Further Account Actions Taken Today

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mepps, Jan 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DCUO Addict Committed Player

What you are saying does not make sense to me. Here is the sequence of events:
    1. Player raises level of artifact within the bounds of the rules (i.e., using materials gained through gameplay or purchased on the marketplace).
    2. Player violates the terms of service by exploiting an issue with the fortification system.
    3. As a consequence of violating the terms of service, Player forfeits the account.
    4. Using the company's own discretion, Dimensional Ink restores the account to the player, without the tainted artifacts.
    The only theft was in step #2 when the player used the exploit. DI is using its discretion to restore access to the forfeited accounts in cases that they deem less egregious and also using its discretion to not restore access to the artifacts.
  2. Plowed In Loyal Player

It can’t be theft if you never owned them to begin with. They (DI) can adjust digital items as they wish. If you choose to continue playing and choose to spend money on leveling materials; that’s on you.
    • Like x 2
  3. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

I suppose someone will always find the most cynical perspective possible. In my experience, high spending or whatever players will just make a new account. So, no, us *not* closing the account was probably not the best way to go if the goal in here was to use this disaster of an exploit to maximize revenue. Which it wasn't.

The goal was to hand out a powerful punishment while also keeping our response proportional to players' actions. What is the virtue of a proportional response?

For those that think this action was so minor as to encourage future exploiting, I think the amount of tears flowing everywhere reject that conclusion.

But carry on.
    • Like x 23
  4. Apollonia Dedicated Player

You seem to have skimmed over the point about repeat offenders being perm banned. I feel confident assuming this would include anyone who had a strike against their account prior to this event -- not just players who were involved in this event multiple times.
    • Like x 4
  5. Ryll Committed Player

It isn't a theft of digital items. It's the not completing of a digital transaction. A player buys a seal of completion and uses it before the glitch.

Used the glitch and eventually gets their artifact zeroed as punishment.

What happens to the money spent on the seal of completion? That's the point I am trying to make.
  6. Ryll Committed Player

In your first step....purchased on the marketplace.....what happens to those purchases after the rest of the steps in your example? What happens to that money? That's the point I am trying to make.
  7. Ryll Committed Player

Essentially. See my most current replies above this post.
  8. Sentiency Well-Known Player

But how was it proportional to the players actions when you yourself said they were the most egregious exploiters of the bunch. Then what would qualify for a perma ban? Because the script has seemingly flipped. It went from “These are the harshest offenders and we expect to convert most of the suspensions to perma bans in January” to “They have high playtimes and the punishment is proportional to the action.”

Edit: To me, it just seems like all the complaints about server populations are what fueled this decision. Obviously I can’t state that as a fact because I don’t have the statistics, but to go directly against previously made statements about being very sure these players were the harshest offenders and most will be converted to bans while simultaneously mentioning high playtimes to me says a lot.
    • Like x 1
  9. Ryll Committed Player

Not that I am well known in the game by any sense of the definition....but I don't know a single player who was affected by this directly. Everyone I interacted with before the glitch I still chat with almost every time I play the game. The amount of tears flowing for an incident that involved what....0.5%? of the game population? Probably isn't that much - you are privy to a lot more than the players see. It could be happening behind the forums for all we know.
  10. zNot Loyal Player

It would be good to know how many actually got perm banned..
  11. Proxystar #Perception

*This isn't necessarily you, but anyone it applies too :)

You bought the seal, the transaction was non refundable, you used the seal, you got the breakthrough. You got what you paid for at the time - remember you don't actually own that artifact

You then decided to use the exploit to steal more experience, Daybreak then punished you by 'zeroing' the artifact - count yourself lucky they didn't just ban you and maybe its best to shut the **** up and be appreciative.

If you bought seals to break through an artifact you knew full well you glitched and you bought the seals after the fact then you're even more stupid than words permit.
    • Like x 7
  12. Hello2487 New Player

So the artifacts that were not touched during this suspension will not be zeroed? Or it’s all their artifacts?
  13. Plowed In Loyal Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  14. Ryll Committed Player

Actually I never used the glitch.

I never had any artifacts zeroed because again - I didn't use the glitch. I don't even know anyone in game personally who used the glitch.

I stated that I know players don't own the artifacts....we actually don't even own the accounts if you wanted to take it a step further.

Zeroing artifacts is just a slap on the wrist and it is theft. A non-refundable transaction is not grounds to wipe out the transaction happening in the first place. Money was still exchanged and it is in DB's pockets.

Permabans are more appropriate.
  15. Ryll Committed Player

On a sidenote I had some people in my twitch chat raging about the situation. Made me smile that they took the time to seek me out!
  16. Plowed In Loyal Player

See, it’s not your baseball field and you don’t get to make the rules. Dimensional Ink decides who gets to play ball. Stating that they don’t have “grounds…” Those that do have “grounds to act” already acted. You’re back seat umpiring at best.

Do you mean you “feel” like it’s theft? In that case, have all the feelings you want…
    • Like x 5
  17. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

It's actually that you literally own no assets in the game and thus possess nothing that Daybreak could "steal."

They own your characters, your gear, your artifacts, your XP, and every single literal bit of the game, down to the last ones and zeros.

You own nada. You simply signed a TOS stating all this explicitly and at length and were given the privilege of making use of whatever digital assets/information Daybreak was willing to let you use for a period of time, subject purely to their whims and limitations, in return for your thrusting money at them.

If at any time you felt this was unfair, you were and are free to cease playing and walk away.

But there's nothing you ever owned here to be "stolen." You are owed nothing by Daybreak in return for your voluntarily spent cash. Nothing. Nada. Zero.

Try reading the TOS. Understanding legal agreements you've signed is generally a good idea.
    • Like x 2
  18. Trykz Dedicated Player

And my how the tears are definitely flowing hahahha
    • Like x 1
  19. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Daybreak can't steal what it already owns.

And nobody put a gun to your head to make you spend money on invisible ones and zeros you don't own.

If you walk into a bar and put quarters into their pinball machine, you haven't bought the flippers or balls or your score. You bought nothing but the opportunity to try playing. You don't get a refund if all you do is tilt the machine.
    • Like x 5
  20. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

It still wouldn't be theft. Daybreak gets to make the rules and judge the rules. It owns the entire game and everything in it. They owe players absolutely nothing in return for a monthly, or yearly, or lifetime, membership or other digital transaction.

If tomorrow they said that they're only going to let play players who can prove that they're over six feet tall, have fully tattooed arms, and experience with commercial fishing, they're free to do so. They can do whatever arbitrary thing they want to in the game. No matter what any player may think. Because the company owns ALL of the game. Every. Last. Bit.
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.