Allies as bad story-telling

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Enemy Ace, Feb 2, 2022.

1. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

Here i am again, pointing to the lack of new character animations. I mean my gosh can we Atleast get a rework to the handblaster idol pose
    • Like x 1
  2. Plowed In Loyal Player

Why?
    • Like x 1
  3. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

????
    You assume that everyone would have used the same Batman.

Already some use Flashpoint Batman... and others use Batman Who Laughs.

if you offer even more Batman options....
    DCUO Batman
    Classic Batman
    Future Batman
    Modern Batman
    Nu52 Batman
    Dark Knight Batman

You would have a lot of different Batman.
    And that is assuming everyone uses Batman.

Many would use Superman... and there also you could have multiple options.
    Red Son Superman
    Classic Superman

Same with Wonder Woman.
    Heck right now we have Flashpoint WW and Nubia.
    Add more WW into the mix and you will have different versions.

And then add ALL the Flashes they could add.
    All the Green Lanterns.
    All the Ambush Bugs. ;)

Sure early on the pool of characters would have been limited.....
    so you might have the same characters a lot at first....
    but as they would have added more and more characters to use.... that would not be an issue.

But it doesn't matter at this point.... what we have is the Ally system. :(
  4. Plowed In Loyal Player

Just like we have 5 or so T3 pets that do pretty much the exact same damage rotation…however someone posts #s and now their is a “best” pet that becomes the meta? You can introduce 20 Batman variations…eventually there will be a “proclaimed” best for dps and then poof, 20 of the same Batman. :)
    • Like x 1
  5. Melusine Midnight Rainbow Phoenix

Well, don't lose hope. What we have for now, is the ally system. But allies don't mean we could never get new skins for Sidekicks and/or Robot Sidekick. So long as there are other versions of heroes and villains to use, (and as you point out, there are a ton!) there will always be more options for the future.

It was quite a while before we started getting new Henchmen, and even longer for Orbital and Supply re-skins. There's always room for growth.
    • Like x 1
  6. Grim931 Committed Player

Something else they could have done, or possibly still could do, is give us new powers based on the ally we level up. Like a more in depth mentor system, we call them in to help but also "learn" from them in the process.

They could give us a few of their iconic abilities based on how many ranks we achieve, or start adding levels to them later on. That would make up for the lack of them remaining on the battlefield for me, and I'm all for introducing more variety to our existing power sets. Especially if they aren't going to develop any new powers.
    • Like x 2
  7. Eve YouTuber

Would love having Donna Troy with me at all times. But I'll settle for being able to summon her at battle I guess (For now).
    • Like x 1
  8. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

There is a whole lot of complaining here over things that have been answered by the devs.

Allies can not stay out for the whole fight because tanks have been complaining about being blocked in by pets and henchman. Now they wouldve had to deal with an additional 8 bodies per fight. This is what they decided to make sure the maps did not get to clustered.

And the whole "Not very heroic for them to just leave" is a dumb response. How many times in superhero movies has a hero left the fight to go save civilians? Just look at the Justice league movie (snyder cut?) where the flash literally leaves to go save kids on a bus. Its literally what they do. The dcuo community itself is not very heroic. "Yes we beat the boss but all the civilians died, oh well". Or how many times have players used orbital on the TSD raid know full well what would happen just because they want to chase the almighty scoreboard. So heroes attacking and running to go save someone is exactly what they do. Villains leaving to save their own skin is what they do too. So that argument is very false.
    • Like x 2
  9. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

Sum dont sit right w my character being hunched over like that w his arms back.
  10. Leonite Well-Known Player

Iconic heroes (and villains) are not sidekicks. They should be summoning us instead!

Seriously, it will take some time to get adjusted to adding the allies in our rotations. Heck, I have yet to consistently use my trinket in between fights! But, hey, they do quite a good amount of damage when I remember to call them so I am happy with this addition.
  11. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Hope you don't have to wait too long for a Donna Troy Ally. ;)
    • Like x 1
  12. DAnomalous Level 30

I think by far the worst part of the system is how we are essentially paying/buying heroes caring about and trying to help us. We are feeding an exp bar and ranking them up despite not actually having any interaction with the characters. We have more interactivity with Cyborg and he's essentially just a broker for some hired help.

Instead be doing a daily quest that specifically helps out and works with our allies that endears us to them and simulaties a genuine working friendship/partnership. As you help them more they trust and respect you more and help you more. You could also have some dialog or chill out/activity time with them in order to get to know the characters better, where you could teach the playerbase about the character's history etc. so that its not all combat based.

There are some villains where just outright buying/paying them makes sense. The mercs like Deadshot, Deathstroke, Lady Vic etc. But funnily enough we dont really have any of those as options for allies right now, I guess Calculator would be the closest.
  13. PsySomatic Extra Life 2020

While I agree that the ally system can be better, I'm not going to claim that no one asked for it. Because we don't have access to that information, we can't see the devs private messages, and I very much doubt any of us have went through every single post on these forums, on their facebook, twitter, instagram, etc.

But anyhow, on your comparison with DCUO and Fornite, it doesn't really make sense, and you're implying that the devs could even be lying to us about DC not allowing them to do stuff.

While I love DCUO, Fortnite in terms of popularity and money they generate, it is on a ridiculously massive different level than DCUO.

Fortnite has generated billions of dollars a year for the past few years, if DCUO was bringing in Fortnite money, DC would likely allow damn near anything the devs wanted. :D
  14. Enemy Ace Well-Known Player

Well, I'm not asking Barry Allen to move in with me, just to stick around long enough so that I'm no longer in any trouble. You know, like he would in every situation he's ever been written in.
  15. Leonite Well-Known Player

Be careful what you ask for, he might instead carry you back to the Watchtower where you will no longer be any trouble :)
    • Like x 1
  16. DAnomalous Level 30

No collision, very simple fix
  17. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Except I literally just wrote a situation where he didn’t stick around and went of to save civilians to later return. Guess what? It’s the same here. They come in to help go off and if you call them back, they return. It’s as if what they do in game is how they have acted in movies and comics. You don’t have 20 heroes just smashing fist against a bad guy. You have some fight, while others go off to do other tasks. If heroes just mindlessly stayed and fight for the whole time some of those civilians would be dead. So again, kinda how they do in game.
  18. Enemy Ace Well-Known Player

I might use this next time a group isn't working out. "Sorry guys, I'm outta here, got some kids to save!"
  19. Drewbolt Greatest Healer of this Generation

Being at max favor with an ally means the ally barely has time to throw 3 bombs and then dip. I want Cyborg to earn favor with me so I can show up during his fight for 1.5 seconds, drop mini nuke, and then dip. Heck, maybe he'll call for my help 3 times in a raid, and I'll just drop everything I'm doing because he's my best bud and show up for another 1.5 seconds. Maybe he'll call for my aid every 90 seconds, and when I'm not helping him fight for his life, I'll just be checking broker prices for 88.5 seconds at a time, waiting for him summon me again. I definitely cannot be bothered to help for extended periods of times, though. #bestbudsforlife
  20. DAnomalous Level 30

One very telling thing you can do is just inspect the players around you that are out in the world doing stuff or in your groups. I find that the vast majority of people I see have either oracle or calculator alone, or nubia +1 of the others and no 3rd ally. That tells me the system in its current design isnt interesting people past being given the tutorial ally and the one you get for opening capsules

They have current tier gear, usually near cr cap from normal non elite content, they have 3 artifacts although usually not levelled past 100. But for allies they havent even bought 1 to use the active skill, with nubia and the tutorial reward levelled enough to use as passives.
    • Like x 1