Doctor Fate's Daily Rewards - March 2022

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mepps, Feb 28, 2022.

1. Hraesvelg Always Right

I wouldn't be surprised for every Day 1 player like yourself, there is at least a Day 1 player like me who isn't super bothered by this move. I'd be a little irked if they handed out the Beta emblem or Back from the Hack hoodie, but otherwise...play ball.

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on that Elvis outfit or Uncle Sam trinket, personally.
    • Like x 3
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I don't think it's a bad idea financially speaking. With this decision, it's very easy to argue that the devs have both diminished the goodwill behind handing out the hack gifts (at the very least) AND put themselves in a position where they can't be taken at their word.

I've always viewed the hack gifts as the DCUO equivalent of the Elder Jedi gifts that were handed out in Galaxies after the NGE took place. In both cases, the gifts were handed out as an apology (the sudden change in SWG, the hack in DCUO) and as thanks for sticking with the game in question. And even though they added a bunch of new stuff AND threw some old exclusive stuff back into the game after the shutdown of SWG was announced, they never added the Elder Jedi gifts to the mix. Right to the very end of the game, those stayed exclusive to the Elder Jedi players. That kind of goodwill gesture can (and for me did) go a long way towards good feelings toward the company. On top of that, they gave their word and held to it right to the end.

I don't think the same can be said for this game, now. Losing customer goodwill in any sense is not something to be desired, and going back on their word in this fashion is likely to have an effect on any goodwill they have built up. That's why I think this was a really bad idea.
    • Like x 1
  3. Yass Queen Hyppolyta Dedicated Player

I'm a day one player and this doesn't bother me at all. I have the mask, I have a few of the OG booster bundle items-- cosmic material, nimbus, etc-- and I would be fine seeing them come back.

I'm sure the devs have seen the secondary/ in-game market on OG items. Players are selling them for hundreds if not into the thousands of real world dollars. I can imagine they'd rather get in on that by re-offering in some way.

Now, about that Imposter set...
    • Like x 1
  4. Shark Dental Devoted Player

The nice thing about the DCUO devs is that they tend to err on the side of player sentiment. I don't think they would deliberately make a decision that would antagonize a large portion of their player base, whether the word "exclusive" was specifically used or not.

If the majority of the playerbase would be happy and benefit from having certain items return, then they may consider it. That said, are the OG auras really that desirable for any reason other than their OG status? Do they look more attractive? I certainly don't think so personally, so I don't know if releasing them would provide many tangible benefits other than ticking off some of the whales.

Finally, there's a big difference between devs calling something "only available for a limited time" and "get it while it lasts" and actually stating "this item will never return again" or calling it "exclusive." Something that is limited in time may return on a regular basis without being deceptive; it just means that you won't be able to predict or count on getting it again.

I seem to remember a similar uproar when the first time capsules were brought back again in the first resurgence mega capsule. Now everybody just accepts it and purchases accordingly.
  5. Shark Dental Devoted Player

I think this is a big part of the current issue. Players can sometimes assume things that are never promised. Giving a loyalty gift in 2015 doesn't imply that people subbing in 2018 can't receive the same loyalty gift. Both people did the same thing: support the game.

Players didn't subscribe with the promise of that specific gift or as part of a transaction.

Honestly, the players who tested weeks and months on end during the stats revamp probably deserve a more exclusive gift than some day 1 vets who may not have even kept subbing continually (not saying that's you). Yet they got nothing exclusive or special at all.

Edit: For example, I think we all agree that Penryn deserves a special "I am Penryn" hoodie with fireworks shooting from the top to wear in game.
    • Like x 10
  6. Proxystar #Perception

Just going to drop in and leave this here for anyone that seems to think virtual items can't return regardless of words amounting to 'exclusive' or anything for that matter.

5.4. Virtual Items. Daybreak sells a variety of virtual items (“Virtual Items”), which are digital objects such as..adornments...that end users can acquire and use for entertainment purposes in the Daybreak Games. Daybreak reserves the right to add, modify, remove, suspend and reintroduce Virtual Items in the Daybreak Games.

The overriding terms you agreed to as players acknowledged the very premise of what is happening here. I say be glad it was 10 years

Me personally, I'm happy for them to bring back every single item ever sold as any kind of exclusive, keep 'em coming devs.
    • Like x 9
  7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

It's a fair point to make. Because of how contentious that item has always been, it was bound to stir up some feelings and for that reason alone I think it should have been left alone. I'm really big on preventing/avoiding drama before it happens. lol

I'm not gonna go all hyperbolic and into the realm of calling the decision equivalent to being struck with an open hand or anything like that. :D But I can't help but feel that some of the goodwill behind handing out that gift has been diminished because of the decision.
    • Like x 1
  8. Iconic Simulation YouTuber

Mepps said it best:
    I understand the upset from players not into this item coming back for others. It was a very special thing, even if you never wore it. That said, it's a fun mask and it hasn't been in the game for over a decade - so you have felt special for a long, long time.
    • Like x 3
  9. PsySomatic Extra Life 2020

I think a lot of people know that the devs can do whatever they want if they really wanted to do so, I don't think that is the issue, I think it is more of a they said it would be exclusive, or for a limited time, etc.. so it's more of a trust issue, if this is fine now, is something that they say wont ever come back be fine tomorrow, etc
    • Like x 1
  10. MrMigraine Devoted Player

I'm perfectly fine with highly-desired items being made available for those who might not have had a chance at them in 2011: XBox players, Switch players and people who hadn't even been born yet, for example. I tend to shrug at exclusivity.

However, I hope that you also understand and recognize the disappointment of subscribing members who will not be getting any sort of new, nifty bonus on the 21st of the month because they were around for the Hack and already have this particular item.
    • Like x 3
  11. Proxystar #Perception

I understand and appreciate what you're saying, but the reality is, everything you purchase should be done with the foreknowledge that no matter what is said, this clause is always there and it's a common clause held within the terms of virtually every video game in existence.

It has become commonplace over the years within the video game industry for games to eventually start selling off cosmetics that were once exclusive including even those once only available during pre order promotions.

To be fair too, this is also probably done more when the players impacted by the decision to bring something back are so small the negativity spawning from the decision has little to no noise.

The few negative posts we have on the forum here too I can say with virtual assurance would be a massive minority if you were to look at the entire remaining population of this game that is currently active.

In fact the people most likely to still be playing that even have this item still as a result of the Sony hack are those of us most active on the forums even bothering to respond to this thread haha ;)

If you were to ask in game how many people wanted this, most would likely say yes.

I get the disappointment from some that want to protect something they feel is exclusive and I was like this with all my OG stuff, I have every single one, I used to rabidly oppose any prospect of re-opening it, but...

I've got to the point where I've thought, 'you know what', perhaps instead of trying to lock all this cool stuff away in a cupboard so I can feel special, it might actually just be healthier in the long term to also all let the new players in the game have access to some of this cool old stuff as well.

I would hazard a guess they've done the math, looked at their active subscribers, looked who even has this item and it's probably 2-3 people lol
    • Like x 4
  12. Hraesvelg Always Right

I don't think anyone is saying they don't have the RIGHT to do so, but it's a question of trust in the word of a business. If someone is promoted as being available for a limited time and intimated never to return, that puts a pressure on someone to "act fast" and make potentially riskier financial decisions.

I don't think the Hack rewards really apply to that idea like the Booster Bundle styles did, as this wasn't done in a transactional way, it was a gift, a bit of a lagniappe to increase customer satisfaction.

They have a RIGHT to keep the servers offline for 20 hours a day, but you can bet we'd be weighing in on how good of a decision we think that is.
  13. Proxystar #Perception

Sure, but since we use the word 'trust' I also 'trust' that they will impose/use other terms of service. I guess this is potentially a little more subjective, but I never buy anything sold to me because it's sold as "limited", because I'm always a cynical skeptic, I always suspect they have a thousand more out the back :D

I just buy it because I like it/want it.

But no, seriously, I get the disappointment I just also think a time does come where the benefits from throwing things, once exclusive or rare, at new players in a tactful way isn't a bad idea and outweighs any negative sentiment.

Especially when it helps encourage people to play/pay the game and at the end of the day I'd rather have active, happy players, than an owlman/bat mask, only I have, in a dead game :)
    • Like x 4
  14. Iconic Simulation YouTuber

Yeah they be making it sound like half of the player base ain't getting a new day 21 reward. Lol
    • Like x 3
  15. PsySomatic Extra Life 2020

I have been fine with them bringing stuff back for a few years now, as I am very much a player that just rolls with whatever the heck happens in the game, as ultimately it's their game and we are just playing it. :D

But I was just adding what I assume the point of view is on those players that are not happy with this decision.
  16. Dubb Lantern Well-Known Player

Can’t wait to get Superman’s 80th anniversary emblem next month.
    • Like x 1
  17. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

This is factually incorrect. Remember that for 10-11 years, that mask was only available to your characters that existed in the game AT THE TIME OF THE HACK AND THE RETURN FROM THE HACK! For over a decade, any new character you created was unable to have that mask. NOW THEY CAN! YOU ARE STILL GETTING AN EXTRA ONE FOR FREE THAT YOU CAN CLAIM ON WHATEVER CHARACTER YOU WISH!!!

And then, a handful of months from now, you'll be able to go to the Dr. Fate Vendor and buy additional ones for as many characters as you wish!!!!

Sweet Baby Jeebus, I'd hate to see what kind of a stink you idiots raised with both Apple Computer and AT&T Wireless when AT&T's Exclusivity on the id10tPhone ended after 4 years, allowing that piece of junk that CRIPPLED AT&T's whole cellular network to go to other cell phone carriers! "Listen up, (Random AT&T CSR who definitely is NOT paid enough to put up with this nonsense) how DARE YOU let the iPhone go to Verizon Wireless now! I gave up a super-cheap rate plan I can never get back to come to you because you told me I could NEVER get the iPhone anywhere else, that it was EXCLUSIVE to AT&T! I DEMAND you honor that statement FOREVER, OR ELSE!!!!" :rolleyes:
    • Like x 5
  18. Proxystar #Perception

LOL, I'd be worried this game is dying quicker than we all think if half the active player base still have this mask, that only reinforces the need to entice fresh blood ;)

Yeah, that's cool, I do understand their disappointment, I just don't sympathize with it, as I don't share the view, it's cool though.
    • Like x 4
  19. PsySomatic Extra Life 2020

That likely wont come back because WB/DC only allowed them to use it for a specific time frame. If they brought it back without the permission of WB/DC, that probably wouldn't end well for the game.
    • Like x 2
  20. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

Also with those “Limited Time Offers” where the salesman pressures you to act now because this offer is only good for X amount of time, that is a serious Red Flag. I would suggest running the other way.
    • Like x 1