
    • Like x 6
  6. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

For the new alert, I've found a healer, troll, and 2 dps works great. Better than having a tank in my opinion, since everyone gets a defense buff. The troll can debuff devastator, and the fight goes fast.
    • Like x 1
  7. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

The problem is getting a troll sometimes, or worse, convincing your prospective teammates to get one. But you're right, that can be the best combo.
    • Like x 1
  8. Great Architect Loyal Player

In almost every case, I find Chronometric Emitter is better than Dampening Field. Bosses just ignore both, pretty much, but a 3.5 second stun is almost always better against adds than a very weak shield. Even the Explosive Block Feet Mod is better against adds AND Bosses than Dampening Field, IMO.
    • Like x 1
  9. Great Architect Loyal Player

Group shields make it a walk in the park, especially for those that are slow in recognising that they are standing in lava, and that the lava is still stuck to them when they move out of it.

I PUGged it four times today, two disbands after multiple wipes, and two clean runs without a single hitch. The good runs were people sticking to the perimeter of the room, troll and healer group shields, and people only staying in Doom form long enough to clear a space for the group (not trying to hoover up the entire arena), and rolling away from the group when the red arrows began.

The wipes were 3 DPS, 1 Tank / 2 DPS 1 Tank 1 Healer setups. Awful.

It's similar to Volcano Mining Facility in the way DoT can escalate, and you need a similar group.
    • Like x 1
  10. Dominic Blue Dedicated Player

Not gonna lie, Devastator feels like a Raid boss not really an Alert boss. Kind of surprised we didn't fight Johnny Quick first then go into the Superwoman and Ultraman fight next. So I can see the problems of players using their less than endgame toons and getting clapped. This is an Alert you really need all four players participating. No Three man carries here.
  11. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

good feedback. I wasn't aware it was a good move to force yourself out of the form change. I've always tried to take out as many spores as I can. Mechanics can run smoother. For example instead of luring him into the spikes (or whatever) we could have had to shatter them and throw shards at him to get his defense down or some such.

anyhow. I can't see myself running this alert multiple times a day...
  12. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

Ran the alert the past 2 days with the 2 dps, healer, troll setup. The first run, which was my first run ever, we wiped on the devastator fight a couple of times. The second run for some reason was easier, the difference that stood out was the spore was tamer on the second run. The spores on the first run almost covered 50% of the floor pretty quick regardless of us doing the doom spore mechanics.
  13. Great Architect Loyal Player

It's a balance. With too many spores he gets much nastier, but the longer people are hoovering, the less things get done. There's a sweet spot where there's clear spaces for the team, but not too many spores so he gets unmanageable.

The inevitable problem is that the Troll and Healer must switch out of Doom Mode pretty much immediately, so the DPS have to carry the burden of Doing The Doom. And situational awareness is not the strong suit of your average PUG DPS :(.

By the way, one of the wipes was caused by me - because I was Healing, and didn't realise I could drop Doom Mode immediately from the tray. I assumed it was similar to Mind Control and would eventually just wear off.

I'm never looking at my tray when I'm Healing, because I know what I've just done, when I can do it again, and what I have on or off cooldown without looking. I have one eye on my situation, and one on the bars to the left.

I assume it's the same for a good DPS that knows where to re-pick-up their rotation when they get interrupted.

Not noticing that your power bar had changed was already an issue in TOWW. Then it just gave you some extra irritation. In this Alert, it can be a killer.
    • Like x 1
  14. Zneeak Devoted Player

"Devastator too hard" is kind of an ironic title, considering the actual name and nature of the Boss character and all.. :p

Anyhow, the regular Nerf Brigaders are not really surprising anybody by rolling onto the forums for nerfs after no more than 2-3 days of live playtime. Get your gear up a little, play for a couple more days, let others have some time to actually play and learn the instances for a couple of days too and you'll notice it become easier. As it does every single episode.
    • Like x 4
  15. Great Architect Loyal Player

A lot of people that get Doomsdayed early on don't bother hoovering up spores, because there are so few of them. That is a mistake. Because Devastator ups his attacks and the frequency of them quite quickly, leaving less and less opportunity to clear spores up. Take every opportunity to clear spores, but don't overstay your welcome... which is roughly what Batman says.
  16. Great Architect Loyal Player

"Content too hard. Please nerf it / OP me."

That's practically been the mantra of the people that don't like the clamp. But I digress...
    • Like x 1
  17. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

People are doing spores?
  18. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Seems like there’s some confusion regarding the best way to do this. Looks like I’m going to be largely abstaining from the alert and raid AGAIN this episode, because it sounds like they’re both tuned beyond the abilities of the average EU LFG player, myself included. :(
  19. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

I’d just rock out in the event version to not miss out on coins. But even in elite, you can just ignore the clouds and heal and burn thru it. Or clear some out. It’s a giant toon, use the real estate.
    • Like x 1
  20. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

I hear that for the raid, even event is crazy. In any case, I’m sure doing event mode will screw me somehow. Otherwise why would anyone ever do normal?