Dev Discussion GU 22: New Artifact - The Clarion

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Ranmaru, Mar 8, 2022.

1. Ranmaru Developer

Howdy Everyone, Ranmaru here with a new artifact for GU122

Restorative Melody
    Using the power of the Clarion, executing weapon attacks heals up to 4 nearby players with the lowest health for (3.5%/3.5%/3.5%/7%) of a priority heal. This effect is temporarily empowered when activating your [Weapon Buff](15%/15%/15%/30%) of a priority heal.

Clarion's Guard
    When you are empowered by [Weapon Buff], targets above 95% health healed by Restorative Melody receive a shield for 12 seconds. This shield's effectiveness is increased by (0%/0%/0%/100%). Players can only benefit from this once every 30 seconds.

Arion's Might
    When you are empowered by [Weapon Buff], Attacks deal (0%/0%/20%/40%) of your Restoration and (0%/0%/6%/12%) of your Precision as damage to all enemies near the targeted foe every 6 seconds.

5% restoration
    4% Precision
    3% Health

Rank 80: Unlock healing
    Rank 120: Unlock shield when empowered
    Rank 160: Unlock damage when empowered
    Rank 200: All values potency increase

Developer notes
    Howdy everyone, Ranmaru here with a new artifact. "The Clarion" is a new artifact for Hybrid Precision based healers, and below i'll outline my general thoughts on the artifact.

Artifact Design
    The design for this artifact was to help encourage a more active DPS style for healers to engage with, as well as add additional support for Hybrid healers. We started with the idea of providing tools to allow you to continue to do dps while still providing healing output for you team.

The intention is not to replace healing altogether but instead allow The Clarion to provide spot healing for small aoe spikes and residual damage so that you can use those precious seconds making another attack instead of casting your priority heal or a group heal.

Although it is not required that you run your weapon buff, I tied several additional features to having the weapon buff active to encourage you to edit your loadout to complement this new move.

Recommended Loadout
    Artifact Suggestions
    The Clarion (obviously)
    Venom Wrist Dispenser (increased DPS from weapon buff allowing you increased throughput in terms of overall dps, easy include)
    FLEX SPOT
    Demons Fang (even more DPS output as well as power back - the power back has less use but still a great dps increase)
    Purple Healing Ray (if you're gonna go purple healing ray, I'd drop your priority heal and focus on a full sustain loadout using group heals, field heals, & shielding to mitigate the majority of damage)
    Loadout Suggestions
    Add your weapon buff (adding this move to you loadout will allow you to increase your DPS throughput)
    Drop that group heal (since The Clarion will allow you to supplement the healing that you were doing from that ability)
    • Like x 3
  2. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

Couple of questions. Couldn’t get raid sized groups together when I was on test but finally got the chance to see this in action with some friends this weekend. Our tank was using it at 120 rank. The shield never applied to him, it always applies to the 1st four names on his team list on the left side of the screen. Then sometimes 2 players. Then sometimes 5. One time, even 6. But never on himself. Wasn’t sure if this followed the healer rule of “applies to 4 players” but one is always yourself. Assuming you have 95% health.

So questions are:
    Does the artifacts holder get priority? Or are they supposed to.
    If the holder isn’t 95%, it goes to 4 others that do or was it supposed to be one less shield?
    Will it always apply to the same order of the name list?

When the top 4 names took damage, it would move to the next name. Just curious really as I didn’t get to run across this on test. Still a great artifact, and it worked very well. If all this is intended, then it’s set. But if the holder is supposed to get priority, something’s up. I didn’t even think to ask honestly, I can see this being a little less appealing to the tank roles but still a great artifact for healers. Still actually a great arti for anyone but I know tanks specifically want that shield to be theirs.
  3. Drathmor Unwavering Player

first I want to start out with I love this artifact and I'm having great fun trying to figure out the best use of this artifact. not as useful to me as Celestial since were predomintly might focused but I'm finding ways to make this work. I'm still looking forward to trying this on a tank build and some other ideas I'm playing around with.
  4. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

One funny thing I’m going to try is a healer troll build lol. I’ve already played around with a troll tank so it’s only natural I try this next. One of the worst things about phantom zone not checking for roles is that it always pops for Omni with 4 dps and dps who struggle lol. My tank and healer toons have no issue since they can simply do the role but when it comes to trolling if the burns the good than it risk more time for the group to fail.

My main troll is primarily might based so minimal weapon attacks. This will be a change for sure
    • Like x 1
  5. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

With this artifact, I've remade my bounty solo loadout, tested multiple artifact combinations, and found a couple that work wonderfully.

I'm anxious to get this leveled on my electric character. I've already got a 200 demon fang, and transformation, so I'll likely remove purple from one healing loadout (I've got 2) and give it a whirl.
  6. Drathmor Unwavering Player

I've heard the fang just isn't worth it but I was in the process of lvling it for a duel build for the extra damage based on resto. running fang and clarion. what are your feelings on the fang? not meaning to go off topic feel free to PM me if you want to keep it out of thread
    • Like x 1
  7. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

I think it's relevant to the thread. Pairing the fang with it will increase resto, which will increase damage. With electric, healing still uses quite a bit of power, which is why I currently run fang and purple. I use hybrid build anyway, and the fang keeps my power much more manageable than not having it in. I can even change cyborg out and not have to worry about power (but I don't have much other options on that character for switching).

So I'm thinking the stats, paired together, with the healing (and shield) and power back together, the only obvious choice for 3rd artifact would be transformation, since it boosts damage and healing.

I'll have to play around with skill points, to get the right mix (both critical attack and healing will be max), I'm not sure what spec will work best precision <=> restoration, but I'll find the sweet spot lol. If I had around 750sp, it they would both be maximum.
    • Like x 1
  8. Drathmor Unwavering Player

yea I generally go 60 in crit attack , crit mag (im pretty sure 60 is max) 60 in crit heal, mag heal
    100 prec 100 resto 100 power/might and 20 or so in health rest in weapon attacks and super strength for my hybrid build

it so happens to work very nicely with the new artifact. and I'm with you having 700+ SP would be awesome but who has time for all that I'm 465 or something I've climbed a ton since I came back but don't have all those whale ones from the time capsules probably never will.
    • Like x 1
  9. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Tip: try the broker (sand quark vendor) for old TC styles.

In general about the Clarion.
    I've been running old bounties for a little while now, to catch up on feats, and been using this. Today I actually had a full group join me in Atlantis, and there were quite a few of them that we shocked that, as a tank, I was healing the group so well. Apparently there's negative rhetoric going about regarding this artifact, so I was happy to correct.

42 kills on Brine Hulk, no deaths in group, and 3 others wanting the artifact now lol.
    • Like x 3
  10. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Also, Drathmor, might I suggest taking that might/power and putting 50 more into precision and resto. Unless power is a big issue, maybe cyborg passive can help. That will greatly boost your damage and heals, with both artifacts mentioned together.
    • Like x 1
  11. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

I’ve heard some grumbling as well, I think it all comes back to my previous post tho. Players, myself included, figured the shield would prioritize the artifact holder unless they were under health threshold which would in turn pass it along to next in line. If that’s not how it’s supposed/ going to work then maybe some ice and fire tanks will back away from it. Tho it’s still epic for alerts in a 3/1 tank setup or a 2/1/1 elite alert with a healer so they get a little help. Personally, I’d still be all about it for the self heals alone on my ice tank but would be a bit sad about not getting the shield on occasion. For my healer, it’s a no brainer. I love my orb of arion but this will undoubtedly work better for my playstyle. Well, when not spamming the greenies.
    • Like x 1
  12. Aerith Rose Committed Player

Reasons like this is why I had suggested Clarion work on 8 people and not 4. It is a nice set up for alerts. I see issues with raids.
    • Like x 1
  13. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

From my time today playing on bounties with the group, every time the shield was able to be activated (I had health up, and the timer was reset), it activated on me. It does seem to prioritize the user, and the 3 members with the least health: meaning it will heal the other 3 instead of shielding someone full. If everyone was full (beginning of fight I activate it) then 3 random others and myself for the shield.
    Also, I was always getting priority with the healing mechanic as well.
  14. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

With raids, it might present an issue, when everyone needs a heal. On the bounties I ran, it was quite interesting. One of the 8 might get the first healing tick, and not the second one. So it seems to bounce priority to the 3 (and self) needing it the most. I'll be trying it on raids with electric, once I get it leveled on that one.
    Think of it more along the lines of a heal over time, that works for you and the 3 lowest group members (especially with weapon buff always active).
  15. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

Very weird. In the tsde runs, it never went to the tank that had it. Always the 1st four names till they fell out of 95% health range.
  16. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Hmm. I wonder if it's just the newest content, that it does that. There's been a couple artifacts that weren't performing right with the newer stuff. Maybe it took priority from the tank because of buffed health in an instance vs open world...
    Hard to tell, now I'm curious lol. But I don't tank 8 man anymore to test it.
  17. August Moon Well-Known Player

The fine print says 4 priority targets not You and up to 3 targets which means theres no guarantee you are gonna be getting your own heals. all of the heals /shields specifically say You and up to 3, you and yourself or all members
  18. Charon Lead Content Designer

We're looking into making sure it prioritizes the owner and some other adjustments. Nothing we will rush out due to not wanting to break things but it'll be in the works.
    • Like x 2
  19. Chewsy Well-Known Player

I've been wanting to run this on an ice or fire tank....has anyone ran endgame content with this setup and think it's viable? If the heal is fixed to prioritize the user, I think it will be a lot more useable.
  20. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

Friend ran it thru tsde normal at 120 and worked well, he’s fire. Dropped Everyman. We were feat hunting so not the greatest test but did very well. For ice, I’m thinking it’s real easy to drop EoG or circes as your 3rd. Ran lots of random bounties on test with mystic manacles clarion and it felt great. I’m thinking of leaving circes for add tanking and then swapping to clarion for boss fights. Without priority to holder, it may be a little less than ideal but you’re still getting heals so still helpful. When priority gets added, it will be a perfect 3rd choice for ice imo
    • Like x 1