We need alternative options to stats clamping...

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by STsource, Jan 22, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catastroflare Well-Known Player

Yet people did before a stat clamped was in place, right? Should the devs refund those and make those players earn them like everyone has to now? No? So I guess those of us who couldn't take advantage of that period were just unlucky?

And why do you feel feats should be gated by the stat clamp anyway? Don't you think allowing more of the player base to freely access feats would benefit the DCUO community overall? Especially seeing as how they are directly tied to a character's stat development?
    • Like x 2
  2. Drathmor Unwavering Player

you meaning merge LFG? as that would drastically help that issue and population issues.
    I do feel thats already coming soon as we all become antiheroes (thats what I thinks going to happen)
  3. Requake Dedicated Player

I'm sure there's people that couldn't complete certain raids, with our without clamping. Especially the ones where you have to do mechanics or interact with certain objects.
    Going into portals to do some side objective, FVe comes to mind, people usually don't want to do it and just want to pewpew.
    • Like x 1
  4. Drathmor Unwavering Player

noone should have been able to steam roll the game its the biggest reason why so many of the player base doesn't know the mechanics of the content
    and why there complaining now because they cant get through them
    • Like x 3
  5. Melusine Midnight Rainbow Phoenix

Question for the group -
    How do y'all feel about the option to remove all clamping and all rewards, including feats, styles, loot, just everything? Leaving only the opportunity to practice and engage with the mechanics of any instance, totally unclamped.

Personally, I think that would be a cool thing. I'd use it to blast past ads and then focus on teaching mechanics in a less-threatening environment. Failure and success would be irrelevant, there would be no consequences, just the opportunity to interact, and I think that would be a good thing.

I've seen this idea floated in here several times, but always in what I would call a confrontational manner. Taking a step back from which side of clamping you might be on, does this option have merit? I think yes, as it provides currently inaccessible, but already extant learning tools to the player base.
    • Like x 1
  6. Catastroflare Well-Known Player

So why are you so concerned with what mechanics other players know or don't? Do you play with randoms and PUGs all the time? Is there content they are keeping you from succeeding in because of this concern?

The bottom line is this game is over 10 years old at this point; it's more at the end than the middle.
    The point I'm making is, going forward, the devs should be doing what they can to allow new players at this point to catch up more quickly to older players and CR skipping isn't the answer and does nothing to bridge the gap between new and old. And in my perspective, CR skips are actually worse than more accessible feats.

Gating anything that contributes to steady SP gain in older and outdated (not popular) content is definitely wrong and not the right approach an MMO should take in its twilight. Yes, we can always buy feats with real money and TCs, but that shouldn't be the only easy path forward to getting feats.
    • Like x 2
  7. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Meh...for the unloved runs....I doubt it will help on either side. The vils will benefit for regular runs for sure. Not sure how if I'm trying to put together a DWFE Omega/Omega run on the hero side, adding 18 or 19 Villains that might be on at the same time will make much of a difference. Still worth having, but maybe not worth the effort to code as apparently there are issues with that.

*Kidding...I know there are at LEAST 25 villain players.
    • Like x 1
  8. Drathmor Unwavering Player

as far as the rest there is no barrier to completing feats besides your own skill. saying other wise is just a player saying I want these handed to them in which case you can already buy plenty of SP.

besides that a good player can have 100 SP and still outperform most with hundreds

SP is not an indicator of skill
    • Like x 2
  9. Melusine Midnight Rainbow Phoenix

Totally agree with you about gate-keeping, but it should be pointed out that endless source marks mean you can buy an unprecedented amount of styles (of the best things about DLC 41), artifacts and catalysts, gain those goofy merit tokens, and find numerous other pathways to easy feats.

I think it's important not to conflate the issues of available feats that can be purchased in-game -- which is WAY up since DLC 41, as are the drops themselves for free style feats, with the issue of gate-keeping in instanced content. Which is also up since DLC 41, since people can't faceroll-carry in the same ways as they used to.
    • Like x 1
  10. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I think if they were going to do that it's a lot of work for little return, so I doubt it would happen. I'd assume if a clamp option were going to be put in (it won't be) the unclamped would be as it was pre-clamp...meaning feats and old gear choosers and loot locks in tact, no current gear or out of relevancy marks (besides the single chooser one).

I don't see it happening, which is why it's not worth still discussing and believe me I did my fair share of discussing. If it were going to be made an option or rolled back, it would have happened by now. The clamp is here, we'll just have to adapt or lobby for smaller changes like more 'piercing' or a change in CR differential....or just avoid it, just like those who 'love' it can continue to lobby for ways to force people to run it how they want or complain when it's got the issues that were designed into the system.

Hmmmm.....more piercings? Ow...
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  11. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

Yep yep, I was there hanging out with Ryuko (Solowing). :D
  12. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

I agree that CR skips is not a good idea. It should only be allowed to players who have already leveled all the way to 30. Not only that but the game tutorial needs a serious update. They removed the block tutorial. Having these tutorials that are important to the game should be priority because as well know players don’t know these mechanics and when they CR skip and end up at an instance that you need to be aware of the skulls and to block it’s going to be chaotic and problematic.
    • Like x 1
  13. Catastroflare Well-Known Player

So your idea of "earning" is much higher then, meaning, if someone wants a feat they have to "earn" it with skill. If that's truly the case, how is them not queuing up for content (than no one really does anymore), completing it, not earning it? Where does it say skill is a requirement?

I recently did the League of Assassins 4-man alert and got some feats as a low CR alt. My alt basically got carried by the group and I didn't even do a fraction of damage to the boss. Did I earn the feats I was granted? How was my "skill"? Must have been good enough to get the feats, right?

I don't understand this double standard players like you have in this game. Talk about pseudo-elitism at its worst.

Sounds like this game is even more unbalanced than many think or believe.

Yet, you claim players have to "earn" feats by skill. You're contradicting yourself. So which is it?

And how much "skill" does it take to open a bunch of bought TCs with real money, hmm?

/eyeroll
    • Like x 4
  14. Drathmor Unwavering Player

I read your responses and all I see is you and others. purposely want to be bad at this game and still succeed as well as someone who has worked for it. not wanting that to be possible is not elitism its wanting a stronger playerbase so that we dont have to see threads like this one asking for everything to be easier.

no-one deserves to be great if they don't strive for greatness.
    • Like x 1
  15. Catastroflare Well-Known Player

You know nothing about me. But I'm not surprised you'd think like this, especially based on some of your replies here and in other threads.

You should learn to assume less.
    Hahahahahahah thanks for that. I needed the lulz.

Psst it's a video game where you pretend to be a superhero/villain, bro. Not a real job in the real world that pays real money that really matters.

Pseudo-elitism at its best right here.
    • Like x 3
  16. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Here's the answer to your question: In endgame content, it's completely expected that as you get better/more gear/higher CR you get stronger. For the people who need to get a little stronger to stand a better chance of either beating the content or getting feats, you still get a little bit of the "Over gear it in order to beat it" promise of the past.

So why not allow that in Early End Game content as well? Simple, with the 15+ CR boost along with bleed through from Artifacts, Augments, Stat Points and Allies, we are already at a distinct advantage vs players being boosted up to content level. So if they gave us the same 40+ CR advantage we get in Endgame we would effectively trivialize the content (maybe not YOU per se, but the people who are good at using these advantages to great effect), and we could again carry lower level players (robbing them of the opportunity to learn and participate). That was a problem before for some players, and not something the Devs want to return.
    • Like x 1
  17. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Clamping means players have to deal with and engage in the mechanics of the instance. They may not pack as much of a punch as they did when at level/CR, but you still have to deal with them.
    • Like x 1
  18. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

This still does not make any sense to me. Why is this not the case between EP. 39 and Ep. 42? Why can’t clamped be proportional like it is between Ep. 39 & Ep. 42
    • Like x 1
  19. 23rd Emperor Active Player

I definitely agree with the idea that players should be able to decide optionally whether or not they want stats clamping and would like to add that it should be only optionally for solo instances and instances where the players are all in a group before they enter the instance so everyone agrees that the stats should or shouldn't be clamped in order to make the game more balanced so too much people join in on one side and the other side of the matchmaking seems dead.
  20. BumblingB I got better.

I believe Charon was commenting on this during it's drop to test and after it hit live. They have reduced the damage and health of all content in EEG to compensate for the clamping of stats. They have also included EEG buffs to players as well as even more buffs to players being boosted up.

In the end of the day, the +15 is just a number they set for the general idea of what stats you would have at that level. All EEG content has been made easier than when they were first introduced at level and they very much want to know about those instances that are people talked about having too much difficulty. As they would be outliers.

BTW, this is what the patchnotes said when WV went to EEG:
    [IMG]

They removed any extra stats they had while in unclamped content. So I don't know if you would take that as a nerf or a conversion.
    • Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.