DCUO Development Update - February 2022

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Panderus, Feb 16, 2022.

1. Panderus Senior Producer

DEVELOPMENT UPDATE - FEBRUARY 2022

Hello! Welcome to DCUO's 12th year! Please read on for your February 2022 Development Update to learn more about what the team has been up to and what's next for DC Universe Online.

What follows are our plans laid out as transparently as possible based what we know or expect to be true - as of right now.

Plans can always change.

NEWS

If you do not read this whole update, here's what you need to know:
    • Episode 43 is DARK KNIGHTS, out this April!
    • Blue Beetle style concept art is out!
    Let's catch up on what we have been working on.

PREVIOUSLY ON DCUO: OCTOBER-JANUARY

2021, oh how we miss you already. October and November brought us the Wondrous Time Capsule, Wonder Woman-themed Save the Universe content, Wonder Woman Day gifts, Fall Fest, the Witching Hour, a Booster Bundle, all kinds of sales and bonus weeks, and new daily rewards. December kicked off Season's Greedings, more sales, and of course Episode 42: Legion of Doom!

Legion of Doom felt like a great way to end the year and kick off the next - and not just because of the impending doom we face in the world! Villain-focused episodes always feel special, and taking this set of villains into real-world locations like Washington D.C. really added a spark to what was in many ways a traditional DCUO episode. We hope you enjoyed it as much as we did.

January flew by with more daily rewards and the anniversary event and gifts. So many gifts. We were also very pleased by the response to the new House of Legends lair and the new dormitory area. Keep sharing your bases with us!

NEXT ON DCUO: FEBRUARY-APRIL

In the next few months, we'll have returning Valentine's Day and St. Patrick's Day seasonal events, a new Time Capsule, and a new ally: Bombshell Harley Quinn. We will also see the launch of updated Daily Rewards and Custom Play (On Duty) interfaces, and continuing refinements to Omnibus, with a focus on balancing scaled elite content.

And before you know it, April will be here with the launch of Episode 43: Dark Knights!

[IMG]
    Dark Nights Death Metal, 2020

Episode 43: Dark Knights

This is the end. The world's finest have failed.

Perpetua has escaped the Source Wall and is remaking the Multiverse, destroying good worlds and siphoning power from evil worlds. She has turned The Batman Who Laughs loose to create his own twisted realities. And with this kind of power, nothing and no one can stop her.

That's where you come in. A desperate alliance of this world's heroes and villains are meeting in a battered Washington D.C. to plan an attack against Perpetua and her sources of power. Stand and fight, or all worlds will fall.

DARK KNIGHTS is a direct continuation of the stories told in LEGION OF DOOM and a conclusion to the events that began in METAL PART I, METAL PART II, BIRDS OF PREY, WONDERVERSE, and HOUSE OF LEGENDS.

Rob's Take: "The only thing more exciting than getting to tell a story over this many episodes is finally getting to end it. This will be an explosive conclusion with an enormous cast of DC Super Heroes and Super-Villains, and our players at the center. Players will face not only Perpetua, but the gathered Dark Knights, and the stakes could not be higher." - Rob "Charon" Frazier, Lead Content Designer

THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT DARK KNIGHTS:
    • DARK KNIGHTS will offer normal and elite versions of all On Duty content, along with level-agnostic event versions available for a limited time.
    • The content will include open world missions and bosses, with a duo, alert, and raid.
    • The episode will feature characters from Dark Knights: Death Metal, including Perpetua, Devastator, Darkfather, and Murder Machine.
    • The storyline will include adventures set across the Multiverse, including at the Source Wall itself and in a (mostly) destroyed version of Washington D.C.
    • The episode will launch new player rewards, including gear, styles, base items, and more.
    EPISODE 43: DARK KNIGHTS will launch in April 2022 on PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch.

NEXT AT DIMENSIONAL INK: MAY-JUNE

Moving on! It goes without saying that when Episode 43 is complete, we'll roll into work on Episode 44, which will be due out this summer. We will also work on a very special Booster Bundle, further Omnibus refinement, and this year's spring and summer seasonal events, with new rewards the team is way too excited about. You should see the amount of jaws dropping in each of these planning meetings.

Perhaps even surpassing that level of excitement, though, the team will begin work on everyone's next favorite ally: KRYPTO! Good dog!

And finally, really, the community-requested Blue Beetle style will finally, really, launch for everyone in June as part of Doctor Fate's Daily Rewards (for everyone). It has been a long road and we look forward to both sharing the style with you and how we got from concept to something we can wear in-game.

Speaking of concept:

[IMG]
    Blue Beetle Style Early Concept Art (WORK IN PROGRESS)

NEXT ON DCUO: JULY - THE FUTURE

In the second half of 2022, we are planning for Episodes 44 and 45, a native PS5 client, new allies and artifacts, and at least one more new lair. We are also working on a NEW seasonal event and a NEW feature system that I wish we could talk about right now!

Of course, the traditional seasonal events will return, too, and we'll continue to refine our existing systems, fix bugs, and slip in your feedback everywhere we can.

That's this year as we have it right now. More on the future as we live it.

CALENDAR

If paragraphs are not your thing, maybe calendars are!

[IMG]

Thank you for reading this February 2022 Development Update! Please join the discussion below and let us know what you think.

Landon "Panderus" Falls
    Senior Producer
    DC Universe Online
    • Like x 26
  2. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

All sounds cool.

Is the plan to phase out the PS4 when the Native PS5 client launches, or will they run parallel for some time? If parallel, what is the expected EOL for the PS4 client/access?

Not sure if you guys know this, but PS5s are still kind of hard to get.
    • Like x 4
  3. Aren Sul Committed Player

Super excited for the Blue Beetle (I voted!) and hope to see Jaime Reyes in game soon as well. The new episode looks like an excellent way to wrap up the Metal storyline - kudos from start to finish.

Speaking of seeing DC characters, with the new Dark Crisis line coming out this summer along with changes that are going on in DC Comics right now, I'm also hoping (and praying) to see some of the next Gen of the JL team. That would mean adding some new characters in their new roles, among which are (at least):
    • Jonathan Kent
    • Jackson Hyde
    • Yara Flor
    And, mainly because Bruno Redondo's artwork is knocking it out of the park, a slight refresh of the Nightwing costume to match the current one.
    • Like x 4
  4. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

It all sounds great. Except for the only 1 raid thing again. Looks like another episode my league and friends will only play for a month before we head back to ESO and other games
    • Like x 1
  5. Harlequin_Nox Committed Player

Please make the wings move, and move quickly, like the Insectoid back style. It's always disappointing to see other new styles that either move too slowly to suit high-speed flight or don't move at all - and from the concept art, I'd really like to be able to use these. ^_^

All of the rest sounds great. :)
    • Like x 3
  6. Elveralas New Player

thanks but where Survival Mode?))) im wait 9 month but it probably won't be this year....
    • Like x 1
  7. Eve YouTuber

Holly- I I can't I'm so excited. New seasonal?! Krypto? Blue Beetle Style? THE NEXT EPISPDE CONCLUDES METAL? AHH

Edit: NEW LAIR
    • Like x 4
  8. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Nothing at all is planned to end PS4 support. Probably closer to PS6 or PS7 time.
    • Like x 13
  9. Siramez Well-Known Player

which is, for anyone out there, is a very long time since it will take sony about 6-7 years before they start making PS6 (based on previous generations), so if you have a ps4 and cant get ps5 (eff scalpers) you're fine.
    • Like x 3
  10. BumblingB I got better.

So the Beetle style will be the 290(free) and 305(sub) gear or added in a box altogether?

This is a good timeline and I can see why it took a moment to give us this letter. Deciding on things like PS5 native this year or next as well as what will come out for the next episode.

Though I don't really care about the Metal story, I'm glad it will be finally finished. Hope we get some more unique stories or delve into ones that were never finished. Like Black Adam and WW3. Which would fit with the launch of the BA movie.

I really like elite being on all content and I appreciate the balancing for EEG Elite.

Thank you.
    • Like x 5
  11. Mister Hando Active Player

Krypto ?... :( I want Teekl as ally.^^
    • Like x 3
  12. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

Are there any plans, or is it even feasible, for cross platform account merging?
  13. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

I'm still waiting for Dex-Starr to make his appearance as either a base pet or ally.
    • Like x 6
  14. Siramez Well-Known Player

dont quote me but i think it is feasible but highly risky.
  15. PrincessBunny Well-Known Player

This all sounds Exciting!

Was Wondering maybe things can get updated for the league halls, like a New League Hall, Increase of Items being placed in the league hall like we got for lairs. No Limits on Prestige since we can run content over and over and some players come back for lets say a month and run non stop stuff then they leave for awhile and we max out at 400k, can this please be looked at and updated as well.

Thank you,
    • Like x 2
  16. Jafin 10000 Post Club

[IMG]

All sounds great! Very happy to hear about a new feature system coming, can't wait to find out what it is! I'm glad to be getting to the end of the Dark Knights storyline. Not that I didn't like it or anything, but it's always nice to get a conclusion to a long running storyline.

Blue Beetle style looks great! I know it probably can't be answered right now, but I really hope the wings work in a way that they only get activated when you're flying/gliding, and when not in use they retract into the scarab. I know I asked about something like this many years ago for a potential Batman Beyond style (before we got it) and the answer at the time was that the tech didn't allow for the wings to appear and disappear, but I know you all have overcome many tech limitations in the past and will continue to do so in the future.

Edit: after looking at the concept art again I see that the scarab is actually part of the chest piece. Nevermind.
    • Like x 2
  17. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

I don't ever expect this to be something we can do.
    • Like x 3
  18. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Cool...maybe by P7 I'll be able to find a P5 at retail. Hope-hope-hope.
    • Like x 3
  19. GLKenny New Player

The new stuff looks great, and always glad to see a roadmap. However, I'm disappointed that this is yet another episode without a solo queue. The last one was in Wonderverse. We don't currently have any End Game solos, and still wont when the new episode drops.

Have they been phased out, only to reappear during StU events?
    • Like x 2
  20. Trended Active Player

You say very special booster bundle could you elaborate?
    • Like x 1