Dev Discussion Episode 43: The Source Wall Raid

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Quixotic, Apr 14, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

Agreed. For a one room raid, surprisingly very few complaints from anyone. I think everyone agrees on the ghosts being hard to see but they ain’t terrible. A lot better than they were originally imo. There’s a lot going on at all times so it’s definitely a crazy time in there. Those 1st bosses, which I will now call gatekeepers cuz they’re gatekeeping me from 2nd boss lol, are pretty perfect in normal. There’s always at least 1 jumping around and I’m sure a lot of tanks will be blamed for it but that’s just them doing their mechanics. Everyone just needs to run away and survive for a min haha. In elite, yeah. Wow. Crazy. But very fun. This is easily as hard as fgse which was my favorite raid ever. Still probably is but this one’s growing on me.
    • Like x 1
  2. ALB Dedicated Player

They took the counter effects out the Brainiac Ship I believe. You can block, but I don't believe it's anything that really require it
    • Like x 1
  3. Drathmor Unwavering Player

yea I had to switch to help our main healer on that fight to get through it and the tank had to kind of kite around because they hit so hard but its not too bad
    • Like x 1
  4. BumblingB I got better.

I think one of them has a proximity aggro, like Ares. Another is designed to just target the group regularly. None lose tank's threat table, but they definitely are hard to manage when you are dealing with them in normal. I don't think the fight needs to be changed, just their damage potential, which Quixotic is doing. So it should be gold.
    • Like x 1
  5. Quixotic Developer

To help make them more identifiable, I'm putting an aura on the Soul Fragments that matches the color of their symbol ( yellow for totality, red for doom, orange for justice, and purple for ultraviolet ). It doesn't improve visibility as much as I hoped it would, but it's a step in that direction and does help.

I'll try to find other ways to improve those if possible. The FX can't change without a client patch, so I'm looking for other ideas for now.
    - Quixotic
    • Like x 4
  6. inferno Loyal Player

Thanks. A clarification for future, so this type of attack doesn't warrant a skull to appear on her head?
    Also, my friend was water healing it and was using his shield to block the damage. Also he also mentioned that his water shield, which is only supposed to mitigate damage was able to fully block the Anguish's damage. This is just a second-hand report so I am not sure if others will verify.
  7. inferno Loyal Player

It's funny you should mention water's shield. My friend timed the stomp damage to block with his water shield and swears it blocks out all of its damage, weird since its only supposed to mitigate it.
  8. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Would it be possible in the future to tone down the animation of the barrier around the area where you encounter adds/bosses in the raid? This would make it easier to see souls, and also less straining on the eyes if players are in the raid for a while.
  9. Quixotic Developer

We could look into that, but it would require a client patch so at best would be weeks away.
    Update: Elacron, the Source Wall environment artist, just did a pass on that barrier and toned it down. Should be a nice improvement!

- Quixotic
    • Like x 4
  10. Quixotic Developer

Update on Call of the Deep: it IS possible to take more than one hit. If more than one of you are standing close together, you can take splash damage from one another. You'll want to spread out a bit when the Drowned is in the mix.

I forgot it did that and was testing yesterday with one character so didn't see it.

- Quixotic
    • Like x 3
  11. KlarkKent Well-Known Player

Feedback on Source Wall Elite:

Drowned's Call of the Deep ticking twice. Is this intended?

Note: Im aware if you have peoples around you, you get damaged by their Call of the Deep. Im not talking about that. Point is Call of the Deep ticks twice even if Im by myself.

Here is a group member's combat log:

[IMG]

And here is my combat log of me dodging Call of the Deep:

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  12. Chewsy Well-Known Player

Ran again today and had a possible bug where the first phase bosses lunged and killed a few people at the boss entrance less than a second after the boss started. No one moved or pulled them yet. Might be some issue with the way the raid teleports everyone back to the entrance after the first adds are killed?
  13. KlarkKent Well-Known Player

Source Wall Elite feedback:

Merciless' spinning swords were still in fight even after we beat him. Also defeated bosses were targetable and causing damage split.(mostly EOG damage)

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  14. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

You can also still target lock bosses who are defeated.
  15. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Think the hot fix last night may address this. As best practice though spread out and block the Call of the Deep for the time being, maybe block a few seconds after the animation just in case.
  16. KlarkKent Well-Known Player

Yes. The image I posted also shows this. Im able to lock on Murder Machine on ground.
  17. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Finished the elite version of the raid today. Really nicely done devs :)

A few things (elite):

1. Skullcrasher add (particularly in Perpetua fight) needs a tell for his charge. It can easily cause a wipe if players aren't paying attention, and as it currently has no skull/tell for its one shot charge that can get messy. With more gear it should be a priority to be KO'd as soon as possible, but a skull icon above his head before he charges would make things a little less unfair in certain situations.

2. One Who Laughs in the elite version is considerably less mechanic heavy than the other three bosses. My group did it first try. There isn't a lot of danger to the group in this fight if players know where to stand. This will become more apparent as the episode goes on and more players gear. Are you doing anything in elite plus to spice things up with this particular boss fight?

3. Would it be possible to ensure that Merciless (second boss) doesn't pull the group while someone has a stack marker (Rebuked Isolation). Can lead to a cheap wipe if the timing is right (or wrong) and the group aren't already close together for this mechanic. Players run to player with green marker > as they do so Merciless does his pull > everyone gets pulled away from green marker player > wipe. It might be manageable depending on the exact timing/positioning but can be a little RNG sometimes. Has caused a few wipes depending on positioning/timing for my groups.

Really enjoying this raid, probably one of my favourites in a while. :)
    • Like x 1
  18. Yaiba Committed Player

One Who Laughs fight also has cheap wipe, you get pulled by chain then meteor/orbital/eye beam on top of that, not much you can do, and he also has stun attack which can lead to same result.
    • Like x 2
  19. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Can the behaviour of Kerbak be adjusted so that he doesnt randomly drop aggro after a backflip and then decide to to ignore any pull for almost 30 seconds?
    This gets really annoying.

Other than that, great raid.
  20. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

What are people's thoughts on the amount of Source Titans needed to progress the phase in the Perpetua fight? Is it about right or too much?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.