Fixed This is getting beyond annoying! Fix your PC Client devs!

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Proxystar, Mar 24, 2022.

1. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I use 3 PC systems. 1 is a vanilla Dell laptop, about 5 years old, and it uses the built in Intel video and chipset drivers...so nothing big. It runs chunky, but if I don't run anything else, I can run for a few hours without a crash. If I try to run too much, it lags more than crashes. Win 10, 8GB ram. SSD C drive where the game is installed. Direct launcher but steam is installed. I generally only use this for checkins if I'm away from home, but have run raids and daily stuff just fine.

My 'work' PC is Win 8.1 (too lazy to upgrade and reload everything). It's probably older than DCUO and has 12 GB ram and a decade old 4GB Quadro 3800. SSD C drive, but the game is installed on SATA disk. Runs fine as long as I run a single session...I can be on all day without issues. Play through Steam client mostly, but do on occasion launch the direct launcher. I really only run steam on this one so it will update my badges for feats if badges/trophies are attached.

'Gaming' PC is Win 10, 32GB Ram, ATI Radeon RTX 470 w 4GB DDR5 (appox 5 years old). AMD Ryzan 7 3800 CPU. M2.1 SSD C drive and all SSD storage. I can be (and have been) on it from reboot to reboot without issue and frequently have 2-7 clients up at any given time. If I leave 7 up and do other things, eventually DC does start running unusably, but it doesn't crash....just runs very laggy. I think that has more to do with the multiple sessions than anything else. Direct launcher always.

On all 3 I'm using PS4 Remote connected by wire. Never mastered KB/Mouse on this game. Doubt that has anything to do with it, but it's a thing...
    • Like x 1
  2. Proxystar #Perception

Thanks, yeah I might try first of all running outside of steam and see what happens, in amongst doing a few other things, updated a few drivers, will see where it goes will definitely be reporting back if crashes continue and will update this thread though, so it stays in one place.
    • Like x 2
  3. Hraesvelg Always Right

I hope it helps. If you have any other ideas we can troubleshoot, I'm open to testing some stuff.

OS NameMicrosoft Windows 10 Home
    Version10.0.19043 Build 19043
    System Typex64-based PC
    ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4008 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/DateAmerican Megatrends Inc. 3801, 3/14/2018
    BaseBoard ManufacturerASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
    BaseBoard ProductZ170-DELUXE
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
    Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB
    Available Physical Memory 6.12 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 31.9 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 15.4 GB
    Page File Space 15.9 GB
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

Never Steam.
    • Like x 1
  4. Proxystar #Perception

Thanks for sharing the information, it's useful to know people aren't crashing even if it creates further frustration, in saying that though I'd be more inclined to think this was something exclusively my end if it wasn't also impacting all other PC players I directly know.

Thanks again.

Curiously also actually do you play with window mode or fullscreen? Do you have it set to 60FPS yes or no? Vsync on or off?
  5. Hraesvelg Always Right

W

Windowed, Vsync on, allow 60 FPS is on. I don't have anything exotic set with my NVIDIA settings manager.

If it makes you feel any better, we DID have one guy in league that had a lot of weird random crashes, but the other four or five regular people don't. There IS a problem, somewhere...fully open to try and track it down, though. We can crowdsource this, heh.
    • Like x 1
  6. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

As others have stated, it’s not isolated to pc and it also didn’t start with house of legends. I remember dcing when going to the portal for the card game in DMe/r. Just the other day I did DMe on my HL toon and dcd going out of the portal. I do feel like every dlc it does get worse. If you just started dcing after house of Legends than you are lucky. I unfortunately know many players who call it disconnect universe offline.

I’m hoping that the changes and system update that is being planned can actually stabilize the game.
    • Like x 1
  7. Proxystar #Perception

That's the time I anecdotally feel it started getting really bad, DC has always been a bit rough around the edges in terms of crashes, it's why people joke around that it's "disconnect universe" or "DC Universe Offline", lol :D

But that's when I can recall, to the best of my ability, it starting to happen with more daily frequency to the point where it's multiple times a day.
    • Like x 1
  8. AZPrime Active Player

The game has been generally unstable for at least a couple of years now. Crashes have gotten more and more frequent, usually due to memory issues that in all honesty shouldn't exist for a game that's over eleven years old, even if running on less-than-modern hardware.

In short, if modern PCs and consoles are having stability issues running what is essentially still a PS3 game, there's obviously something wrong here.
  9. SocratesGS Well-Known Player

I crash a lot and thought I could share my computer specs as well. However, I don't really think it's related to hardware in any way since it's across platforms. Nothing is overclocked beyond factory settings and the SSDs are generously over-provisioned by at least 5% to 10% of the SSD's total size.

CPU:
    AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

RAM:
    32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3600 (4x 8GB sticks)

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti Elite Edition

OS HDD & Partition info:
    500GB Samsung 970 Evo SSD (116GB used ~ 74% free space on the partition)

Game HDDs & Partition info:
    512GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD (261GB used ~ 43% free space on the partition)
    2TB Crucial P2 SSD (477GB used ~ 73% free space on the partition)

PSU:
    Gigabyte GP-P750GM (Gold Rated 750 Watt PSU)
    • Like x 2
  10. thedemonocus Loyal Player

If you are on pc i suggest running the direct launcher from daybreak, the steam launcher has more issues. I used to run the steam launcher but the game would crash all the time and when i logged out the game would keep running in the background and i would have to restart steam to get it to stop. Since running with the DB launcher i very rarely have crashes or lag unless there's an issue with the server.
  11. Ryll Committed Player

No crashes here lately. Dc'd this morning when my ISP cycled something on their end but was a scheduled event with notice given.

I play mostly on 2 old gaming systems. When I say old....I mean an Asus G50V laptop updated to windows 10. https://www.cnet.com/reviews/asus-g50v-review/

The other system is an ancient desktop I built for gaming. By ancient it is running a first gen i7 (970). It warms the basement on the cold days.

Through steam on the desktop and standalone client on the laptop. The last time I can recall an actual hard crash
    ..was probably after I updated both systems to win10. Because I forgot to install the drivers for my video cards.
  12. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

Don't know what to tell you because the last time it crashed on me was the last DDOS. Other than that, I can't tell you the last time it crashed out of the blue.
  13. BumblingB I got better.

Believe it or not, I haven't experienced your crash. I have crashed, but it was due to the DDoS or their servers went down for another error or something.

BUT I have 4 leaguemates who are suffering what you are going through. We are primarily PC league and they constantly have the same experience. Usually when zoning to Thanagar, but not limited to. It happens so much, they each have a catch phrase.

"Boom"
    "What the hell game?!"
    "I crashed."
    "..." They don't talk in voice. lol

I do hope they can get this fixed, as it has been a very big problem for them and when we are getting groups together, it affects everyone in the group.
    • Like x 1
  14. Proxystar #Perception

Yeah it baffles me that a few people seem to have zero issue, but then like you say 4 others you know are, it's really strange, makes you wonder what it is exactly that's different with your end :)
  15. Yvtq8k3n The 7 Well-Known Player

Yo it seems a problem with your disk.

If your disk takes to much time to load the resources or if thoose resources are corrupt all crazy stuff will happen, like out of bounds crashes. My first solution would be to reinstall the game and see if it solves. If thats not the case you may have to replace the disk all together.
    Your disk, if has some age, may be damaged with broken sectors which make it run slower.

In my end, Im not experiencing crashes. If you could provide more info about your disk specs it would be awesome.
  16. Proxystar #Perception

That door is that way, champ.
    • Like x 2
  17. BumblingB I got better.

I can probably assume it is related to hardware optimization. Somehow I ended up getting lucky and the hardware I have was optimized by the client.

My computer isn't exactly the best in the world. It was a prebuilt gift from my stepmom.
    • Like x 1
  18. Yvtq8k3n The 7 Well-Known Player

Yo, I see alot of confusion here so let me try help you.

When you play a game like DCUO, the game uses something really fast to temporarly save data/calculations on runtime, that thing is RAM.
    The game has many resources like textures, maps, characters. In order to save thoose a Disk is used. This disk has alot of capacity so it can save alot of resources, but in comparison with RAM is really slow.
    However, RAM is limited really limited, and has a fail safe switch it is possible to temporarly store RAMs data into the DISK. This fail safe switch is called Memory SWAP.
    The error you getting means all your RAM and the grace limit of your SWAP has been reach.

The SWAP Memory limit is customizable, however ideially your system should ONLY be being RAM.
    Could you provide info regarding your RAM?
  19. Doctor Nova Devoted Player

I DC'd from Lost ark today. was a power hickup/out of power for a second. The minutes spent in dcuo daily, a bit longer from thursday reset of weeklies. I've not DC'd during dcuo from power outage or other aspects in recent weeks. PC, wired ISP, M&K.

I was omnibused into a duo with a "healer" role character, that did such low damage. I inspected and saw 4 origin augments for dominance..... A few healer gear pieces and a few dps gear pieces. -.-

it's a duo....

battle support role in a duo? No. Don't. Just go full dps build. Are you aware of armories? /sarcasticallynotshocked@pugs

maybe it's the gold spammers or reaction to them periodically? Trying something vs the gold spammers adds a glitch in the matrix? I did see a dev mention ddos attack in recent weeks.
    [search for "free guy server axe"] 0o [IMG]
    whaaaa? no free guy server gif? [IMG]
    oh, one [IMG]

20. SocratesGS Well-Known Player

I think you are talking about the pagefile. As a server engineer, I want you to know that this the proper name of the "memory swap" you seem to be talking about. The error in the logs that I copied and pasted above literally says "Primary Hard Disk" and is not related to RAM. It's calling out the pagefile and not RAM.

The pagefile is literally a file called pagefile.sys and is located on the OS volume by default but is configurable in both size and location. Believe it or not, Windows OSes are designed to use swap files instead of running everything from RAM. In fact, early versions of Windows 10 would become unstable when users configured it to have no pagefile at all.

Also, without getting too technical, there is a hierarchy of data access that your computer and the programs you run use. It doesn't seem that you fully understand this topic so I will expand upon it for you. Immediately used and constantly changing data is loaded into the L1, L2, and L3 caches that physically reside on your CPU as often as possible. However this cache space is severely limited and thus system RAM is used to hold data that doesn't fit in the CPU caches. RAM usually hold info that isn't needed immediately, but needs to be on hand for near future usage. Pagefiles are used for slower data access needs and for things that don't fit into the amount of RAM you have. Normally a pagefile is designed to be anywhere between the amount of RAM you have and 2x that amount.

CPU Caches are things being processed immediately.
    Physical RAM is used for things that will be processed in the near future (think of this time as milliseconds into the future)
    Pagefiles are used for things that will need to be used in the far distant future (again you should be thinking of milliseconds here) and things that are running in the background like a minimized program like browsers windows.

Also, things like textures for video games are loaded into your GPU's dedicated RAM first, and if it doesn't completely fit there it gets loaded into your CPU ram in much the same way the CPU data cache behaves from the CPU.

I assure you, I'm not confused. As far as my PC specs go, I posted them here:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dc...our-pc-client-devs.321928/page-2#post-4496356

I'm far from an average user as far as how my personal computer and home network are configured. Since I did not include every disk volume in my PC configuration, here is a more complete picture of the disk configuration on my computer looks like:
    [IMG]
    The only volumes listed that are not on their own dedicated hardware are the P:\ & W:\ volumes. They both exist on their own SSD but the only file that is on it is the pagefile.sys that I discussed up above.
    • Like x 2