The Importance of Solo Play in DCUO

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by MrMigraine, Mar 14, 2016.

1. willflynne 10000 Post Club

No problem, never hurts to double check the dates on the posts if something seems off. :)
  2. Max Maximus Well-Known Player

I also have the same gaming experience as you. More solo play than group play and a small league.
    • Like x 3
  3. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

I think more solo content would be more on par with the lore of Superheroes. The great thing about 0-30 is that it reads like a comic book. You, with the guidance of your mentor, go through adventures honing your skills while you solve mysteries and save the city. This is what comic book heroes do. Most are solo. You have exceptions like the Lanterns or X-Men but Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Spiderman, Iron Man, Aquaman, Thor, Hulk all went it alone. They may have had help from time to time but these adventures were pretty much solo. Same with here when you start. You may get advice from your mentor but they don't show up to help you with the exception of the Level 15 mission. You can choose to partner up with another player but that's a matter of choice, not a requirement. Maybe in the future they can put a solo mission into an update where you're given a set number of objectives culminating in a solo boss fight instead of the same tired content they have now which no matter what it is(Doomed D.C., Anti-Matter Metropolis, Flashpoint Gotham, etc.), it's the same wash, rinse, repeat content.
    • Like x 1
  4. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

Especially considering there are skill points tied to completing briefings and investigations and even styles.
  5. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

Are they spending money? Then yes. Why should the groups get all the accolades? I spend money on this game hence I'm entitled to the same stuff the groups get. Not marks. Marks should be set by size of group: Solo- 1 mark, Duo-2 marks, and so forth and so on but when it comes to drops and gear you're damned right the solo player should get the same.
    • Like x 3
  6. willflynne 10000 Post Club

The gear/style vendors do help with that quite a bit, with prices reflecting how easy/hard it is to get that stuff. The Elite styles are really the only ones not available through that method, which I'm a little torn on. Getting the feats from the styles or just the styles themselves would be nice, but it's very easy to imagine some REALLY high Mark costs to get them. Plus I think there is a valid argument to be made about having that be something special for the folks actually running that content.

But again, that still leaves the items from Investigations and Briefings out of the loop, never mind getting to read/hear the lore associated with those. That keeps sticking in my mind a bit, it just seems like there could be a path for solo players to get access to those in some way without detracting from having that behind content walls.
  7. MrMigraine Devoted Player

Good times and bum times.
    I've seen 'em all, and my dear ...

... I'm still here. :)
    • Like x 6
  8. Drathmor Unwavering Player

lol looks like Migraine beat me to it but I was going to say, you would be mistaken.
    • Like x 1
  9. Monkeyboy Committed Player

No, they shouldn't even if they pay $$$. Spending $$$ only gets you the right to play all content or w/e you spend it on. If you want group accolades as a solo player, then play group content.
  10. Irvynnge Loyal Player

my villy league has 9 members, my hero league has 6. all owned by 1 people. me. ).
    • Like x 4
  11. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

Aren't you cute.
    • Like x 1
  12. Monkeyboy Committed Player

Can't argue with that logic!
  13. Boss Dark Side Well-Known Player

Put me down for more solo content!

I, for one, would like to see a shift away from group content only to a hybrid play style. In Star Trek Online, the overall story unfolds through solo content, than can be run in groups, if so desired. But the story itself is based around solo play.

There is also PvE content. This content is an offshoot of the main story, but tied in. Perhaps the bigger aspect of a battle you participate in during the solo story, for example. PvE content has a specific set of rewards not avail through the solo story and provides greater currency rewards.

Both forms of content are incentivized. However, to progress through the main story and advance your character, only solo play is REQUIRED.

The exact nature of that game may not be compatible with DCUO as is (due to all the history established) but it's a direction to think about and adapt as much as possible.
    • Like x 3
  14. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

I actually enjoy running group content but I don't enjoy the Toxicity that comes with it, I agree with both sides having a point, but since rewards is measured by difficulty more than how many people you're running instance with, then tbf, the content's difficulty for Solo players should be raised and reward system should better compensate Solo players so there can always be another route, Hell there be some times I don't want to be bothered but Solo content just isn't that rewarding to run imo.
  15. Aren Sul Committed Player

Since this is still active, I'll say I'm on the side of more solo content for personal, but logical, reasons.
    • I play group content
    • I play solo content
    • I have 14 characters.
      • 1 character is primary - all my group content is on that one
      • 4 ('A Team') engage in group content at various amounts
      • The others - almost entirely solo content, occasionally Omnibus
    • I spend about 10-ish hours a week on the primary
    • I easily spend about 20+ hours a week on all the others combined
    So, I spend far more time doing solo content. I tried to keep my alts at different CR levels so the content stays varied, but most are now at the current and previous episodes. So, more solo content would be more fun and engaging for me.
    In addition, I would love to see us get back to having both a solo and duo for each new episode, even if the solo is only a portion of the duo to save on development.
    • Like x 2
  16. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Here's the one thing that people asking for more solo content aren't taking into consideration: More solo content means less group content. So you would be happy, but the rest of us get $crewed over. We don't have the option of more solo content while maintaining the same amount of group content, so we'd wind up getting the short end of the stick. As it is now, we've been getting short changed for a while now (Doom, Legion, Wonderverse), I really don't want to see more of that or worse.
    • Like x 1
  17. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

It wasn't the compliment you thought it was but how about this one: bless your heart.
    • Like x 1
  18. Kaistyle2 New Player

While I love doing the solo content, I wouldn't enjoy it if Daybreak cut down group content drastically just to make a few more solo content. However, I would love it if they went back and made more of the older content that required groups be accessible for solo for those who want to experience the story without being forced into a speedrun through the content. I've been through plenty of duos, alerts, and even some raids where instead of being able to take in the atmosphere and go hunting for investigations/ briefings, hidden secrets /feats, everyone is full zoom mode. Even had moments where right after a group was done I was rushing back to try and find everything we skipped over....only to be kicked from the instance as if I went through the exit. I know I am repeating others here but it does not help that most of the older content is skipped over (because players are LFG for newer content) or trying to find a group to do said secrets / feats is dependent on being on at certain times of day/ week if you are lucky even for that.

Likewise, I understand that some of the older content requires more people due to certain mechanics that show up for either bosses or along the way to finishing the content. Some bosses trap players and their fellow players have to do things to release them (Gotham Courthouse), or players have to defend a room while others are draining water from another (that Aquaman raid) so trying to duo or solo those would be nigh impossible without changing the raids/alerts entirely. The AI NPC wouldn't be that trustworthy since (like others have pointed out) they attack the closest enemy instead of doing whatever they may be required of doing.
  19. Reese New Player

I know this is an old thread but I couldn't agree more....there are other MMO's out there that let you do the game as a solo but make teaming up optional that way everyone can play their way. Why not set difficulty levels to go along with it...normal for solos players and make harder levels requireing more players. Everyone wins! I like seeing other heros it makes the world more alive however after working all week with people, meetings etc..I want a nice quiet place to RP my own hero in his own adventures!
    • Like x 1
  20. Limey Committed Player

You're in luck! Every open world zone has solo missions, and there's an entire category of solo instances to queue for! Wish granted!
    • Like x 1